Using the HM DCC app on an iPad and iPhone

Muhammad-354651

I have the Scotsman train set. I have successfully installed the sound decoder and downloaded the software onto my iPad. Everything works well. My question is, I have also downloaded the software onto my iPhone. I know I can’t use them simultaneously as it would conflicts. However, at times I would like to run it from my iPad and on others from my iPhone. Can this be done?

The decoders are attached to the device you first linked them to. This is apparently for security to avoid others taking control of your locomotive. You can change the controlling device, but it’s not designed to be switched in the flexible way you’re seeking.

I do understand the security aspect but can’t see why they couldn’t achieve the same effect through linking to the user account, as seen with many Smart Home devices.

The way it works is you set up the same locos in each app then use the assign/deassign - link/delink procedure for the decoder in them as required to swap that loco between apps.

A simple analogy would be you coming in from work, handing over the car keys to your wife who then goes out shopping.

@Moccasin your smart home devices do not simply link to your online account, (unless their security is pathetically non-existent) they also link with your router’s WiFi network, (SSID & password) they cannot be used with another router/network without changing these settings!

Similarly Bluetooth uses ‘pairing’ (called linking by HMDCC app) so once your decoders have been paired with one handheld device, to change to another, they need to be unpaired & paired with a different one. (Hornby include the reset code facility to cover instances where a fault occurs & graceful unpairing can’t take place!)

Future (smoother/simpler linking) plans will require development of Bluetooth technology to allow multiple pairings.

The original bluetooth allowed a theoretical pairing of 255 devices, it's probably a lot more now.

The actual limit was more to do with hardware limitations of the device and in most cases if a new pairing was made that exceeded the limit implemented the oldest was deleted