Class 43 sound set pre-order just cancelled by Hornby - why?

See See Rider

Hi All,

Be warned - my pre-order for one of the Class 43 sound sets was just cancelled by Honrby without reason. That's not cool.

Now what? Hornby lists a new product to replace it at increased cost?

I was just looking at those era engines and all of them have been pushed back; some are 23-24 and the rest are spring/summer 24. Hornby should address this ASAP because this throws one of my plans completely out the window for now.

I’ve just sent an email asking the why it has been cancelled, as I did not request it to be cancelled and still want it.

Will wait to see what the response is and I’m pretty sure, although, I haven’t tried the 10% compensation won’t be on top off the 15% I already get.

This might be the game changer where I just forget Hornby and hope other manufacturers realise there’s a market and start producing TT120 and I’ll go with them altogether.

This was just being discussed in the price rise thread
Have the prices just jumped up without warning, Again. :: Hornby Hobbies
The sound-fitted model itself has been cancelled. Most likely because it's less popular and they need to prioritise other models. The analogue version is still available and you could order that with 2 decoders.

TT3921TXSM BR, Class 43 HST Train Pack - Era 7 (Sound Fitted) is still showing available for pre-order. I’ve emailed them so will see what the ‘official’ statement is.

Speedy official response to my email, that variant has been pulled from the range.

Just sent another email asking if this is going to be the trend now cancelling late era locomotives. As this is what I’m modelling and are all on pre-order. If they are I will give up on TT120 now.

Also why they can’t honour the price and offer an alternative livery. The BR blue version as it is still showing available but at an increased price.

Also is the 10% on top of the 15% club discount or is a pointless gesture.

Like I’ve said before if someone wants TT120 to fail they are certainly making the right calls.

Hi all,

I've just got off the phone with Hornby.

At this time the BR blue sound set is still in the catalogue and available to order, they were not sure if it was also going to be cancelled.

the 10% code is uselsess to us 15% members, how pointless.

And yeah, I originally had the non sound pack preordered from day 1 at the original lower price which I chose to cancel when the sound set was announced. Now I have to figure out whether to gamble on the BR blue staying in the catalogue and order that instead (but I am a sectorization era guy). I don't want to buy and install separate chips myself. I would destroy the loco on first attempt I am quite sure! haha. I do enough of all that in other larger more robust scales. This TT stuff was supposed to be my relaxing fun. Thank goodness for my Tillig and Piko locos to distract me from all this.

The 10% code isn’t totally useless as it can be applied to the sound decoders that don’t otherwise attract the TT club discount.

It is galling though, because the sound fitted TT locomotives attract the 15% discount on the full cost and save about £15 compared to buying the locomotive and decoders separately (£30 saving with the sound fitted HSTs with two decoders).

It would be good to have an honest and official response, for all these sudden changes, delays and price increases.

To cancel the sound fitted set is it because:

1. There are issues with double headed loco’s and chips (wouldn’t fit with the fact one version is still available) and if it is a problem, I would want to know now as many of my plans involves double headed trains.
  2. They want everyone to pay the price increase (are all pre-orders going to suffer the same)

At least be honest with their consumers.

Isn’t the 10% on top of your club 15%, that’s how I read it

Sadly not. Just tried it. Told me the best discount had already been applied and suggested I save the code for another time.

With both that and the email received saying my “pre-order had been successfully cancelled” I would say that Hornby could have handled this better.

Worth seeing when the discount code expires as I’m assuming the 15% club discount will disappear with renewal.

So looking at the range now all 3 liveries are available non sound fitted and all but the intercity Executive is available with sound fitted. Would like to know the reason behind this now, problems with the website yet again, which seems to be a common trend, or is it because of the price increase?

I wonder if there was a sudden mysterious surge in pre orders for the DCC exec when it slipped through the price rise and possibly they where being sold at a loss. To fix the issue they simply cancelled it.

I hope that’s not the case as it’s very unfair on those who ordered it before the price rise. I rather fear it might be the reason though and no-one wanted to admit the mistake. The apology discount is frankly insulting and they’d have been better not bothering.

I wonder if there was a sudden mysterious surge in pre orders for the DCC exec when it slipped through the price rise and possibly they where being sold at a loss. To fix the issue they simply cancelled it.

Peter, my cynical mind thought that, maybe because I was one of them, but a manufacturer cancelling a product because a dozen or so out of hundreds? It’s a riddle to be sure when other variants remain.