Getting into the hobby first layout

Grenkin

39 minutes ago, Grenkin said:

@ntpntpntp @Rallymatt Thanks for suggestions. I completely forgot about filing and was soldering as is.

My solder should have flux in it, do I need "external" flux?

I always  add  extra  flux even  with  multicore  solder, I find it  makes  the  job  much  easier.   Another  tip I recently  discovered  from  my 00 layout for  joining  wires  under baseboards is  to  use Wago 221  connectors. Much  easier  and  safer  if  the  layout  is  permantly  set up.

Edited by Irishmail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would always recommend a specific flux compound, essentially it cleans and when hot evacuates any oxygen from the soldered joint as it forms. The solder will flow better and make a stronger joint. Solder with flux never works as well, the flux burns off almost as soon as the solder starts to melt so it never does its intended job. 

The great thing about a soldered joint is that it’s really easy to make it again 😉

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grenkin said:

@ntpntpntp @Rallymatt Thanks for suggestions. I completely forgot about filing and was soldering as is.

Not for soldering up electrical wiring as electrician's cored solder already has flux, but for a larger surface area such as rail to brass screw I find a tiny dob of extra flux helps with the flow.   I use Fry's PowerFlow paste and just add a tiny bit on the end of a cocktail stick.  A small pot lasts for years 🙂 

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grenkin said:

I have always used an external flux whether wire, rail, kits for over 50 years.

For any electrical work wire to wire, wire to rail etc I use Corroline electricians flux. It was used by electricians at the carriage works for cables etc. It is a non corrosive flux as you cannot wash electrical items.

For kits of Brass, Nickel etc I use Bakers fluid (common name Killed Sprits) which is Hydrochloric acid based and therefore needs washing in warm water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

You seem to have the baseboard joints working well 👍

where it’s stopped on last video, do you have a dropper between that point and next baseboard join? 

Yes. Droppers are on all sections between all points and all cuts in rails

• Like 1

Next I would check gauging on the loco. If you get a peak/trough in power the decoders do seem sensitive to it and shut down, gauging to 10.4-10.43mm seems to have a major advantage. Don’t forget tender wheels, I have found they are often the cause. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Next I would check gauging on the loco. If you get a peak/trough in power the decoders do seem sensitive to it and shut down, gauging to 10.4-10.43mm seems to have a major advantage. Don’t forget tender wheels, I have found they are often the cause. 

Then I need to find gauge pin here in Spain 😑

Get some accurate vernier calipers and measure something you could use as the gauge, ie back of pliers etc. engineering suppliers will have Pin Gauges available in the sizes too. It won’t be too hard to find. 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Get some accurate vernier calipers and measure something you could use as the gauge, ie back of pliers etc. engineering suppliers will have Pin Gauges available in the sizes too. It won’t be too hard to find. 👍

Already on order 🤣 I think calipers as yours (based of video)

On 04/08/2024 at 09:16, Silver Fox 17 said:

If you have cork under the rail then ideally yes, but note there was a lot of height variations on real platforms, sometimes just on one.

As far away as the widest loco will allow without fouling which is really the 08 with outside rods. 

Yes, ballast does go to the platform edge (never got around to it on mine though).

Getting back to this question, could you share size if 08? I do not have one, but I guess better to be ready for other locomotives

3 hours ago, Grenkin said:

Getting back to this question, could you share size if 08? I do not have one, but I guess better to be ready for other locomotives

At the moment I cannot do anything as I am in hospital after an op.  Possibly Rallymatt can help with this for you.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

At the moment I cannot do anything as I am in hospital after an op.  Possibly Rallymatt can help with this for you.

He already did.

Get better soon 

• Like 2

Once again ballasting question.

More specifically, what do you do with buildings? I have Hornby engine shed and Peco goods shed, both should have track inside. Do I need to ballast inside?

How "spread" ballast should be in the engine shed?

PS: Disclaimer as first timer not chasing extreme realism 🙂

Depends on the sheds, larger sheds tended to have concrete or stone floors making it smoother but some also had ballast (goods sheds with a loading platform) and others just masses of compacted ash made smooth with wear, probably some ballast under that. 

• Thanks 1