Dublo Deltic

I was determined to stay with steam locos only, but this loco is so nice I couldn’t resist.

I’ve been regularly checking the website to see if it became available again, then it disappeared from the website about a week ago. Once it popped up again it was available, so I pre-ordered one.

2024-25 is a long wait, but several locos on my pre-order list have moved to spring and summer 2024, so it is what it is.

I received the email from Hornby this afternoon to say production had been increased - I cannot remember what the original number was - 500?? I ordered the sound version as soon as it was announced - I remember seeing it regularly in my spotting days running out of Kings X.

The other advantage of ordering either model today, is that by Winter 2024/25, when it is due, you can bet your life it will cost more than it is today.

Well I received the email from Hornby, followed the link and guess what? Yet once again it's unavailable. There must be people with bots buying them up to sell at inflated prices as they did with the Coronation Collector's special.

It's impossible to get the good locos as they are sold out or unavailable before the notification arrives despite having notified them I wanted one.

Yet another huge con. :(

Hi Kim

May I recommend you camp out on the page for that item?

I do not think it a "con", rather, they allocated N locos in that production run, and sold them out, bing, bang, boom. Good on Hornby!

Hornby will likely increase the production numbers if it sells out that quickly, and this time around, be one of the lucky persons to grab one. Because you were watching

Cheers

Bee

Well despite notification setting, email alerts and everything else, it's impossible. Sorry but don't have a bot which will alert me when that page changes.

As a matter of interest, KJ messaged at 1500 that they were available but despite auto checking emails every 10 mins all day, the my so called alert requested from Hornby didn't come through till 1800. So yes, their alert system, notification system is either biased toward the speculators or a con.

Happened on the Jubilee loco, Coronation and others despite anything I could do other than updating Hornby pages 24 hours a day. Fortunately, I do have one of the NRM Deltic models and I suspect that is more accurate than the Hornby one will be.

My email listed "pre-order" from start. Sorry, I have a Bachman "Meld" and also a Hornby "Black Watch" TXS on back-order for only 102 pounds which may not have all the bells and whistles or die cast body but at a third the price, I can justify spending 350 pounds on the Duplo model.

The model isn’t being released until winter 2024/25, it’s an absolute certain that this will become available between now and then. Keep checking the page and you’ll be able to get one.

Every single pre-order model that I ever wanted that was unavailable eventually became available before release. This may actually be the only benefit to Hornby’s ridiculously long pre-order wait times.

It is good to see Hornby following other manufacturers in providing a host of extras in the Deltic such as engine bay and instrument display lighting. The one thing missing which would help by not having to remove the loco body and possibly disturbing electrical contacts and cabin etc is a crew member. Surely the cost of fitting a crew cannot be that expensive. Hornby have fitted crew to the new 9F. I managed to order a sound Deltic when it was first released.

Same. I wanted to stick with steam but I love this model and there is a small crossover with the steam era so it won’t look out of place. As it ran on the ECML and WCML that fits with my LMS/LNER theme. Plus with the 10% discount and hobby points it works out about £250.

Just to add, I didn’t have this on my watchlist, I just received the email and thought why not! I had Coronation on my list but the first I heard it was available again was on here.

Which 10% discount are you referring to? Is there an offer that I’ve missed?

Hi DRC

I think the model was announced back in January 2023 (?) - the Club still had it's 10% discount. It was only in February 2023 when the points came into play and the discount was dropped. I ordered on announcement the sound fitted model - cost £315.00. I may be wrong about points being available, but I did not use any.

BB

The 10% discount will be the club discount, when they changed the offer to extra reward points existing members kept the discount until their renewal date. I still get the discount as my membership renews towards the end of July.

This is yet another of the big development diesels I really like.

The Bachmann model will doubtless be a superb model, but there are visible 'developments' in the new model, plus the fact the HD model will be diecast - heavy chassis AND a metal body - it'll weigh a ton - almost literally!!

My guess will be ~900g, or 250g more than is typical of big diesels currently available - H66 and A/S excluded (my H66 weighs 740g)!

Problem. With Hornby's recent history, £321, or whatever the latest list currently is, will probably not be the price when it's actually available. It'll probably be pushing £400 before 'special offers', Club discounts, whatever.

Really? Strangely it's still high on my list of 'would really like', but ....

Al.

I must admit I am not up on the Hornby development of the Deltics. Looking at the specification it looks like a new design with central motor and both bogies driven. Now I know it is a die cast body but it is still significantly more expensive than what I paid for my Accurascale one.

On the Hornby website the non sound fitted version states is weighs 0.8. Even though the unit of weight isn't specified, that's almost certainly kg. That's a hefty lump.

I've found the info sections on the Hornby website to sometimes have mistakes and inconsistencies, so that may or may not be the actual weight.

OK, so the Hornby Dublo weighs in at 0.8kg - makes sense.

454g / lb would be way too light for pounds! 800g sounds a bit light as well, unless the chassis is light. That's a big body.

Just pulled out my Bachmann 'Tulyar'.

With box and foam packing - 713g.

Locomotive alone - 609g - this is typical for large Bachmann diesels.

I forget the weight of the A/S Deltic - I sold mine, but I believe it was heavier than my Hattons 66, which is 740g.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said it would be at some point, it has come back into stock. There was a user here who went to order one and it was gone.

They don't stay in stock for long, but with the release date being 24/25, I wouldn't even worry. It's going to go unavailable and then available a dozen times between then.

https://uk.hornby.com/products/hornby-dublo-br-english-electric-dp1-co-co-dp1-deltic-era-4-r30297?_br_psugg_q=r30297