TT:120 Parallel track seperation

Smithy589

It is strange that Hornby don't provide track geometry information but, on the other hand, their approach is to do what's easiest for them and try to sell you track packs.  On the other hand, Tillig's approach involves them selling you special bits of track to make a precise fit (perhaps the average German wouldn't take a saw to a piece of set-track?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SMR248 said:

It is strange that Hornby don't provide track geometry information but, on the other hand, their approach is to do what's easiest for them and try to sell you track packs.  On the other hand, Tillig's approach involves them selling you special bits of track to make a precise fit (perhaps the average German wouldn't take a saw to a piece of set-track?)

It has been requested.

• Like 1

Hasn’t anyone done a little subtraction?

R4 - R3

R3 - R2

R2 - R1

Answer - 43mm

And that’s the same as the spacing from 2 points in a crossover or one point and an R6 to bring it back to parallel. Or similar if you use a (correct) crossing rather than a point. 

• Like 1

Unless you’re using Peco.

When joining points on AnyRail, their parallel spacing comes out at 36mm. 
I think that’s possibly more prototypical. 
I'm looking forward to receiving the Mk3 coaches to see what clearance is needed on the curves. 

36 minutes ago, Peachy said:

I'm looking forward to receiving the Mk3 coaches to see what clearance is needed on the curves. 

Pencil taped to the corner and middle, mark it out and measure video? 😉

Essential for planning curved platforms 👍🏼

Seem to recall my 00 Lima HST hitting the Hornby Flying Scotsman Gresley Coaches every time they passed on a corner as a kid, can't remember the radius... Only the frustration and disappointment.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2024 at 23:20, Fishmanoz said:

Hasn’t anyone done a little subtraction?

R4 - R3

R3 - R2

R2 - R1

Answer - 43mm

And that’s the same as the spacing from 2 points in a crossover or one point and an R6 to bring it back to parallel. Or similar if you use a (correct) crossing rather than a point. 

The average Brit doesn't do "difficult maths" like "taking away"...  You're very kind to give the answer though.

One of the supposed advantages of TT120 is that it is an "easy" scale ratio to work with, ie 0.1" to 1'.  I realise that this is totally unhelpful to most people, particularly as it's in feet and inches, but...

Incidentally the R*c* track system uses slightly different dimensions but you don't want to be using that...

Mod note - see guideline 1. You are allowed to name other brands in full.