Dementia Den Model Railway update

Mikey1707822023

Hi all, some months ago, I posted here about a dementia activity group that wanted to build their own model railway. Well most of it is complete now with just a few jobs to do. The group received several donations to support the project and several promises in writing of support that never materialised (all well-known companies). I have put up a video of the progress. This layout is all designed by the group and other than some help with electrical work, it is all their work that has gone into it. The layout can be DC or DCC or one track of each. The two tracks are independent of each other and one has more straight forward operation for those with more advanced dementia. Word has got out an other groups have asked to come and operate the layout with a view to potentially developing their own. It seems to be the first of it's kind in providing various therapeutic activities in dementia care. Current and former carers of people living with dementia support the project. Sadly, one member passed away before the layout was completed. Her memory lives on in the layout.

1 in 3 of us will die with dementia.

forum_image_65860945964cf.thumb.png.907e070c4bcc789377a6427b0072981d.png

This is a video of the layout.

What a superb project and some great results. I have been convinced for a long time about the huge mental health benefits of hobbies like railway modelling. It’s so diverse there really is something for everyone. Thanks for sharing and hope it inspires more groups to start up. It’s important to never stop playing, it quite literally keeps you young 😁