Confirmed list of Hornby locos working and not working with HM7000 DCC Bluetooth

The following is a list of my locos I have installed an HM7000 8-pin or 21-pin Bluetooth decoder, and the locos I have been unable to (4 Pin) or find difficult.

First, I want to applaud Hornby. This is an excellent solution for DCC. Using an App to control your trains effortlessly without needing a degree in coding to get loco settings up in a CV profile is a common problem with most users of DCC controllers.

Secondly, some people still think that the HM 7000 DCC Bluetooth decoders don’t fit in most locos or do not work correctly. Some think that when using the app on a DC system, the sound does not work. All untrue. This is mainly due to one influencer's purposeful negative comments about HM7000. He seems to set an agenda against Hornby, be it price (locos) or quality (HM7000 blows up). Without the positive videos from Jennifer  Kirk (@JenniferEKirk) showing the opposite of what Hornby (and other manufacturers) locos can fit in one of these HM7000 decoders, these untrue rumours of decoders blowing up and selective non-Hornby locos not fitting would have got a footing in the fake news rumour mill.

I have now purchased over thirty 8-pin and 21-pin HM7000 Bluetooth decoders with sound. Most I purchased from the Hornby website itself as a club member. I want to get a list together by as many club members to show all the locos from Hornby we have now installed as a community in our locos. 

The following is a list of all locos I have successfully installed the HM7000 Bluetooth decoders with sound. Most are 8 Pin. I only use an HM7000 system now via the HM7000 app.

1.     R30166 VTEC Class 91 Bo Bo number 91110 “Battle of Britain” and the LNER dummy car - I used two 21-pin HM7000 Bluetooth decoders.

2.     R3973 Hornby Dublo BR A4 Class 4-6-2 Number 6007 “Sir Nigel Gresley” - 8 pin HM7000 decoder

3.     R3972 Hornby Dublo LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 Number 4900 “Gannet” – 8 Pin

4.     R30112 Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 “Lamport & Holt” - 8 Pin HM7000 Bluetooth decoder

5.     R30109 Hornby Dublo Princess Coronation Class 7P “City of Litchfield” – 8 Pin

6.     R30215 HST Jubilee Train “Queen Elizabeth 2” Platinum Jubilee HST with dummy car – used two 21 Pin HM7000 decoders.

7.     R3762 Hitachi Asuma HST 800/1 and its dummy car. I used two 21 pin HM7000 decoders.

8.     R30077 Class 43 HST Blue Midland Pullman and its dummy car. I used two 21-pin HM7000 decoders. 

9.     R30211 Hornby Dublo A3 Class 4-6-2 Number 60103 “Flying Scotsman” Era 11 – 8 Pin

10.  R30209 Hornby Dublo A3 Class 4-6-2 Number 4472 “Flying Scotsman” Alan Pegler  Era 5 – 8 Pin

11.  R30208 Hornby Dublo A3 Class 4-6-2 Number 4472 “Flying Scotsman” Era 6 – 8 Pin

12.  R30207 Hornby Dublo A1 Class 4-6-2 Number 4472 “Flying Scotsman” Era 3 – 8 Pin

13.  R30206 Hornby Dublo A1 Class 4-6-2 Number 1472 “Flying Scotsman” Era 3 – 8 Pin

14.  R3978 LNER Class W1 4-6-4 Number 10000 Hush Hush Photographic Grey – 8 Pin

15.  R30001 Princess Royal Class 7P Number 6203 “Princess Margret Rose” – 8 Pin

16.  R3999X Princess Royal Class 7P Number 6205 “Princess Victoria” – 8 Pin

17.  R3681 Princess Coronation Class 7P Number 6241 “City of Edinburgh” – 8 Pin

18. LSWR T9 Class 4-4-0 Number 120 in green – 8 Pin – Note I had to remove the weight in the tender to fit it, then added some weight back in but not the Hornby supplied weight.

19.  R3568 BR Class 71 Bo Bo Number E5018 in green Era 6 - 8 Pin

20.  R3569 BR Class 71 Bo Bo Number E5005 in blue Era 6 - 8 Pin

21.  R30026 GBRf Class 66 Co Co Number 60026 “Helvellyn” – 8 Pin

22.  R3901 Class 60 RA7 BR Sub Sector COCOAS in yellow – 8 Pin

23.  R3743 Class 60 RA7 BR Sub Sector “Bow Fell” in grey – 8 Pin

24.  R3751 Caledonian Sleeper Class 87 Bo Bo Number 87002 “Royal Sovereign” – 8 Pin

25.  R3739 Class 87 RA6 “Royal Stephenson” – 8 Pin

26.  R3745 Network Rail Class 31 A1A-A1A Number 31602 “Driver Dave Green” – 8-Pin

27.  R3614 Patriot Class 5XP black “RHYL” – 8 Pin 

28. BR Princess Royal Class 8P Number 46211 “Queen Maud” – 8 Pin

29.  R3703 BR Thompson Class 01 Number 63806 in Black - 8 Pin

30.  R3856 BR Princess Coronation Class 8P 4-6-2  Number 46257 “City of Salford” – 8 Pin

31.  R3831 Thompson Class A2/2 “Thane of Fife” – 8 Pin

32.  R30221 LMS Class 4F Number 3924 - 8 Pin

33.  R3954 Class 73 “The Beatles” – 8 Pin

34.  R30074 Class 66 Co Co Number 66113

The following cannot use HM7000 decoders with sound due to size limitations.

1.     R3721X GWR Class 61XX Large Prairie 4MT 2-6-2T Number 6110 - 8 Pin but has a standard DCC decoder built in. 

2.     R3723X BR Class 61XX Large Prairie 4MT 2-6-2T Number 6145 - 8 Pin but has a standard DCC decoder built in. 

There are no 4-pin HM7000 decoders, so the following are not usable on HM7000 yet.

1.     R3870 NCB Peckett B2 Class 0-6-OST “The Earl” – 4 Pin

2.     R3766 NCB Peckett B2 Class 0-6-OST Number 1426 – 4 Pin 

Please let me know what Hornby locos you have installed an HM7000 Bluetooth decoder to and what ones you have trouble with so club members can get a full list of locos that can fit the new Bluetooth decoder.

Impressive list Mark.

Just on your Large Prairies and your saying they have a decoder built in - that’s not strictly correct. The decoder is plugged into the 8-pin socket in the loco. Easy enough to unplug it and replace it with an -8TXS if you wish and assuming there is room.

Here we go again. I have watched both videos from the two contributors that you mention. Now Jenny Kirk was quite honest and pointed out the very many locos that they won't fit. Sam, who I assume you are talking about, pointed out that a certain configuration didn't fit any of his non Hornby locos, which is true. It is also of great use to Hornby, I nearly bought one of the HM7000 series Plux18 ones to fit into my EFE class 143 which would have been really bad news, it is about twice the size of the available slot. Similarly he raised the issue of using any DC power supply to power said module. Hornby should have realised that there are many DC controllers out there that generate unfiltered DC with peak voltages well in excess of 20 volts, I pointed this out many posts ago. The solution is easy, just put a large capacitor across the outputs and this issue should disappear.

Finally, some of us don't use "Apple" products, so the current HM7000 doesn't work for us and I am really surprised nobody has laid into Hornby over the delay, least of all Sam.

As a final point I have bought a very many locos off Hornby this past two years, ones that I would never have bought because Sam did an extremely honest review of them. If he says they are good then they generally are, sadly the same can't be said of the other reviewer. So you may hate him, but he probably makes Hornby a lot of sales in the more obscure locos they make.

As to the device fitting my locos I could get my Dremel out and machine a slot, I prefer not to, generally I can buy a Zimo decoder that does. Try fitting one into the APT.

Strange isn’t it how folk can read/listen to/watch the same equipment critique and come away with either a useful, well balanced, truthful, helpful and insightful narrative - or - a jaundiced, negative one. R-

I do have one loco fitted with HM7000, it is the rebuilt purple West Country Queen Elizabeth it still has the default sound loaded as I use Android products, so least said about that the better. The other issue I had was that the 21 pin HM7000 that the loco uses didn't sit correctly on the socket as Hornby had placed a small connector on the bottom of the PCB. Funny on the 8 pin variant both sockets are on the top. I had to replace the mounting screws for the PCB for it to sit nearly properly and work reliably. So not what I would call a perfect experience. I must admit I am used to buying products that fit without any modification. It is interesting that you got it to fit in a Duchess class loco, even with a TTS decoder and a super thin speaker it is a squeeze, especially tenders fitted with the inner sloping coal hopper.

There’s already been a similar thread posted in which I’ve added my list. However, I shall list again…

Hornby railroad class 67’s & Lima Class 67’s - all fitted with largest enclosure and stay alives.

Hornby Class 66 - fitted with largest enclosure and stay alive.

Dapol Class 73’s - fitted with largest enclosure and stay alive.

Hornby Class 73’s - fitted with largest enclosure and stay alive.

Vitrains Class 47 - fitted with smaller square enclosure and stay alive.

All large diesels really, so plenty of room.

Next challenge is working out how to fit my Bachmann 94xx pannier with the larger hornby next-18 chip because at the moment, I’d say that was one that doesn’t fit.

Hi Mark-356967,

Just wondering, where did you fit the decoder in your R3569 BR Class 71 Blue? I have the same Loco. Unless I remove the fake Booster plastic piece and put it there, the only other place I can see it will fit is under the PCB.

For others: I found there is ready made enclosure place for the sugar cube speaker next to the bottom switches. Just have to disassemble to run the wires.

Cheers,

Wayne

@Mark-356967

I disagree with your assessment of the Class 61xx series of Prairies. As Fishy points out you can simply remove the supplied decoders and fit your own. I have fitted an 8 pin TXS with speaker and power bank, (Speaker in one of the side tanks, decoder and power bank in the coal bunker) into a R3719X, which is essentially the same as the two you mention, just different liveries.

@colinb

Then we come to Jenny Kirk, now I like her reviews but you have to be very careful, she gets "freebies" off Hornby, so there is no way she is going to give them a bad review, . .

You may wish to amend your post or cite proof of statement.

Hi Wayne-in-Oz

You are right in that I fitted the main bluetooth decoder and speaker under the PC board on the R3569 BR Class 71 Blue. I just disassembled my loco for you and created a small video showing it running with the model top off so you can see it does fit and work with the HM7000 fitted.

forum_image_646c64ffc0e92.thumb.png.846ced117f2feaff286165bc2d9a8184.png

I have also created a video with the model loco resembled. I have also taken a few pictures as well for you. I will load them up to We Transfer and give a link but I think under the rules of the forum I need a moderator to approve the video in a we transfer link before I post it. Please can 96RAF or RogerB please give guidance for helping me share my video with Wayne.

Cheers

Mark

Thank you M.Mathews.

Most appreciated. Can you please list the catalogue numbers as there is certainly a difference with old and new tooling on the steam locos so some models fit the decoder in the tender whist others in the actually engine. I know this is not the issue with most diesels but if we get a catalogue list R number of actual locos working with HM7000, I hope it helps everyone.

How are you finding the stay alives? I am not sure that I can get them to fit in some of the steam locos tender.

Kindest regards

Mark

Thank you Fishmanoz for your reply,

The purpose of my list was for what locos fit the HM7000 series of bluetooth with speaker using the app. The 8 pin HM7000 with speaker cannot fit in these two Prairie locos. I am waiting for the bluetooth only (no sound speaker) version to come out in the summer and see if this fits. I think it may.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark

If you you referring to the Prairies in the range R3719 to R3725 then the 8 pin TXS decoder, speaker and power bank, (stay alive) definitely do fit, unless there is a difference in dimensions between one and another, but I believe not. I fitted an R3719 only a few weeks ago. As I said, speaker with its smallest enclosure in one of the side tanks, decoder in the under side of the coal bunker. Then by removing the coal and drilling a 5mm hole in the floor below, the power bank fits snugly with its wire fed through the hole and plugged into the decoder below. Then the coal can be put back in over the power bank.

Hello Mark
If you you referring to the Prairies in the range R3719 to R3725 then the 8 pin TXS decoder, speaker and power bank, (stay alive) definitely do fit, unless there is a difference in dimensions between one and another, but I believe not. I fitted an R3719 only a few weeks ago. As I said, speaker with its smallest enclosure in one of the side tanks, decoder in the under side of the coal bunker. Then by removing the coal and drilling a 5mm hole in the floor below, the power bank fits snugly with its wire fed through the hole and plugged into the decoder below. Then the coal can be put back in over the power bank.

Thank you Brewman, I will look at that.

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the info and going to the trouble of disassembling to take the picture. That's how I trial fitted it. I have got my decoder in but removed the Booster for the time being. Was a bit concerned about heat from the motor.

I probably don't need the video but it would be great for others I'm sure.

Hardest bit was pulling out the motor and running the speaker cable then getting the motor back in and connected back to both bogies.

Thanks again

Hi Wayne-in-Oz
You are right in that I fitted the main bluetooth decoder and speaker under the PC board on the R3569 BR Class 71 Blue.

Thank you M.Mathews.

Most appreciated. Can you please list the catalogue numbers as there is certainly a difference with old and new tooling on the steam locos so some models fit the decoder in the tender whist others in the actually engine. I know this is not the issue with most diesels but if we get a catalogue list R number of actual locos working with HM7000, I hope it helps everyone.

How are you finding the stay alives? I am not sure that I can get them to fit in some of the steam locos tender.

Kindest regards

Mark

Probably not much point in listing catalogue numbers as for example, the Hornby class 59 & 66 all have the same tooling and therefore could be 100+ numbers to list. I’m yet to fit any kettles but certainly on the waiting list!

In response to 96RAF. Have you never watched any of Jenny Kirk's videos? A common phase is "Hornby kindly lent me this loco".

I have no gripe against Jenny, in fact I like her reviews.

In relation to the original post I would assume the HM7000 will work with any loco, it is after all a DCC decoder, the big issue is whether it will fit. It would be interesting to see if it works in a Wrenn with the decoder in the loco body.

Post edited to remove defamatory remarks. R-

Being lent a loco to test is not a 'freebie' Colin. By definition an item on loan would be returned rather than retained by the recipient. She doesn't hide the sponsorship of her channel by the rival decoder manufacturer so the use of one of their adapters is hardly relevant and definitely not relevant to the bias your earlier post infers.

If I were her I would be instructing a libel lawyer regarding your defamatory comment.

Yes I do watch her videos, the same as I watch other folks’ videos to see if they are fair or simply climbing on the repetitive band wagon with nothing further to add to the reviews.

One thing for sure is I am fed up of watching the back of someone’s hand taking 20 minutes to empty a box, filmed on a wobbly hand held device, whilst stuttering through their unscripted dialogue.

As part of the Android app test team JK was provided with a couple of decoders the same as the rest of us. Her HM7K related videos are a direct outcome of that critical testing.

As Steve says she openly flags up credits to her sponsors on her videos.

Well SteveM6 we tend to differ in our views there but that is no surprise. As to 96RAF, have you not heard of fast forwarding a video, there are some people that probably find that interesting. Some people get really concerned about what the packing is like. I must admit I am not generally interested in the packing unless it is extremely bad, I am more how easy it is to get apart for a DCC decoder and its mechanism, which Sam does a really good job of doing. There is another reviewer I watch that tends to waffle a lot, but hidden in there are some hidden gems of information, so I will put up with the waffle to collect that data.

As with all YouTube videos it is entirely up to the viewer whether they watch them or not.

Perhaps we should get back to the original subject.

To be quite honest Fishmanoz the list would have more relevance if it listed whether each loco needed modifying to fit the HM7000. Jenny did cover this quite well in her video, identifying what locos it would fit and the one she modified. I have seen locos where someone has machined away the highly detailed tender interior, covered it with a false top with coal on to get a sound decoder to fit. Sure it fits, but not everyone including myself wants to do that. Quite often with a lot of 8 pin DCC decoders I have often shorted the wiring harness by resoldering it and in other cases taken a Zimo 6 pin decoder, because it is small, and added the necessary 8 pin header. Sure it fits in the loco but not everyone has the ability to do that. The HM7000 is a DCC decoder so it should work in any loco as long as the current limit is not exceeded. The bigger issues are with size and whether in the case of the 21 pin option the lower connector doesn't interfere with anything. I do wonder if it would work inside a metal bodied loco like a Wrenn because of the Faraday cage effect, the new Hornby HDs get away with it because their tenders where the decoder is fitted, are plastic.