Hornby R530 Pylons

English Bob

I was so excited to find these pylons after seeing them on an online layout. I ordered them and was massively disappointed to receive a kitset of tiny plastic parts?

With my eyesight I have no chance of assembling them. I should have known the kit would be self build but it just did not occur to me at the time.

Does anybody know of any shop or person who could build these for me. Happy to pay, otherwise I am stuck with a box of bits.

Cheers

Steve

Hi English Bob

Get your self an optivisor you won't regret it if you can afford it get the one with LED lights

I use an optivisor for a lot of things involved in the hobby.

I have had no choice due to life time eye issues.

For a kit like that it is just not worth paying some one to build and paint the kit for you.

regards John

@EB

A word of caution about previous replies. Magnifying aids are very useful but only if there is nothing fundamentally wrong with your eyes such as cataracts, glaucoma or macular degeneration. (I'm not an ophthalmologist so there may be diseases of the eye where magnification will help).

I used to be so short-sighted that I didn't need magnifying aids for close work. A few years ago I had cataract operations and now have the opposite problem, perfect distance vision but no close up vision because the implanted lenses are fixed focal length. I now wear varifocals for normal use and use visors with interchangeable lenses for close work. For really close-up work I also have a set of what are basically spectacles with very high magnification lenses.

If you do have cataracts it also affects your colour vision. Because you compensate for these things I didn't realise that everything looked yellowish until I had had one eye operated on.

Sadly these days there are long waiting lists for cataract operations on the NHS.

Hi top cat

The ophthalmologist suggested to me an optivisor might be helpful.

I have infantile glaucoma. and not that long ago had cataracts done.

The cataracts where a PITA they put a stop to a lot of things before they where fixed.

The beauty of an optivisor is it can be used over the top of my glasses without the risk of damaging them.

If in doubt and you have an ophthalmologist talk to them about the best solution.

there will be a workable solution to the problem

regards John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the finished set, before Royal Mail decided to shake them apart again...

forum_image_64d38c4395672.thumb.png.c2eb74fc7e108e4c8770ee84b4d4b1d8.png

They're not a bad kit, but the main "frames" tend to curl backwards. I overcame that by gluing the lower half, letting that set,and then gluing the upper half. The instructions are a bit poor, quite blurry/low resolution, but in all pretty straightforward.

(To the left you can see a Dapol/Kitmaster tank wagon under construction, which I was doing while waiting for glue to dry on the pylons)