Which Samsung phones will support HM|DCC Android App?

pd91223

I need to buy a new phone this week and ideally it should be a Samsung one, although nothing fancy.

There's a long list of Samsung phones that currently won't run the HM|DCC App, but can anyone on the Test team give me an indication of which of the latest (2022/2023) models will run it - once it's released?

Samsung S9 and S22 and Lenovo M8 tablet all work well in testing.

It dosent make sense that the s20 or s21 dont work yet much older ( s9 ) devices work, although it does say fix in progress. But what exactly does that mean?

It dosent make sense that the s20 or s21 dont work yet much older ( s9 ) devices work, although it does say fix in progress. But what exactly does that

This will explain why the Android App has taken so long to get right. I don't know how many Samsung phones there are, but Hornby have had to test each one as a problem arose. Sometimes an older phone worked well whereas a newer version showed a problem. Not a five minute task as some seem to think.

It dosent make sense that the s20 or s21 dont work yet much older ( s9 ) devices work, although it does say fix in progress. But what exactly does that mean?

S21 downloads, installs, logs in. Can get to settings and layouts. I'll try with a decoder tonight although this wasn't the phone I was going to use, I'll just test for the benefit of others.

Just to update my s20 works perfectly as does the Lenovo M7 tablet

It would make sense if the system could tell Hornby when the app had been successfully loaded onto a particular device to save all this manual reporting, but this thread at least benefits others who may be wondering if their phone has been proven to work with the app or needs a certain hack to get it work. Usually the stopper is setting permission on the phone for location, camera, etc. Some phones set these as required, some set them all by default and require the user to restrict access if desired.

• 1 month later...
Tutorial works on my z fold 4, but awaiting the dongle before I can test it properly, but itl have to be good to replace my dcc ex!

What are you expecting this dongle to do and do you have a controller with an Xpressnet port to plug it into.

I'm hoping the dongle will be able to control my existing dcc equipped locos and my hornby accessory decoders via my hornby select.

The advert for the dongle suggests this should work but until it arrives I'm not sure if itl do as I wish.

I'm hoping the dongle will be able to control my existing dcc equipped locos and my hornby accessory decoders via my hornby select.

The advert for the dongle suggests this should work but until it arrives I'm not sure if itl do as I wish.

Providing your existing locos are addressed within the Select range all will be well.

Your existing locos are assigned to the dongle. The app sends control commands to that loco over Bluetooth to the dongle which tells the Select to control that loco by dcc through the rails as normal.

Any number of regular decoders can be assigned to the dongle and by wayof using more than one dongle using a daisy chain adapter (similar to the Select Walkabout adaptor) several users will be able to control their own batch of locos via their own app.

This could be very handy for a club layout allowing several users to control operations at the same time.

The app is being looked at to bring acc decoders under dongle control.

• 3 months later...