Resetting a Decoder without knowing its address

Pendragon Sailing

Is there any way to reset a decoder to its factory default settings (using CV8) without knowing the existing address of the of the decoder?

I have been given a 2nd hand decoder and have mounted it on my decoder Test Board. It seems to be working/active (leds are showing), but without knowing the address its set to, I cannot activate or read any of its CVs.

Any help welcome

I thought you just programmed the decoder in the usual way, with whatever address you wanted to give it. When you buy a brand new decoder it is set at the default code of 03, you then place the loco on your programming track and address it with whatever you want - same with a secondhand decoder.

Does your control unit not display the address when you turn it on?

When I turn my Hornby Elite on it displays 03 - whatever decoder fitted loco is on the track. I then call up the address for a particular loco. If I want to readdress the loco, I just put it on the programming track and re-address it - I do not have to have any details of what the decoder is programmed to when placing it on the progtrack. I then give it a new address - using the Elite.

Is there any way to reset a decoder to its factory default settings (using CV8) without knowing the existing address of the of the decoder?

You don't need to know the existing address to reset a decoder using CV8 when using the 'Programming Track' (Direct Mode programming which is the default mode with Hornby branded controllers).

In fact, with 'Direct Mode programming' you can change any CV without knowing the existing address, this includes the CVs holding address data.

You only need to know the existing address when using 'Operate Mode programming' which is also sometimes referred to on other brands of controller as POM (Programming On Main). This means programming the decoder whilst it is still sitting on the main layout track along with other locos. In that scenario you need to know the address so that you don't affect the other locos, by using 'Operate Mode or POM'.

So as long as your branded controller says place your loco on a programming track piece then an existing address shouldn't be required as it should be using 'Direct Mode' or your controllers equivalent.

Thanks Chaps.

I have tried to reset the decoder (which I believe it to be a Dapol Imperium) on the Test Board in both Programming Track Mode and POM Mode, and neither seems to have any effect. The decoder remains completely indifferent to any commands from the controller. I’m having to conclude, therefore, that its a dead one. One for the bin, then.

Thanks for you suggestions.

I have had issues with some decoders where you cannot change the CV values. The ones I have had issues with are Gaugemaster and DCC Concepts. Sometimes it is because they have "stay alive" but other times I could not work out why. In the end I just used them for testing locos, after I had rewired them. Surprisingly LaisDCC give me the least issues, they suffer from DC "run away" but compared to a lot of others I have used they aren't that bad. I found Imperiums work best in Dapol locos, they seem to be a bit jerky at low speeds on steam locos. Hornby and Zimo seem to give me the least issues.

Hi

Dapol Imperium decoder are reset to manufacturer defaults including address to 03 by entering CV8 and a value of 4. See Dapol Imperium manual, a copy can be found here ...

https://wicknessmodels.co.uk/slarti/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Imperium_instructions.pdf

The decoder may also be locked, if so, carry out the unlocking settings..... CV15 = 0 CV16 =1.

Edit to correct typo.

Hi
Dapol Imperium decoder are reset to manufacturer defaults including address to 03 by entering CV8 and a value of 4. See Dapol Imperium manual, a copy can be found here ...
https://wicknessmodels.co.uk/slarti/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Imperium_instructions.pdf

The decoder may also be locked, if so, carry out the unlocking settings..... CV15 = 0 CV16 =1.

Edit to correct typo.

Thanks @Flashbang. I tried all of those measures, but to no avail.

The decoder is now in the bin 🫤