Fitting Stay alive capacitor

HST43

I’ve recently bought my first HM7000 decoder, and was wondering if you can fit non Hornby stay alive capacitors, I’ve done this on Hornby TTS decoders before with no problems, or do these new power banks that they call them have other components fitted to them ?

Simple answer - no. The PB shares some components on the decoder itself for the charging circuitry. Any attempt at an aftermarket stayalive would invalidate your warranty.

Additionally, TXS is very different from TTS. I have successfully fitted the TXS power bank to a TTS but I wouldn’t try the other way.

I have 4 Power Banks and they are incredible. I would not consider anything else to go with the HM7000 Decoder.

My Class 08 ran for well over 20 seconds on an unpowered section of my track while I was upgrading my layout.

The Peckett requires a 4 pin decoder which does not exist in the HM7K world therefore you cannot ‘plug in’ a power bank. Additionally there is simply no space to house it within the loco.

However, you may be able to find a non Hornby decoder that can have a stay alive added but I suspect you would need to fit that in a permanently coupled wagon behind the loco.

I have a tiny Zimo decoder in a TT:120 Piko V90 that incorporates a stay alive on the decoder, it’s incredibly small but surprisingly effective. The particular decoder for that loco uses a Plux16 socket, but I think there are other socket options. Obviously it’s non sound and non Bluetooth.

I think SteveM6 you are wrong, the Peckett uses a 6 pin decoder, I have been buying the socket that is fitted to a Peckett for conversion to DCC of all my small 0-6-0 locos for the last six months (part no x7394). I use Zimo 6 pin decoders and LaisDCC "stay alive", I found the LaisDCC is both small and a really good stay alive. With the Zimo you get between 5 to 10 seconds of power. I found with another decoder the time was severely decreased.

As I said in my original response Fishmanoz I have been buying Peckett decoder sockets for the last 6 months. I forgot they made an 0-4-0 one, so I don't need you to remind me. As I said the best thing to do is bin the 4 pin setup, it takes up more room than the equivalent 6 pin and it is easier to get decoders for. I know all about those 4 pin decoders I bought several locos with them in, I converted them to 6 pin. As for your rather childish statement I am sure if you type in p-e-ck-e-t-t I imagine you would get both types. I must admit if I posted that post I would probably get banned, so please tone it down. To be honest I thought he was referring to the 0-6-0 variant, so what I was wrong, but I also told him how he could fix it which I thought was what this forum is all about. Personally it makes no difference to me, if you don't want my help so be it.

Colin, my apologies if you found my post offensive, it was not my intention to be so. We appear to be into the Christmas season already so not a good idea.

My intention, however clumsily, was to suggest you do the same research others have done before contributing to this topic. The reason - it gives you 10 links to various Peckett items. Eight are current and all 0-4-0. One is 10 years old and also 0-4-0. The last, second from the bottom, is 4 years old and this one refers to an 0-6-0 variant. You might remember it as you’ve contributed.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Ian-1301567 said:

Hi Will them Dapol Micro Decoders be ideal for such small locos.

I was recently trying to add "Stay Alive" to my 6 wheel Peckett it did work but because of the space limitations eventually blew up the decoder, probably because I couldn't insulate it enough. Anyway one thing that did come out of it was I redesigned how the decoder fitted, remembering I bought mine with DCC fitted. If you soldering skills are up to it, replace 4 way connector with the Pecket 6 pin one which is thinner and slightly shorter. Make sure you insulate it. Now buy a Zimo MX616 or MX617 direct fit 6 pin decoder, which is really small and I suspect it will fit in the same space. Again insulate it, Pecketts having a lot of metal are a real insulation issue. Unfortunately I don't have the 0-4-0 version but looking at your photo I think it should fit. I think I had issues with Dapol 6 pin decoders driving these sort of motors I don't know why, I just assumed that were designed for N gauge motors, they just didn't work that well.

Edited by ColinB

Well I was talking to a Model Railway Guru the other day and I was telling him about the issues I had with my 88DS Loco (Hornsby & Rushton type) and he told me you will have problems fitting the Hornby type decoders cause they have wiring associated with them you would be better of using a Dapol Micro Decoder which fits easier in the small space you will have with the 88DS Loco.

Depends if you want sound or not. The cheapest option for sound is the HM7k route, but yes the wiring can be a problem with small locos. Another option if you want sound is to go with the likes of Zimo who do a nice direct fit decoder, but the cost rockets up from around £65 to around £120.

HM7000 is a non starter it is far too big. To get the smallest profile you need to use either a 6 pin decoder or a next 18 which means rewiring the connector. HM7000 doesn't come in 6 pin and the next 18 is too big, so if you want sound I would suggest Zimo because that is the smallest one I have found in the 6 pin configuration. Wiring with 8 pins is a big issue, the 6 pin Zimo with wiring is not so bad, but the direct fit is so much better. Train O Matic ones are pretty small as well and they work well.