Old Triang Trains Vibrate on brand new Hornby Track

Hi Have three old Triang engines that belonged to my father. All three run well on my older Hornby track from the 90s but I recently bought some brand new straights from Hornby and when two if the engines travel over the brand new track there is a dull vibration/rubbing sound and the engine slows slightly. I can't see where the trains are rubbing and the track looks near identical to my older 90s track. 

Is there anything I can do to fix it? The trains are a Jinty 0-6-0  and a Britannia 4-6-2 both Triang models from the 60s.

The third engine is a diesel shunter made around the same time (also Triang) and that is silent over the new track.

Also the newer engines I own seem to run over the track without issue.

Many thanks

Posted (edited)

Sounds like the old models have deep wheel flanges which aren't compatible with modern track.  The old wheels are bumping on the chairs and sleepers.

Folk with engineering skills have been known to put the wheels on a lathe and turn them down a little, but to be honest if you want to run old models it's best to use track of the same age which was designed for the models. 

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've had a closer look at the double straight track and I think "ntpntpntp" is right. The grips for the sleepers on the "double straight" do look to be ever so slightly taller! Which is a bit annoying.

In the photo attached are two brand new pieces of track, you can see where the sleepers are attached to the track is marginally higher in the bottom pic than the top.

Top pic is a Hornby regular straight and the bottom pic is a Hornby Double Straight.

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Just a heads up for anyone who stumbles across this thread and has the same issue after testing all the new track I bought, it appears all of the "double" versions of curves and straights are incompatible but standard shorter curves and straights are fine.

I'm just talking to myself at this point but I filed down the slight raised edges on the sleepers and that seems to have done the trick no more vibration.

Edited by Toddie86
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Toddie86 said:

I'm just talking to myself at this point 

No sir, you are not talking to yourself.

Ntp had the diagnosis straight away and you are presenting your solution.  That's exactly what the forum is about.

If you file the chairs too much, the rails will be released, leading to all sorts of subtle issues, like gauging.  

Bee

Thanks Bee, I was only joking about talking to myself 😅

I appreciate the point though about filing them too low, it turned out they only needed probably half a mm so all seems good.

Good work thinking of a solution. That is what railway modelling is all about. If you did file them too low, the sleepers could always be fixed with superglue. Mind you, I use superglue for most things. XYZ

• Like 1

I have two dock shunters (don't ask), one with milled wheels, one without. The milled wheels version crunches around the track but doesn't like one of the points. The smooth version zips along, then slows to a crawl, then stops! It's not overkeen on the same points. Currently gently filing down the plastic. Don't know why one stops? Could it be a weak magnet? The light stays on.

57 minutes ago, AlloAllo said:

... zips along, then slows to a crawl, then stops...

Could you have a bit of fluff winding up on the internal mechanism.  Something that mechanically binds up.  Especially so as

59 minutes ago, AlloAllo said:

The light stays on.

Meaning there is still power to the locomotive.  The motor should turn, but cannot

Bee

Does the armature get hot as well? I have had this problem with a few Tri-ang motors. It’s been a fault in the armature and a change has solved the problem. The dock shunter is basically the same as the Transcontinental power bogie with a different top piece and can be swapped over, much easier than changing the armature as you will inevitably lose one of the trust ball bearings!. Just make sure you put the top piece back on the same way round. 

If you want to change the armature then as well as the Transcontinintal bogie, it’s the same one in the DMU/EMU/blue Pullman but not the Hymek. 

If you took the wheels out did you put them in the right way round? One side is insulated (black plastic bush around the axle) and this side needs to go where the pick-up is. The other side is live through the chassis. I have bought a number of Tri-ang diesels as non-runners for very little money that have had a wheel set put in backwards, less than 5 mins and they were great runners. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, AlloAllo said:

One query please. What is the purpose of the capacitor?

TV interference suppression.  More applicable to the old analogue TV and radio signal  than digital TV.

Edited by ntpntpntp

So the capacitor is not really necessary?

Going back to the track, my elder brother had a train set with a Princess Loco and a Jinty, and some transcontinental coaches.

This was back in the mid 50s and I think the track was on a grey plastic bed? Grandad's memory may be failing him there!

4 hours ago, AlloAllo said:

So the capacitor is not really necessary?

The RC network (resistor capacitor network) was to suppress electronic noise that would be picked up on analog TV and Radio receivers.  Over The Air receivers. 

The RC network is really an artifact of days gone by.  Nothing to do with the performance of your locomotives, merely a nod to an antiquated broadcast method.  You may hear the noise if you tune into an AM (amplitude modulation) radio station if conditions are just right.  The noise emitted by the locomotive is broad band noise, yet at a reasonably low amplitude.

Bee