Any sign of the Summer edition of the magazine?

Dave the Busker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're probably waiting for next summer, when, perhaps, they might have something to write about?

My current (free) membership runs out in October so I'm wondering whether or not to renew. The mag itself doesn't really come into this equation but it would be nice to get what was originally promised.

The last one appeared at around 15th May so it's now over 3 months and the last edition was also very late.

I wonder how Hornby define the end of summer. Meteorological, Astronomical or maybe they go for the more exotic Indian variety in which case they have months left joy

My free membership expires at the end of January by which point anything I want will be either in my possession or on pre-order and with no sign of Phase 3 there will be little to persuade me to renew.

I've read elsewhere that Phase 3 is in design development and I would expect news of progress fairly soon - photos of prototype models etc. Certainly, they will need to ensure that they maintain reasons to stay in the club and their annual report indicates that growing direct sales via the website is a priority.

My current (free) membership runs out in October so I'm wondering whether or not to renew. The mag itself doesn't really come into this equation but it would be nice to get what was originally promised.

Yes same here, and also not sure whether to renew. I'll admit my reason for joining was really just to get the discount on initial purchases.

The magazine issues I have are ok but after a couple of reads I'm unlikely to consult them again, just as I gave up with subscriptions to other railway modelling magazines years ago.

The Hornby Visitor Centre is closed for refurbishment still, isn't it? I'd have taken advantage of free entry to that as it's fairly local and a mate was saying the other day he fancies a visit.

I presume that club membership wouldn't include any discount for the One To One collection next door if that were actually open (everything seems to have gone very quiet about that collection?)

Am hoping for news of Phase 3 in the next edition as it will be the last before the anniversary of the launch.

As I’ve said before, my view is that the TT club membership only becomes worthwhile if you’re planning to spend £300 or more at Hornby in a year. Discounts at retailers are about 10% on TT120 RRP, so are similar to the equivalent price with Hornby rewards (albeit Rewards have a lag of at least 3 weeks). The £30 membership thus gets paid off after spending £300 and getting the extra 10% in reward points (assuming the Club keeps that benefit). I’ll probably renew as I can imagine spending that and I can see Hornby reducing the TT Club benefit further to be in line with the Collector Club.

I could also see Hornby having Club specials where members get enhanced reward points or they enhance the value of points, like they did over the Easter weekend. Hornby state in their annual report that they want to see more use of points by customers, so they’ll want to stop people hoarding them, which is a side effect of their last offer. I know I’m waiting for my points total to build up in expectation of another such offer and I imagine others are too.

• 2 weeks later...

We are now into metrological Autumn and still no sign of the Summer edition, either in print or as a PDF in the TT:120 Club members section.

It is, by my calculation, nearly a month overdue, bad enough that the continuation of the layout build was held-over (for a less than impressive layout design) but anyone following this (and perhaps trying to replicate it would be being delayed) will be disappointed.

Also, presumable since it was not indicated it would be announced elsewhere, the announcement of the winner of the latest competition is also delayed.

Can we expect the Autumn edition on-time, three months later than whenever the Summer edition is finally published, or four months after that?

I don't remember any specific day or date mentioned for the magazine to be issued, just be patient.

As for the seasons Autumn has NOT started yet as per the internet:-

What dates are the seasons UK?

Spring is deemed to start at the Vernal Equinox (near 20 March) Summer at the Summer Solstice (near 21 June) Autumn at the Autumn Equinox (near 23 September) Winter at the Winter Solstice (near 22 December).

4 months since the spring edition which was issued back in May, its now September.

Not sure if I will renew my club membership when its due in October, as apart for the 08 shunter that I had earlier this year, I have not had any real benefit from it.

Also when joining I thought that we would be getting regular email updates, but not had one email relating to TT:120, and exclusive member offers?

I recall reading on these pages that there had been an initial take up of membership of about 14000. Given that the initial offer was free with an appealing discount/rewards scheme I wonder what the percentage of those 14k have actually purchased and commenced building. There’ll be (a) post grad boffin(s) crunching the algorithms and presenting it to a room of folks with degrees in decision making that will form the next membership offer. Or, they’ll just copy and paste from the 00 version.

as an edit: I’ll definitely be renewing membership

I think we have to accept that the recent senior level changes at Hornby will have affected preparation of the magazine. Simon K was heavily involved (his name is cited in the credits) and both the new team and summer holidays may have slowed down publication. I do seem to recall that the TT magazine has arrived at least a month after the OO magazine in the past. The recent short TT Talk video and the excellent Train Terminal blogs do show their continued commitment and so I don't see the absence of the magazine as anything to worry about.

I also don't think we can complain in any case as all the benefits of the TT club come free for anyone who joined before the end of January.

I'll be very likely renewing in November, as there are Phase 3 and 4 models I am interested in and 20% in reward points seems like a decent offer - that's better than the launch offer which was 15% discount initially. It was only later that Rewards were launched for everyone.

Very doubtful any of those will be available within the next 12 months.

Maybe not, but pre-orders likely will and I expect the TT Club benefits to change further next year. Most of the current range is expected to be available by this time next year and I'd be surprised if something new doesn't arrive before the end of 2024.

I emailed Hornby customer services this morning Re TT:120 club magazine and this is the replay that I have had.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

There has been a delay with the Summer TT:120 magazine but we have been advised by our Marketing Team that this will be available within the next few weeks. The digital version will follow after that.  

We thank you for your patience.

Kind regards.

Customer Services

As far as I'm concerned this is now pretty-much a month late! Fine so long as the Autumn is not also delayed. Do not seem to be keeping the promise to provide quarterly TT:120 Club magazines.

As the latest competition results was due to be announced in that, has the result be given elsewhere (can't see anything in the general competitions section). Something definitely does not seem right here.