Sugar Cube spares

M. Matthews

Not currently listed in Hornby spares as a pre-wired unit.....

The little plug availability has been asked about many times. They are made by JST and the model number of the plug has been stated in previous posts, but nobody has yet identified stocks of it that can be easily purchased, either as components or pre-wired.

The lack of availability of this plug is down to its 0.8mm pitch (distance between pins) and the fact that it is a relatively new release by JST (Japan Solderless Terminals). The same plug with 1.0mm pitch and pre-wired are available, but these 1.0mm plugs are too big to fit in the decoder socket. So be very cautious about ordering plugs off the internet and be certain that they are 0.8mm spacing as they are more likely to be the 1.0mm type.

A few sugar cube speakers are listed by Lendons on Hornby's master spares list. I spotted X1012 "Sugar cube speaker TT1001TXSM" @ £6.74 and X1044 "sugar cube speaker 2021 9F" @ £2.99.

Illustrations on New Modellers Shop website appear to show just the speaker without any wiring but, in the absence of Service Sheets for both the TT pacifics and the 00 9F from Hornby, it is difficult to know what you get for such wildly differing prices.

I would expect those to be replacements for the factory fit speakers which are not wired but direct contact when in place.

If your speakers are dead then Hornby have stated they will replace them by way of quoting your decoder ID and providing your address.

Other options are to desolder the wire and plug from the old speaker driver and attach to your speaker of choice.

Hornby has been requested to provide multi-packs of (x5) speaker drivers to allow use of spare enclosures and also for packs of (x10) wired plugs, but they say generating new SKUs into the product line is difficult. Their words, not mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm in a similar boat.. As I'm building up a small collection of old locos from various online sources I'm converting them to DCC but I can't justify buying a HM7000 sound decoder for each one so I tend to move the decoders around into the locos I'm running. but as each has a different speaker enclosure I want to leave the speakers and stay alives in their respective locos. not a problem with the stay alives as they are readily available from Hornby (well they were, I think I bought the last two) but trying to find the correct speakers with plugs has been impossible.

My only realistic option at the moment is to buy 1mm pitch JST plugs and sockets then make up adapters from the original 0.8mm "hornby" plugs to female 1mm JST then I can use any 8 ohm speaker that has a 1mm JST plug, the adapter remains with the decoder on it's travels from loco to loco...

If you want to order up 100 or a 1000 prewired plugs with the correct size plug, I have details for a supplier, but they are expensive for such low production runs (approx £2 each plus taxes and delivery), hence why I declined their quote.