Programming Track Booster

Pendragon Sailing

Following on from my recent post about decoder programming issues, I’ve been doing some further research.

I’ve seen that Soundtrax produce a Programming Track Booster (PTB100).

Has anyone had any experience of using this (or similar) bit of kit, and are they worth the effort/cost?

It’s noteworthy that only Soundtrax seem to make one of these (?), so perhaps they’re not as helpful as one might think.

Thoughts and observations welcome.

The late Chrissaf used a programming booster, so his musings will be on the forum somewhere. Finding them may be a challenge, try googling the subject and see if any of the hits push you back to the forum. Google being a better search engine than the in-house one.

Their use stems from some sound decoders needing a tad more oomph to program them than the NMRA regs permit.

I have absolutely no problems with most of my locos, because they’re fitted with HMDCC decoders and both reading and writing CVs (as we know) is all very straightforward.

I’d have to say however, that my experience of using a programming track is mixed. I have a small number of locos using non-sound decoders of various makes and have had a number of issues particularly when READING CVs. Writing CVs seems to be ok (albeit using the POM mode), but reading CVs on the programming track often doesn’t work at all.

For running my non-HMDCC locos I use a Digitrax DCS210+ Command Station, which had very good reviews before I bought it and works very well on the whole, but Reading CVs of the following make decoders, simply doesn’t work:

• LaisDCC
  • Dapol Imperium (possibly Lais too?)
  • ESU Loksound v3.5 (factory fitted in a Hornby Class 08).

It seems that these cheaper (?) or older decoders can be very temperamental. 😳

On the other hand, I have no problems Reading Cvs for decoders made by DCC Concepts/Rails, nor Guagemaster.