HM7000 sound decoders

SNIKNNAI

I had problems with the sound chips ( 2 - 8 pin). First I reprogrammed the said chips , using an iPad. I had trouble getting them to operate, with little success.

I then transferred them both to a I-phone, with no look. Both chips stopped working. I used the pass codes Hornby provided, getting one to reset, but not the other. In the end, and after a lot of messing around I reset CV8 to 8 which reset all settings, but left the downloaded sound on the chip.

So it sounds like you have both decoders functional on your iPhone (albeit with the default sound profiles) is that correct?

If it is, and you are seeking assistance with loading different sound profiles, you might like to try the HM7000 troubleshooting guide:

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/8326626694812/HM.DCC___HM7000_-_Troubleshooting__3-4-2023_.pdf

Additionally if you have no joy loading any profile including the class 08 (which is smallest file) - you might want to try ruling out any environment causes:

• setting up a shortish run of track powered by dc/dcc with nothing else connected (to rule out power/layout interference issues).

• ensuring this section of track is absolutely spotless (to rule out dirty track).

• setting up this track closer to your WiFi router (to rule out internet connection issues).

Just to add what LT&SR_NSE said about moving your track closer to the WiFi router - it is worth a try.

I have what might be considered for HM7000 the perfect set-up - a Hornby 4amp power supply, Hornby Elite (v1.45) and an Apple iPhone - nothing else. I have the App and had downloaded the 9F sound profile on to a 21pin TXS decoder fitted to a Hornby 9F - this was all done in my railway room (spare bedroom).

I have a TXS 8pin fitted to a Hornby rebuilt Merchant Navy Class which despite several days of trying virtually every sound profile available, would not load, with the exception of the Class 08 shunter - great in a M/N Class!!

So I took the Elite, power supply, loco and a length of track downstairs into the same room as the WiFi hub. The M/N sound profile loaded at the first attempt. It has been recommended that I get one of those plug-in adaptors that enhances your WiFi signal throughout the house - we stream Netflix and all manner of things, so had always assumed the WiFi was up to scratch. So it's worth a try.

As a policy, I don't normally recommend technology products, but I am breaking my own policy rule.

My Wi-fi router is in my upstairs spare bedroom (box room) fitted out as a study. This bedroom is at the front of the house.

Wi-fi reception in the downstairs front through lounge is a bit iffy, particularly at the rear house end of the lounge. Wi-fi reception in the garden is non existent.

I installed a TP-link RE450 Wi-fi extender in my loft. It just plugs into an extension mains socket (no batteries) screwed to a roof truss, thus it is mounted at about head height in clear air space. It is dual band, but I have it configured to use the 5Ghz band. It has an option for a cabled RJ45 uplink, but I have it configured to take Wi-fi in as the uplink and extend Wi-fi out. The Wi-fi output is configured with its own dedicated SSID so a scan can identify it as being different to the main router Wi-fi output SSID.

General Wi-fi reception within the house in all rooms is now bullet proof and reception is now extended to my Garage at the far end of my garden (about 20 metres from house boundary).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re450/

P.S I only use Wi-fi for mobile devices & Laptops. My TV and associated entertainment devices (numerous) are fed from a co-located in the lounge 10/100 Ethernet Switch with a 1G cabled uplink to my router.

All of this confirms what I had concluded some while ago…if you haven’t got gold standard Wi-Fi, you are going to need gold standard patience to get these files uploaded onto your decoder.

I got up in the small hours one morning to load a loco, and it all fell into place as if it were coal from a coaling tower!

In contrast, yesterday our broadband went down - it occasionally does, but is back now. Flying Scotsman stopped several times.

Don’t ask me why.

It’s not such a big issue at all if you put it into perspective.

Previously to have a particular sound file you either needed to buy a very expensive loco with a ready installed sound file, or a very expensive sound decoder with the appropriate pre installed sound file, or a sound capable decoder and send it off to have the sound file installed or have the technical equipment capable of installing a sound profile, a sound capable decoder (expensive) and access to the sound file in a format that could be installed by you with the expensive equipment that will probably hardly get used.

Investing a little time seems a small price to pay, a sound capable decoder and speaker system for £70 is incredible value in anyone’s book. Access to free sound files and a free app that does the work of any additional technical equipment that does work and gives the flexibility to overwrite with sound /running files as many times as you like, for free is ideal.

My observations are, to avoid corruption of the sound file is in two parts, a clean install of the file via internet to the app on the device and then reliable upload to the decoder from the device. Max no of attempts with sound file for me is 3, but usually no more than 2. People are achieving success by following a few of the recommendations when things are problematic and CS at Hornby are there in extreme cases. All in all, pretty effective, in the real world, system. I know of one user that seems to get sound files in first time every time…he does wear an earthing strap when he handles the decoder and uses an anti static mat when installing too.