Problem connecting TT120 Scotsman to app.

Don-372296

You need to tell us what device you gave the app installed on and how you have your track powered before we can offer any solid advice, although there are a complete set of how-to guides to lead you down the setup path if the app is not intuitive enough.

https://uk.hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides

It is assumed your Scotsman is the digital version with a decoder factory fitted. If not tell us which decoder you have installed.

I have the same problem with my Flying Scotsman - bought with the decoder already fitted. I'm running the HM DCC app on a Samsung S21+ and I have the Hornby P9100 1 amp transformer.

My A4 William Whitelaw (part of the Easterner set - with decoder already fitted) works fine on the same track.

The Flying Scotsman worked fine to start with and then stopped. I've sent it back once and a new decoder has been fitted (according the paperwork in the box), but I still can't link to it.

Any advice welcome

Hi John, welcome 😀

Have you tried working through the trouble shooting list within the User Manual? it’s linked in the sticky section at top of this page.

Something that I don’t think is mentioned, but a good idea;

When doing a decoder reset by unlinking and deleting, make sure you also delete the loco from the engine shed (on the app) and shut the app and the device (phone/tablet) down and restart. Also consider deleting the app from your device, shut down and then reload the app and ‘start again’

Have any linked locos on the same track and make sure the track and loco wheels are clean so a good electrical connection is made. New track can often have release agents contaminating the rail surface.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing problems with my Scotsman sound fitted set. When it arrived, I did not have a suitable table for the full oval, so tested the loco only on the straight sections of the track.

It was easy to set-up on a Lenovo Tab M10 and I was able to move forwards and backwards with the sound effects.

The day before yesterday, after much home decorating, I was able to layout the full track oval. I had to do an app update, then I started to move back and forth OK. I then started to run round the oval. As it passed the power feed hump it wobbled and stopped.

In ‘Manage Device’, ‘Motor Overcurrent’ is yellow with ‘!’. Reinstalling a profile is requested. But rather vague as what profile! It had de-railed so I guess caused a short circuit.

I am unable clear the fault.

The same day my second loco (only) arrived the Blue Falcon. I can’t get it to work - no sound and no movement. I chose ‘4’ as the Loco Address. Why does it not default to a different number – that’s common sense. I’ve spent some time reading the guide PDFs and think I’ve found some details that I will check out. But why no short simple instructions?

Next job is to reset the app and start from new.

Why does it not default to a different number – that’s common sense... 

@Landyman130

Not trying to answer your main issue, but just trying to offer some clarity in your understanding of some of the supplementary points you raise.

All DCC Decoders are made with a default DCC Address of 3. This is a DCC Address (Digital Command Control). The HM7000 Bluetooth APP does not use DCC Addresses for controlling decoders. Therefore your comment about DCC Address 4 is completely irrelevant.

The TXS Bluetooth Decoders support DCC protocols (and therefore DCC Addresses) to allow them to be used on traditional DCC layouts using traditional DCC Controllers.

Each TXS Decoder has a unique 'MAC Address' (Media Access Control) that is hard coded into the decoder at the factory and is not user configurable. It is this unique factory created MAC Address that the HM7000 Bluetooth APP uses to control the decoder.

Therefore, if you do not have or use a DCC Controller you do not need to set a DCC Address (different from the default 3) to use the APP for control.

But why no short simple instructions?

Because the product is very sophisticated and based upon the posts raised in this forum I suggest that 'short simple instructions' would result in a thousand fold increase in forum reported "I can't get it to work" issues. This was proved to be the case when the product was just launched and the detailed 'trouble shooting documentation' had not at that time been published. The HM7000 related posts on this forum went into overdrive.

On a slightly more basic note, it’s preferable to make sure track is level so a loco doesn’t lift or wobble. All DCC systems including HM DCC are sensitive to power fluctuations and short circuits. Good track is the key to any reliable running; level, clean, correctly aligned joints and good solid electrical connections. Get this right and almost all the basic issues people encounter, disappear.

To reload a sound/running profile check in the manual (listed in the pinned section above) Hope you are up and running soon 😁

Firstly, I would like to thank all who have posted suggestions.

@P-Henny

As the BT app does not use DCC Addresses, why is it available to change? I’m aware of MAC addresses being fixed.

@Steve

I did a power cycle of both tablet ad locos many times but this did not resolve the problem

@Rallymatt

I took half an hour to lay the track, ensuring that all joints were smooth and then pushed my three light installed coaches manually round the oval to ensure that the lights did not flicker.

@ 96RAF

Precisely any profile!

When installing most apps, one has to install/load many extra ‘bits’ that are virtually impossible to remember !!!

______

Since my last posting I have uninstalled the MH7000 app and started again. But I keep getting requests to reset devices and restart scans, but this achieves nothing apart from another request. I can’t link devices (locos), nor unlink them. I entered a “unique reset code”, found on a screen dump previously taken, but that did not work.

Finally, on the settings screen where it displays Connecting Network, what is the network as all I now see is “finding Host Device”.

As the BT app does not use DCC Addresses, why is it available to change? I’m aware of MAC addresses being fixed.

The reason you can set the DCC address is because the decoder can be used (in DCC mode) with a DCC controller. However only a DCC controller will communicate with the decoder via the DCC address - the app only communicates via the Bluetooth MAC address.

The reason you can set the DCC address within the app is simply for user convenience.

I am going to repeat my earlier advice. The app requesting a reset code is a known glitch which is usually cured by power cycling everything. In this particular instance your reloaded app thinks your decoder is linked to the original app that you loaded.

If the power cycle doesn't work you can force a reset by unlinking/resetting the decoder three times in succession. I can't remember the exact wording on the screen as I've only had to do that once.

Once unlinked repeat the scan, if it shows as a resettable device just do the power cycle and repeat the scan. That should do it.

In ‘Manage Device’, ‘Motor Overcurrent’ is yellow with ‘!’. Reinstalling a profile is requested. 

I sent an e-mail to Hornby and followed this the next day with a phone call. I received much friendly assistance on the phone. Unfortunatly the Scotsman train set loco with sound, is being sent to Hornby.

My second loco (only) a Blue Falcon with sound.  Same problem, so they also want it back.

So guess my work! Why the same problem with two locos. The app has been uninstalled and reinstalled many times and the reset code has been used, but still faulty.

Suggests to me that there is a fault condition that renders the decoder unresponsive, requiring a factory jig/tool to reset.

When 2 disparate locos have exactly the same fault one would look elsewhere for the source of the fault. Invariably and based on wide experience of this system over this years team testing and user reports the app is the problem not the loco. Very few decoders have actually failed, and those that have were usually killed by the operator.

Let us go back to square 1:

What device is the app installed on and what is its revision state.

Have you installed the app on any other device and previously tried to link to the decoders from there.

How exactly is your track powered.

Were both locos factory installed or did you install the decoders. As they are TT120 it is assumed they are both Next18TXS and that they are firmly clipped into the socket.

When 2 disparate locos have exactly the same fault one would look elsewhere for the source of the fault.
What device is the app installed on and what is its revision state.
Have you installed the app on any other device and previously tried to link to the decoders from there.
How exactly is your track powered.
Were both locos factory installed or did you install the decoders. As they are TT120 it is assumed they are both Next18TXS and that they are firmly clipped into the socket.

As a retired electronics engineer with many years’ experience of fault finding, when circuit diagrams and oscilloscopes were used to follow logic levels; I also would look elsewhere. But Hornby want both locos back – so I can’t argue with their better knowledge of their own products.

I uninstalled the MH7000 app, followed by a reboot and new installation. Then on the phone, I followed the instructions one by one as given on the phone.

I bought a Lenovo Tab M10 specially for this task and it’s the first device used to install a loco. It has all the updates from Lenovo, with no apps added by me.

The Scotsman train set oval is powered by the supplied plug top PSU. Both locos were delivered from Hornby with the decoders fitted. As both are under warrant, I’ve not opened them up to check that the chips are in their sockets. I’ve found many faults due to chips working their way out of a socket overtime.

Thanks for your suggestions.

@P-Henny
As the BT app does not use DCC Addresses, why is it available to change?

Because some users want to use both DCC Control and APP control concurrently. The APP gives the option to change the DCC Address AND GIVES an easy APP button to press to transfer control from Bluetooth to DCC and back again, providing a high level of control option flexibility for the user.

DCC Locos that do not have an HM7000 decoder can be controlled by the DCC Controller and the HM7000 fitted locos can be controlled by either the APP or the DCC Controller.

DCC tools included in the APP also provide a very convenient way of setting DCC configurations (such as DCC Address, as well as CVs) WITHOUT needing to put the loco on a programming track OR have any real understanding of CVs because the APP is menu driven.

The one word answer to your question is 'Convenience'.

EDIT: I wrote this reply before I saw the reply on the previous page by LT&SR_NSE.

OK, the PSU track supply is good, the decoders seem to have been purged from the app on the redundant device and a clean install on the new tablet should be good. Given Hornby has requested both locos to be returned we can only await the results of that process.

• 2 weeks later...

Well both locos arrived back from Hornby yesterday.

With a new installation of the app, I was able to get The Scotsman loco running. First forwards a few inches and then backwards a few inches - as when done originally when new.

Then a slow run round the oval, watching carefully as it passed the track power conection, where it had wobbled and then failed. This time all OK. I ran the loco for about half an hour.

Today, I got Falcon running using the same procedure as the first loco. Also OK for about half an hour. I had them about 180 deg. appart, following each other round the oval in both directions and sound OK.

Hornby fitted a new motor to The Scotsman and a new decoder to Falcon, but gave no indication of the causes for failure. Tomorrow, I'll get he coaches behind both locos - I've bought 4 BR coaches for the second loco.

A frustrating start to TT:120, but very impressive. What a difference 40 years from when I last used OO.