Brand new decoder shows up as resettable

Just installed a brand new decoder. Scanned for it in the HM DCC app and it's showing up as "resettable" instead of "ready to link".

I can't reset it because I don't have the reset code - the decoder is fresh out of the box and never been used before.

Does anyone know what I can do to get it working?

Cheers, Phil

OK, make that two of them now. I just tried with another completely new decoder and that is also showing up as needing a reset.

These are two of a batch of three I bought from Amazon before Christmas. The first one works just fine - I fitted it to a Hornby 9F. I've been trying the other two in a Hornby P2.

All of them are 21-pin HM7000 sound decoders.

Are they likely to be faulty?

Well, progress is being made. I have managed to reset the decoder using Reset1234.

Interestingly I also received an email from Hornby with the specific reset code for the decoder - not sure if that was an automatic thing via my HM7000 account after several failed reset attempts, or if a staffer has read this thread and intervened.

Either way, I've got the decoder linked and assigned. Just installing the loco profile now. I'm still confused as to why it needed resetting in the first place though. It's taken a lot of power cycling, bluetooth wrangling, and Anglo-Saxon language to get this far. Shame. HM7000 is otherwise pretty impressive.

Once linked you should get an email advice from a Hornby (automatic) that includes the reset code. Although you will soon work out that the code can be worked out from the MAC address - prefix the last four digits with a4c13800 (I’m using memory for that code but you will recognise what I mean from the code you have received).

There should be no need for a forced reset if a new decoder shows as resettable - just power cycle the layout and the tablet or phone for a couple of minutes. When you power it all back up again it should show as linkable.

No need for anything more complicated than that in the majority of cases.

• Thanks 1

Hornby seem to mail you the reset code once they know you have bought their product. If you go into play and look for a search Bluetooth app, this will search all the bluetooth devices in the vicinity. HM7000 will appear with an address separated by colons, this is your reset address. The Hornby app has a habit of bringing up perfectly good devices as resettable, when I was fitting my HST ones, the first one was ok the second one came up as resettable. In the end I deleted the app reloaded it and after a lot of messing about eventually worked. I think the new term for it is Fujitsu software.

It is not necessary to use any third party app or software to find the decoder or its address. It is also totally unnecessary to delete the app to cure a freeze or glitch.

99% of times a simple switch it off and on again will be sufficient, as it is with most items these days.

Hornby knows who you are as you are logged into their app. They use your registration email to send you the reset code automatically as required when the decoder you are trying to link needs resetting. But note as stated power cycling gets round a known glitch that locks the app in the 'resettable' loop.

You can only use the delete / force delete trick if the decoder is previously linked to the app, else you cannot get to the delete / force delete screen.

No it is not necessary to use a third party app to find the address, it is just a help. It was recommended to me by someone on this site and it has proved extremely useful, especially as in my case the mail from Hornby with the Reset code arrived later that the HM7000 delivery.

It may be helpful to you Colin but it carries the potential for the less technically knowledgeable to inadvertently pair the decoder with their phone/tablet should they start randomly searching via other apps or inbuilt phone software.

In another thread I have referred to K.I.S.S. and in this case keeping it simple is to only use the Hornby app to look for devices to link.

In the case of establishing the decoder address an alternative manual method has also been described that has no risk of any inadvertent pairing.

Sorry SteveM6 I doubt it can do that. If you use the wrong reset code it will just come up with an error. I doubt non technical people would do it anyway. The Bluetooth search tool is pretty obvious, it comes up with the name of the node, I think when I did it, it was pretty obvious it was the HM7000 node. You can only use the Hornby App to link, the search tool is only useful for trying to get the Reset code, which it appears it appears is its Bluetooth node address. You only need to use it if you don't have the reset code. For a start the App should be doing this anyway, with me it was doing it on a brand new device and if I remember rightly it took many attempts to get it to work properly.

It may well be that the app you use to establish the reset code/ decoder address won’t pair the decoder but you have misinterpreted my advice.

There were instances last year of some users trying to pair their decoders in the same way that you would pair say a BT speaker.

As I said earlier, there is absolutely no need to go beyond the HMDCC app to determine he address. However if a user with a little knowledge (but perhaps not enough) goes leaping into scanning for devices via a non HMDCC route risks the possibility of inadvertently pairing and thereby locking out the decoder.

I return to my original point - stick to the approved route/process.

The HMDCC doesn't give you the resettable code, that comes directly from Hornby via an email. As to pairing, I didn't mention using anything other than the Hornby app. Perhaps a better answer would be as to why it comes up as resettable in the first place, then there wouldn't be any need for all this.

This was posted on Facebook
forum_image_65c0e99881a04.thumb.png.40156b403bcfc40dce277671b0546141.png

It's not just Android - I had this 'resettable' problem recently with a new 8-TXS decoder using the app on an iPad. But the implication is that it's a bug in recent versions of the app, rather than in recent decoders, and hopefully it will get fixed before too long.

Regards, John

At 17:27 on 4th Feb you suggested going to the playstore to get a Bluetooth app to detect nearby devices.

Your statement that "the HMDCC doesn't give you the reset code" is wrong.

It is displayed quite clearly on the app. It can also be worked out as I have explained elsewhere.

The logic behind needing a reset is if the decoder has previously been grabbed by another device. In the case of a factory fresh decoder this should have been purged after bench testing, so the reason likely sits in the local app. Regardless there is a simple and easily applied workaround until the bug is zapped.

Ok then SteveM6 if the App displays it (which I must admit I have never noticed) why does the App do nothing with it. Either way it makes no difference, hopefully I won't run into the issue again and if somebody has the same issue they can follow your advice.

…why does the App do nothing with it…

erm… the app does the only useful things it can with the codes, it stores them in a viewable list & provides user with an option to export them!

Considering each code’s only function is to reset a specific decoder - you’d hardly expect the app to offer to make them a cup of tea & ask how their day had been! 🙄

On the Manage Devices page the reset code is clearly displayed as shown in the photo.

Also note that the top of that page shows the decoder name as HM7000_BAC8. The reset code is the last four digits, converted to lower case and preceded by a4c13800.

No external apps or searches required.

forum_image_65c1138a5210d.thumb.png.ac8e007e995d0fd69f7f2a551dfbe28c.png

I was playing around with the app just now and I suddenly remembered why I deleted the App and reinstalled it. The delete function although it sort of works is not that brilliant. If you want to get rid of all your scanned devices, you can do it but it is not that easy, hence the delete App and reinstall.

RDS Mod Note:
@SteveM6, I can't help thinking your picture would have come out better without all the fingerprints!

Absolutely!!

A very rushed photo (I know, it shows) to demonstrate where the information for reset codes can be found. And also a demonstration of what a screen looks like after servicing locos and fitting decoders.

Another excuse is that I have a dedicated HM7k tablet without anything else on it so as not to get any interference on the app (overkill but a legacy of early testing). Consequently I can’t easily drop a screenshot onto the forum. But the photo serves its purpose.

So SteveM6 do you get that screen if the device displays as resettable? I must admit I never noticed I was more interested in fixing the error. 96RAF it uses the full address to reset. The next question is, if it is in the App why does Hornby waste their time sending it to you.