Getting Select firmware upgrade in Australia

Aussie Fred

Further to my question in the "Hornby point motor setup" thread, I thought to start a new one for this question.

Has anyone in Australia had a firmware upgrade for their Select controller, (mine is 1.5), did they send it to UK or what. I contacted local distributor Southern Model Sales and they advised me that they don't do it here and I have to send it to UK. I am not surprised by that as when I had a loco motor fail and sent it back to the model shop I bought it from, they forwaded it to SMS who just got another motor (it was the wrong one) and sent it and the loco back to the shop for them to fit it. The shop had to order the motor themselves and fit it.

The last time this question was asked (and it has been asked more than once) the answer was that only Hornby UK can do it.

However at 1.5 your Select IMO would acheive very little benefit relative to the cost and inconvenience of posting to the UK involved in being updated to 1.6. In principle the 1.6 firmware would only add the ability to write to CVs 1 to 255 (but NOT read them) and your posting history suggests that your Select is only a 'back up' controller as you posted that you also have a NCE PowerCab, so I assume you can use that controller to read/write CVs.

As PH states the subject has been discussed before and it has been suggested that Hornby set up a dealer in Oz to be able to do the job locally as there is obviously a need , maybe not hundreds but certainly several 10s of units.

The task itself is not onerous taking only a few minutes to achieve, but it does require kit to interface a PC running the update software app with the Select main PIC processor and of course it needs the firmware update hex file.

There has also been talk that use of the HM7040 dongle could facilitate an update of the Select but that has yet to be demonstrated and lies low on the wish list. One stopper to this could be some earlier Selects have a soldered jumper on the motherboard which must be cleared to remove write protection and allow the firmware update. Later motherboards have this jumper open by default as the write protect is controlled in the firmware.

Thanks Folks, yes, it is only a backup and to use on my test track ATM while my mainline is being upgraded which has a powercab connected to it. My master plan is to later have my test track alonside the main layout with an isolating switch (either way) to utilise the powercab on my test track when needed. Definately not worth sending the select to the UK although postage to and from the UK is better than postage within Aussie.

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty poor that Southern Model Sales can't do that. I don't know if it's their fault or Hornby's. Probably Hornby's to be honest. I live quite near Southern Model Sales & 10 or so years ago you could go in there. They had a small workshop & the young lad in there was quite helpful.

When Simon Kohler came here last October to speak at our convention he spent a bit of time at Southern Models so he could claim it as a business trip. We didn't know at the time but he was probably giving them a rundown on the new TT gauge stuff & also HM7000 I guess.

I still think it's pretty poor that the local distributor doesn't provide any sort of service whatsoever.