Bluetooth Woes

Are you looking in the right place for versions.

The profiles screen shows the latest available version for that SD number. Tbe actual version of BT and firmware installed is shown on tbe decoder screen in Manage Devices.

Why would it offer v0.7.0 when it is already installed? It is giving the option to downgrade should you wish to do that. I don't see anything wrong. Just select Cancel.

Or am I missing something (again)?

Edited by dBerriff

This screenshot is after it's already setup and working,. Upon initial link it forces a downgrade with no way to cancel and since the initial downgrade fails and there is no way to exit the screen you have to kill the app, rescan, reset (since now it'll show up as resettable) and re-try the linking again. It's too much of a process for me to try to get an screen shot, but I have one more coming next week, when I get it I'll try to take some screenshots at that point. 

Switched on this morning and the app shows eleven updates available. It has singled out the decoders not yet on v7.0 as you would expect.

On the manage devices page you will see this - look for the small clock face logo for those that require updating.

Press the update button and confirm which version is required (v7.0). Each one takes just a couple of minutes.

IMG_2024-09-02-09-58-58-249~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I love this feature of the system; that we can have instant access to updates from home. 👍

There is the added bonus of it it goes pear shaped you can roll back to a known good option. We are told this should have happened with the 0.7.0 to 0.6.1 offer but seems not in some cases.

• Like 1

So I’m updating the fleet, so far one of the shunters and Flying Scotsman fail the update. Will capture error message. The rest are ok or still to do. 

Update. Has to Una sign and unlink and delete Mallard. Then linked and it said needs updates. BT worked, then said sound profile was corrupt. Now doing 26 minutes update. Over hard wired connection. 

Edited by Dodge1965

So 14 loco's all now done, 10 no issues at all. A class 50 and Mallard and Shunter and Flying Scotsman had to be reset and removed and BT updated and then after corupt sound profiles, i relaoded each profile. All then looked good, but FS then said BT needed another update and after that, the profile yet again. The Swift Dummy car also after upgrade, said it neede an upgrade. So did it again and all good.

Weird thing was, when starting HMDCC and going to manage devices, all were red for BT symbol, but after the upgrade and reboot, became blue.

• Like 1

So is it considered “just part of the standard process” to have to start from scratch every few months? Recently the Bluetooth Firmware update broke some HM7000 set ups and the advice from Hornby was to do just that (unlinked, delete, relink, reload). Could the same be true for a device OS update? This stuff seems to be a moving target. We had some stability after the v2 profile updates but things seem to be less stable now. 
Any thoughts on Bluetooth versions? Should we be using devices that are at least version 5 or is 4 ok?

I know some beta testers are going to disagree but I am not an IT novice and I have nothing like these levels of problems with my other device connected applications. I do read manuals and have often directed social media posters to these manuals for advice.

Even the experts sometimes admit there is an issue. For example the lack of ability to switch to DCC control due to a CV rewrite done in error. 

Personally I have more respect for people who admit things are not “perfect” otherwise you start to sound like those infallible politicians and I know you don’t want to be put in that group 

• Like 1

Personally I would never suggest either technology or humans are perfect or infallible, since I know & expect the exact opposite is truth/fact!

Equally I have no respect for anyone who claims to be infallible or who expects infallibility.

I am pleasantly surprised whenever technology & humans actually work/get things right & am not at all surprised when they don’t.

These attitudes are extremely useful when problem solving issues/failures - but unfortunately make it more challenging to empathise with frustrated people! 🤦‍♂️

(That doesn’t mean I don’t try to be sympathetic - merely that I will always be more accepting/understanding towards problems than most!)

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 2

Fundamentally Bluetooth is a dodgy technology that will never be 100% reliable. You get syncing and pairing issues still with all manner of Bluetooth devices (keyboards, mice, headphones, etc) so it’s foolish to expect HM7000 to be any different at the end of the day - although to be fair it has gotten better over time. Still can’t compete with actual wires.

Edited by moawkwrd

Yes, those electromagnetic wave thingammies are never to be trusted.  If you can’t see it, don’t believe it!

Oops, just remembered, the fact I can see is down to particular frequencies of those thingammies, or maybe photons, whatever they are.  Might have to rethink this, not today though.

• Like 1