Fitting Stay alive capacitor

HST43

I fitted a Zimo MS500 direct to a Bachmann 64XX Pannier. There was no way an HM7k 8 pin would fit. The sound is great, but as I said in the post above, they work out at twice the price.

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

HM7000 is a non starter it is far too big. To get the smallest profile you need to use either a 6 pin decoder or a next 18 which means rewiring the connector. HM7000 doesn't come in 6 pin and the next 18 is too big, so if you want sound I would suggest Zimo because that is the smallest one I have found in the 6 pin configuration. Wiring with 8 pins is a big issue, the 6 pin Zimo with wiring is not so bad, but the direct fit is so much better. Train O Matic ones are pretty small as well and they work well.

An 8 pin plug that clicks into a N18 socket to convert the decoder into a direct plug 8-pin would be handy and get rid of that harness.

13 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

An 8 pin plug that clicks into a N18 socket to convert the decoder into a direct plug 8-pin would be handy and get rid of that harness.

Yes, except you're then starting to stack plugs on plugs and may exceed the available space/height above the Next18 socket. At least with a harness you can tuck the other end somewhere else where there's more space. 

1 hour ago, ntpntpntp said:

Yes, except you're then starting to stack plugs on plugs and may exceed the available space/height above the Next18 socket. At least with a harness you can tuck the other end somewhere else where there's more space. 

I was just about to say the same. On my six wheel Peckett I spend ages finding the best setup. It came fitted with DCC but it was difficult to put the body back on, my new system not only fits better but the body fits much better. Probably the best arrangement is to buy a Next 18 socket and wire it up but having never done it on one of these I don't know if there is enough room.