Hornby platform geometry

Platform track geometry question: If I was to but Hornby straight platforms (E,g, R460) what would be the track spacing I would need to make these work without fouling the trains?

I've attached the sort of thing I am think of. This is obviously not a full layout!

Thanksforum_image_659a8be6f098f.thumb.png.2a4eca2009b1dd462439cc02d62ab95c.png

That looks just right to me. Normal Hornby loop to loop geometry is 67mm centre to centre. https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/10406061442332

For exact track spacing Scarm has a measuring tool so you can go centre to centre or inner rails to inner rails, etc to compare with the platform width which should be on the product page, although the Scarm ones are accurate to planform.

That looks just right to me. Normal Hornby loop to loop geometry is 67mm centre to centre. https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/10406061442332
For exact track spacing Scarm has a measuring tool so you can go centre to centre or inner rails to inner rails, etc to compare with the platform width which should be on the product page, although the Scarm ones are accurate to planform.

SCARM shows about 132 mm between tracks where I have placed the platform which should be enough but is it too much?

Ta

As with all model railway stuff, there are compromises. The Hornby sectional track and platforms are designed to work together and take account of the overhang and corner cutting of the longest items they make, sometimes it can appear the platforms are too far back from the track but that’s the compromise. The alternative is to make your own platforms to accommodate the specific stock you run but it still might not be that different.

Centre throw of long wheelbase stock will be your main problem entering the lay-by bit. Main line can be set realistically closer. You may have to lay it out on a board to check clearance then work that into your plan using flexi if necessary to join to the set-track curves spacing.

You have it completely correct in your diagram. The straight pieces match the track lengths, the R606 is the correct straightening piece to get back to parallel running, and the ramps follow the curves as you can see. Depending on your rolling stock, you may be able to get away with longer or wider, but you would need a kit or scratch build something.