HM 7000 track power connection

George-351466

I am converting my extensive loft layout from 4 analogue cab control power to HM 7000. Disconnecting wiring and connecting all track to live status is well advanced, but I do not want to cut a section of track out to fit the clunky R 8241 “digital power track”, to connect my new Hornby transformer. Is there a suitable (femail) socket available to plug into the two pin HM7020 psu harness, or do I simply cut off the 2 pin plug and solder onto my existing track connection?

If you really need an additional track connection with sockets for a Hornby power lead plug, use the R8242 that clips into Hornby track, thus no track lifting and replacement is necessary.

Another alternative is to use standard electrical screwdown nylon terminal strip connectors to join the HM7000 power lead 2 pin plug to bare wires i.e. your existing track wires.

I plug my PSU adapter cable 2-pin plug into a suitably sized terminal block, which then feeds 2-wires into one side of a DPDT switch, The other side of the switch feeds DCC from my controller to the layout as required for testing.

You could do the same with your existing analogue controller and direct PSU feeds to the layout.

A search of the internet will find the correct femail 5.5/2.1mm power barrel jack plug which you would need to solder to the existing wires that connect to your track. This should take the male power plug from your hornby transformer. Ignore the HM7020 psu harness.

@Goathland.

George stated "new Hornby transformer". Hornby digital power packs recommended for HM7000 have 6.3mm/3.0mm plugs not 5.5mm/2.1mm ones.

Inline 6.3mm female sockets are literally as rare as hens teeth. Your suggested 5.5mm inline female socket is too small.

This size information is also documented on page 16 of the HM7000 decoder manual.

Not a problem, you are not the first to not realise the size difference. Particularly as the 5.5/2.1mm is such a common size. It wasn't a case of correcting you, it was more to do with not leading other readers down a costly blind alley.