What did you receive today?

South Coast Flyer

Yes you can Dave, have a practice on some plain wire. Trick is clean tip on iron, clean in the pad each use and make sure there is silver layer on it, that helps transfer the heat. Use some flux, it helps even though solder often comes with flux in, it burns off before it’s done what it needs to. Tin the parts to be soldered, ie add a dab of solder, the solder pads on the lights do need a bit of heat in them to get the solder to flow. Once all parts are Tinned, hold them together, use a clamp if needed and a short dab from iron will make the solder flow together, only takes a second and remove iron and they will be attached. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 20% off Duchess arrived today.  Fortunately it arrived along with my William Whitelaw which had been sent to Hornby QC.  Consequently when the missus asked what was the delivery I could honestly tell her that it was my A4 Pacific back from repair, glossing over my further 20% off purchase. 

Phew !  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Ilmson said:

@Paul M 

Nice background. Clean transition to the foreground. Where did you get that?

ID backscenes, bought from Model Scenery Supplies. Other photos in the trackplan book and  my " layout is coming along"  thread. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ukpetey said:

There is one left at Malc’s - I would have ordered it but I’m too tight to pay a fiver delivery! 

Standard UK first class postage is £4.99 with signed for at £5.99. That is without the cost of box, paper, tape etc so a fiver is good value really.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rob23 said:

Currently out of stock on the Arnold site but presumably some retailers will be getting stock.

https://uk.arnoldmodel.com/products/ermewa-2-unit-pack-2-axle-silo-wagons-nescafe-black-ep-vi-hn9750

A good price from here - if you live in the UK and you create an account to let them know that you're located here then they come up as around £51 because German VAT is deducted at the checkout. And as long as you don't spend more than (the equivalent of) £135 then HMRC don't add UK VAT when it arrives in the UK so you effectively get them VAT-free here. Postage is around €10 or €12 but it still works out cheaper, plus you've got over £80 headroom to buy even more stuff in the same order as long as you keep below the £135 threshold!

I've had three orders from them in the past and I so far haven't had to pay UK VAT (although presumably that could change at any time if HMRC change their rules). You also might need to factor in any credit card charges into the final price. I've no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer. Other continental shops may also work the same way but this is the only one I've bought from.

They're currently showing as 'Reservation' but presumably it can't be long before they're in stock - they're also showing the SNCF "Transcéréales/CTC" and the DB "Herforder Pils" wagons of the same type:

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Freight+cars+%26+Goods+Wagons/Silo+Container+cars/Arnold-HN9750/gb/modell_430515.html

• Like 1