HM7000 customisation or using in other brands

Grenkin

Hello,

Most likely this question was already covered, but it is impossible to use search here.

As I understand it is possible to use HM7000 in for example European trains (for example Tilling), given that socket is compatible.

But without profile it only controls movement, right?

Is it possible to create some custom sound profiles?

Or maybe using sound fitted loco I can change only the DCC chip?

PS: I am suuuuuuper nube in this topic, just recently started with my new HM7000 train set

But without profile it only controls movement, right?

No incorrect.... The profile in the HM7000 decoder is functional to controlling motor movement as well as the sound. Without any profile, the decoder will not function properly. This is why a generic profile (steam loco) is included in every brand new HM7000 decoder. Part of setting up the HM7000 decoder for the first time includes downloading and installing a more appropriate profile to replace the default one to get more appropriate sounds and fine tune the motor control characteristics for the class of loco the decoder is being fitted to.

Is it possible to create some custom sound profiles?

No ... absolutely not. Whether this will change at some time in the future, who can say. But it is not currently possible.

Or maybe using sound fitted loco I can change only the DCC chip?

The sounds are part of the decoder. A sound fitted loco will have a sound decoder installed. So changing the fitted sound decoder for a different sound decoder will change the sounds as well.

P.S. It is really easy to search this forum using "Google Advanced Search" follow link below. In the 'site domain' box insert "hornby.com" and Google will only give results from searching the hornby.com website including the forum.

https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en

I find all the lost posts I search for using this method, that in essence replaces the Hornby provided forum search box.

The decoder will work in any loco/train if it fits the socket. The only issues probably being that the maximum current for the decoder is not exceeded. The only issue you will get is that the sound will probably be wrong but all the rest will work. When I fit these to a loco to check they work, I think if I remember properly, the default sound is steam, so when testing one in my HST, it was a diesel sounding like a steam train. So you need to select a profile that is similar to the loco you are fitting it to. Generally the big issue is horns, these seem to be unique to certain locos but if you are happy to have the wrong horn then no problems. So in short it will work, the functions on the loco will work unless it is one that has in excess of 5 functions to switch on the lights, the loco will run, it is just the sound might not be quite right but there again a lot of British locos are made by foreign manufacturers so it could be right.

Thanks
In this case as I understand it will "never" be posible to use HM7000 with locos without Hornby profile.
I was hoping HM could be single decoder "to rule them all"

If it’s a diesel or electric locomotive, it might be worth checking whether your locomotive has similar characteristics (power unit/transformer etc) to a UK locomotive that Hornby sell and have a profile for. Also note that the Hornby sound profile list will soon include a Rivarossi locomotive - Italian FS class E656. Other European locomotives will no doubt follow.

Edit: Colin B has beat me to it, to an extent - it does depend how close to prototype you want your sounds to be/can live with.

Thanks

As I understand: it is possible to control any locomotive with compatible socket. The "issue" us that it would have sounds from different loco.

Things like top speed or similar can be configured.

Just to add to other advice.

If the running characteristics of the chosen sound profile do not work well with your loco motor (poor running, jerky, etc), then you can use auto-calibrate to improve things.

1. Ensure that F0 is disabled (turn off the lights!)

2. Programme CV149 = 0 to arm the calibration process. The locomotive will now no longer respond to throttle input. Return to locomotive control on your

controller.

3. Beware that the locomotive will move off at a fast pace and stop within about 1.5 metres

4. Place the locomotive on the track and start the calibration sequence by pressing F0 on the control device.

5. The locomotive will accelerate immediately and stop abruptly. CV143, CV145, CV146 and CV147 will have now been populated by the AC process.

6. Auto-calibration is now complete. CV150, CV151 and CV152 are automatically written to default values and CV149 is reset to default. (CV149 = 2 PA... i.e., the

Internal Control Algorithm.)

7. Normal throttle control is resumed.