Complex Speed Curves

I don’t think there is a suitable 3 cylinder sound file available.

The A1/A3 whistles are totally wrong.

If there is one issue with HM7000 is the lack of files likely to be available in the foreseeable future.

The locos I have that require a sound decoder are that way because Hornby have never brought out the TTS files.

This will seriously affect my future purchases.

I think Hornby should publish a list of all the sound files they plan to issue over the next 2 years.

@WI

I would say that is a reasonable request. I am in a similar boat in that I model GWR and (pre) SR. Currently there are no GWR profiles and only two SRs, neither of which belong to any locos I have. So yes, it would be good to know what I can look forward to.

At the risk of opening a can of worms - is there any intention for Hornby to "simply" use the BEMF capabilities of the decoder for synchronized chuffs?

Without naming names, there are several other sound decoder manufacturers that do this (and more) with BEMF for steam decoders suitable for O down to N gauges, albeit at a different (higher) price bracket.

The TXS HM-DCC decoders are a lovely product for where they sit in the marketplace, by all appearances (and have induced me to dip my toes in Hornby TT120), but I can't help but imagine the possibilities of the ease of HM7000 programming combined with top-end decoder sound capabilities.

At the risk of opening a can of worms - is there any intention for Hornby to "simply" use the BEMF capabilities of the decoder for synchronized chuffs?
Without naming names, there are several other sound decoder manufacturers that do this (and more) with BEMF for steam decoders suitable for O down to N gauges, albeit at a different (higher) price bracket.
The TXS HM-DCC decoders are a lovely product for where they sit in the marketplace, by all appearances (and have induced me to dip my toes in Hornby TT120), but I can't help but imagine the possibilities of the ease of HM7000 programming combined with top-end decoder sound capabilities.

TTS used BEMF to regulate chuffs but only to enable chuff or coast and switch chuff range.

TXS does not use BEMF for chuff regulation, only load compensation, but it compares throttle demanded speed step with real speed step achieved by the motor. There is more to it than that as explained in the famous manual - pages 81/82.

TTS used BEMF to regulate chuffs but only to enable chuff or coast and switch chuff range.
TXS does not use BEMF for chuff regulation, only load compensation, but it compares throttle demanded speed step with real speed step achieved by the motor. There is more to it than that as explained in the famous manual - pages 81/82.

Understood - I think one fundamental difference is the use of pre recorded sound "bands" for the exhaust rather than real-time generation and mixing of exhaust beats. Custom speed tables seem like a reasonable way to get things "close enough".

I'll be curious to play with it when the digital sets come in stock and ship out...

• 4 weeks later...
Could you clarify where CV29 and CV144 are relevant to setting the speed curve?
What should their settings be?

Appendix 6 of the famous decoder manual explains the relationship between a simple 3-point speed curve and a complex multi-point speed curve and how either is invoked by setting of bit 4 in CV29.

CV144 is for setting a motor response parameter, nothing to do with overall speed curve, simple or complex.

I'd just like to say, the custom speed curve for 3 cylinders posted earlier in the thread does a very fair job of syncing the wheel speed and chuff rate for my TT FS.

It does result in a very non-linear feeling throttle response, but then again real trains/locos are anything but linear, we're all just so used to driving them like slot cars from years of DC controller dials...