For those that missed out on the Club Exclusive R30283 BR Coronation Class

DarkRedCape

Blimey, just seen the purple ones -- how much!!!! Unbelievable - pure greed or a rare opportunity to own something unique and amazing!?

What’s really unbelievable about this is while people were paying almost £1k for it on eBay, it was still available at retailers for the standard price.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey, just seen the purple ones -- how much!!!! Unbelievable - pure greed or a rare opportunity to own something unique and amazing!?

What’s really unbelievable about this is while people were paying almost £1k for it on eBay, it was still available at retailers for the standard price.

Yes but if you search for "sold items", you will find that few if any achieved those silly prices.

Another Coronation has just gone on eBay for £320, madness.

Agreed, and yet some people seem quite happy to buy for the £300 mark, the Queen Elizabeth one double that +

It will be interesting to see what the Coronation Class 66 go for open_mouth

She’s arrived! Number #8 aswell. Wonder if got one of the first pre order cancellations?

Pretty sure a discussion about certificate ordering has happened before (either in this forum or other social media platforms) and the conclusion was that the certificates get jumbled up in the processes printing, inserting the certificates in the boxes, shipping the boxes on pallets and then order completion to the end customers - as such there is not really any link between an early certificate number and who ordered first

Oh, I’m not fussed by the number, just think it’s pretty cool I got a single digit one! Agreed though, worth at least a tenner on top 😉

Anyway, not all good news, seems someone forgot to attach the bogey so I’m not able to run her in! I can’t understand how it was placed in the box without it being attached. Hopefully Hornby pick up my email in the morning.

Hornby routinely have attached a 'small wheeled' bogie which permits full articulation over the sharper 2nd radius curves, ADDING larger wheeled bogies in addition (obvious) as an optional fitment for a more realistic look, for those using larger radius curves.

Straight fitment of the larger-wheeled bogie could mean interference on sharper / smaller radius curves.

Are you saying you DO have both bogies, or that the larger wheeled bogie is present, as an extra - normal - but that the smaller-wheeled bogie isn't fitted at all?

Al.

There is just one bogey in the box. When I lifted the engine out, the bogey stayed in the box and I couldn’t see any screws loose in the packaging. These things happen, I’m sure Hornby will send me the parts I require. The part that connects the chassis to the bogey was also loose and rusted! Maybe this was a display model or a customer return?

forum_image_647707d1df4a0.thumb.png.44fa6c0b0dff0be09a93f518eff799c6.png

If that's been purchased as a 'new' locomotive, unless they've changed protocol with the latest tooling, very latest issues, you should have the smaller-wheeled bogie attached (with that mount), and the larger-wheeled bogie in a small, sealed plastic packet.

There should be mounting screws, possibly an insulating washer, and a fine spring - Going Spare (sorry to volunteer, again!) will doubtless confirm.

Al.

... unless they've changed protocol with the latest tooling, very latest issues, you should have the smaller-wheeled bogie attached (with that mount), and the larger-wheeled bogie in a small, sealed plastic packet.

The Coronation does not come with a spare bogie (it does come with the flanged set for the rear pony truck/cartazzi though)

Just opened mine - it arrived the other day. All appears to be in good order - Certificate 465.

I will fit it with a 21pin TXS sound decoder - not sure whether to fit a round speaker into the round (28mm) speaker enclosure in the tender, or lengthen the speaker wire and see whether I can fit the one supplied with the decoder into the loco itself. I noticed with my M/N Nederland Line, which I have fitted the round speaker into the tender, it is fairly (very) obvious that the sound is coming from the tender - not the end of the world, but would sound better with the sound up front.

I am still minded to fit it with black nameplatesthinking_face

There is just one bogey in the box. When I lifted the engine out, the bogey stayed in the box and I couldn’t see any screws loose in the packaging. These things happen, I’m sure Hornby will send me the parts I require. The part that connects the chassis to the bogey was also loose and rusted! Maybe this was a display model or a customer return?

forum_image_647707d1df4a0.thumb.png.496a5eb61fefa5fc2ead927fee1ebb15.png

I would not be happy with that.

I ordered mine before it was even announced via email, but still got a high number. The certificate is a really nice touch. I only have one other loco with a certificate.

forum_image_647859ef129b6.png.c413d604c5075118188530a6bcae2d72.png

No bogie issues here, but the same thing did happen on my R3857 Coronation. Lifted the loco out of the box, bogie stayed in the box, the screws were all there, so just put it back together. So, it happens, even though it shouldn't.

I think I prefer the intermediate rebuilt look, with the chamfered top of the smokebox prior to the next update - the 'normal look'.

'Best look' for me were 2:

1. Non-streamlined, no blinkers, LMS Crimson Lake, double chimney.
  2. Streamlined - not fussy - blue / blue wheels or CL / black wheels.

Al.