TT 6022 TTA Tanker CARLESS

Nightraker

When Hornby released there TT120 paper Catalogue..there was no ESSO

In there...I ordered 3 x BP. 3 x TOTAL and 3 x CARLESS...Has anyone heard or ordered the CARLESS...these were ordered in the period of 10% discount

T.I.A.

(Island with No Trains)

As mentioned Carless livery was replaced with ESSO. If you pre ordered, you should have an email from Hornby advising the order is now in stock, you can then check if the item number you ordered but now in ESSO branding is on there. If you don’t want that livery you can cancel that part of your order. Note in all publications it does say whilst correct at time, all products are liable to change.

So catalogue showed Carless, website description read Total, NACO & web pic showed ESSO - Hornby definitely hedged their bets initially on product TT6022! 🙃

(I am delighted with their final choice, but certainly have sympathy for anyone who isn’t.)

I'm not sure that the Esso variant is correct. It's described as a 35 ton tank wagon — these were an earlier type and were vacuum braked. I notice that it doesn't carry the TTA lettering nor the HAZCHEM lettering that the other two do, so it's certainly an earlier livery — whether the livery actually appeared on a TTA I don't know.

The earlier 35t tank is well known as the prototype for the Airfix kit, though that was a class B tank wagon and these are class A. It hasn't appeared very often in RTR form, being offered in OO by Heljan and (possibly) Oxford, though I'm not sure they ever introduced theirs. In N gauge it's produced by Revolution Trains.

These do like identical to the recently released OO TTAs which if they are developing both scales for items simultaneously, that has to be a good thing. The very early livery and vacuum braked version tempted me, looks convincing enough for me. But if anyone has pointers to changes that could make it even more accurate it would be helpful. I am considering some re numbering

Hi,

Airfix kit was the ESSO 35T Gross Laden Weight (GLW) tank wagons - 3200 series were class A and those still extant became ESSO 43200 etc, under TOPS (early 1970s), whilst 3300 series were class B and those still extant became ESSO 43300 etc. Incidentally, ESSO similar LPG tank wagons were ESSO 43101 etc.

The Hornby models are the 45T GLW version, with UIC Double Link suspension, with 6105 becoming ESSO 56105 under TOPS. Since this batch was built mid 60s, they had less than 10 years before becoming renumbered for TOPS. In later years these vehicles would have had Taperleaf springs fitted in lieu of 13 plate spring (as per the Total model) - 15 foot wheelbase vehicles had a (higher) risk of derailment on jointed track and track having particular cyclic top and were thus reduced to 45mph in tare - Taperleaf enabled 60mph in tare and, with having air brakes, they were compatible to operate in Speedlink services, etc.

Thanks for the info Paul, clearly someone who knows the subject. What would someone need to do to make the ESSO TTA appear like the early version 1960s and then again to make it correct appearance for 1980’s-end of service for example?

As sold, they represent the early version.

For 1980s version - underframe with Taperleaf springs and markings as per Total tank, ie, TOPS Nos, TOPS Panel, Hazchem panel on tank, TOPS yellow oval plate on solebar.

However, you'd be better looking at relevant photos.

... with 6105 becoming ESSO 56105 under TOPS. Since this batch was built mid 60s, they had less than 10 years before becoming renumbered for TOPS.

So, the ESSO one is actually what Hornby call Era 6 rather than the Era 7 as advertised?

That's disappointing. I'd have gone for the Total one if I'd known that.

Yeah ... just looked at the Total tanker. It's got the Trainload Sectorisation markings on, so really should be Era 8?

It's a bit rubbish of Hornby to be giving out duff information on these wagons.

@Paul-41A/TI & @mr2002 - there are multiple inaccuracies/errors on the website listings. Everyone is advised to report any they spot to marketing@hornby.com - so the web developers can be informed & requested to fix them.