Getting into the hobby first layout

Grenkin

On 03/07/2024 at 10:35, ntpntpntp said:

Remember when you lay your track it is advisable to ensure the rail ends are properly secured either side of the baseboard joint, again so that the alignment is 100% accurate every time you assemble.    There are various ways of doing this, using commercial products (not sure if any for TT:120 yet), or soldering the rails to copper-clad strip or brass screws

There are these which look absolutely ideal.

But they say compatible with code 55 and the different track codes got me confused.

Link to another thread discussing code. 

Guess sandpaper to adjust in one direction and paper/card packers in another 🤷🏼‍♂️

Posted (edited)

@StuLarge  A couple of things I don't like about those ModelTech rail aligners:
1) they're only really suitable for 90 degree right angle crossing of the joint.  Many of my tracks cross at an angle (which soldering to brass screws copes with)

IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.f6aca164626ed5dfd6c79ae7ac9407de.JPG

2) Peco code 55 rail has a special "double T" rail section, the lower part of which should be hidden below the sleeper tops.  Using those ModelTech aligners means the sleepers end up too low compared to the foot of the rail unless you first grind away the lower part of the rail section.  I bought some similar N gauge aligners from a Swedish firm but decided not to use them and stick with the brass screws.  Here's an example test of removing the lower part of the code 55 rail.
coppercladsleepers.jpeg.9eb7e59d6b2550c31a9ef4d525714cd1.jpeg

Using brass screws and soldering to the hidden lower section of the code 55 rail means that the screws are hidden below the ballast. 
IMG_1401(2).JPG.173252582c71b150fb42b37e727fa51d.JPG

3) forgot to add:  you shouldn't rely on track "aligners" for accurate alignment.  Use alignment dowels fitted to the baseboard ends to ensure the boards come together accurately every time. As I mentioned in a previous reply here.  Secure the rail ends either side of the join so they don't move, but don't put any strain on the trackwork - which an aligner such as the Modeltech might do.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

After gluing schema to the board, now I am scratching my head 🤔🫥

I am peaty sure it is bad idea to glue cork on top of the schema (paper not the greatest base).

But how do I remove it, but at the same time keep it to get all the tracks aligned correctly 🤔

Edited by Grenkin

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along 🙂   Make sure the point tiebars and any over-centre springs are kept clear of ballast.  

Tip: when ballasting, after spreading the ballast tap the top of the rails gently with whatever spoon you're using to shovel the ballast.  This will "bounce" loose grains off the tops of the sleepers before you apply the glue and give you a neater result. 

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.ea8dfd2254257c08ba6b1c67593bf3d5.JPG

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Looks like he's used the double sided sticky tape method, as in a That Model Railway Guy's video, so no glue involved.  Any loose ballast should be removed with a vac clearing the points mechanisms.

1 hour ago, Mac202 said:

Looks like he's used the double sided sticky tape method, as in a That Model Railway Guy's video, so no glue involved.  Any loose ballast should be removed with a vac clearing the points mechanisms.

Actually I used both 🤣

There is tape and then glue afterwards

37 minutes ago, Grenkin said:

Hello, I have a question  

I am going to use Peco platform on a straight

Do I need cork under it?

How far should it be from rail?

Ballast should go to the platform?

If you have cork under the rail then ideally yes, but note there was a lot of height variations on real platforms, sometimes just on one.

As far away as the widest loco will allow without fouling which is really the 08 with outside rods. 

Yes, ballast does go to the platform edge (never got around to it on mine though).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, so much struggle to solder tracks for someone who never did this before.

Even bigger struggle is to solder to small parts of track on the points.

Looking on the shunting yard and it makes me sad.

But, question: I assume that if I've added wires in the marked places after the points, I do not need to solder anything to the circled points, right?

PointsWiring.thumb.png.0d726db9120ff94c2f5cbd3744d2deb4.png

On 31/01/2024 at 10:47, Rallymatt said:

Perfect purpose for flexi track. As adjoining sections are fixed, this makes using flexi really easy. Tillig flexi is code 80, same as Hornby set track so you can connect up with no problem. Then you create the custom curves, ensuring the radius is as gentle through the length as possible. It will have two curves, a very elongated S. Looks great and works well.

This is mostly for me (and if anyone would search), but looks like Peco flexible track would also connect to Hornby.

Yes it is different code, and it would look slightly odd, but it is possible.

Referencing a comment with the photo of two joined together.

P.S.: Rallymatt, this is not to complain to your comment, this is for the history. Also I've already followed your advise and successfully added Tilling flexi track to my layout 🙂

Btw regarding the flexi track could not find the answer, how fix rail in place?

I am using it at the end of the line (line ends with flexible track).

I've glued sleepers to the cork, but I can still move the rail itself easily. How I can prevent this? Keep in mind I am using Hornby buffers and they do not hold the rail.

I was planning to add nails in the end, but maybe better way exist.

Good use of brass screws at the board joints. That's my preferred method.   Try and "flow" the solder joints a bit more, maybe add a little bit of flux when tinning and making the joint.  If you haven't been doing so, I'd suggest run a file over the top of the screw first to remove any coating and also to "key" the surface.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything Nick has said, plus I am sure he would also agree, practice practice. Filing a surface to be soldered (rail or brass screw) and use additional flux. The flux in solder isn’t really where you want it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1