Sound Distortion on new 8 Pin Decoder

Here’s a new one for me….

8 Pin decoder all successfully installed into a brand new Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T, with the 2MT sound profile loaded and working. Sound volume set at 35.

Everything running fine, THEN the without any obvious cause, the sound started to distort - all crackly and hissy.

I’ve re-loaded the 2MT sound profile, same distortion. I then loaded the Class 08 sound file to be sure it wasn’t the 2MT file causing the issue……same distortion. I’ve swapped speakers several times…same distortion. I then removed the decoder from the loco onto my Test-Board to check it wasn’t the loco’s PCB causing the problem….same distortion.

Any thoughts on what might be happening here or what I might do to resolve?

I’d initially suspect speaker too, however if same distortion is present on multiple speakers, I’d suspect a fault with decoder’s amp was more likely the culprit. Either way contact George & ask his advice for what to return.

I did have this happen on a TTS, I only noticed it was that badly distorted when I bought another one off Amazon because they were doing a deal. I eventually sent it back to Hornby for a replacement. Normally it is the speaker, or as I found with HM7000 the supply voltage not being high enough but there is some electronics that can go wrong.

Make sure the speaker driver and enclosure are sealed as air leaks with cause crackly sound. A smear of silicone sealant is ideal as it can be removed later if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...