Most appropriate sound profiles

M. Matthews

Sorry if this has been discussed already. Inspired by the recent post about the most appropriate sound file for the class 58, I’m wondering what the most appropriate profiles are for some other classes.

I’m currently using the 66 profile in my class 67’s.

I read somewhere that I could get away with using the 37 profile in a 205 Thumper?

Between the diesel profiles available, there must be a few that are remotely similar to other classes?

Diesels are not my thing but as a start I would suggest that you look up each of the classes for which sound profiles are available on Wikipedia and make a note of the motor type and configuration.

Then do the same for your class 58 and see if there is a close match.

I do the same for steam by matching the number of cylinders and the original operating company and then (hopefully) the whistle.

I too don’t know much about these later diesels, so all I can suggest is that you do some Google research and check what engines/motors the different loco classes have and try to find one that’s close.

According to a book I have, the Class 58 has a Ruston-Paxman 2RK3ACT engine - the Class 56 has a Ruston-Paxman 6RK3CT, so perhaps the 56 is the one you should go for.

Being in third rail territory, we don't get to hear class 37s very often but I can remember the small 4-cylinder 'Thumper' 3-car class 205 engine sound (as used also in pairs in the class 201/2/3 6-car Hastings units) and I have my doubts that it would be anywhere near close to that of the much larger 12-cylinder engine in a 37 even though they both came from English Electric. The Thumpers have a very distinctive engine sound but the 6-cylinder English Electric unit in class 08 shunters might be a closer match.

I agree with GS - I don't think there is anything currently available on HM7000 that is anywhere close to sounding like a Class 205. I bought a Class 205 from Kernows some years ago with sound fitted, and it is very realistic - I used to see them every day running into Basingstoke from Reading.

It is a shame Hornby don't do it as a model as the Ongar Railway has one, so very easy to get recordings. I must admit I haven't seen them run it lately but that maybe because they normally run steam or a diesel railcar. On that railway there is an underpass under the M25 the echo as it goes underneath is wonderful. As you have said it is definitely a different sort of sound. I think if I remember rightly there used to be a YouTube video from the front of the cab. It is so iconic I bought the model from Monk Bar in York when I was on holiday, they were doing it cheap. My sound system came from Howes.