A1376 Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär

And to complete Airfix's triumvirate of vehicles based upon the Panzer IV chassis.  Another enjoyable build, with the only filler needed on ejection marks on the open hatches.  Photographs from the time depict many vehicles with a missing plate or two from their skirts, so decided this one had to lose a plate.

image.thumb.png.5d3458e72c2911be2168d32291e63745.png

Decided to go for a mild soiling for this vehicle just to be different from the others recently made.  Although it was Humbrol weathering powders in decal fix to the fore.  I keep to the decal fix as it is easy to adjust weathering by re-activating with water until the desired finish is achieved.  Also it is so easy to make washes with weathering powders 'diluted' with decal fix and capillary action works on glossed panel lines.  Of course weathering powders work best on a matt surface as they have something to adhere to so have to get the order of application right.

Where there is metal to metal contact, cogs and return rollers etc. the paint has been stripped to reveal steel.  

image.thumb.png.9197d0eef8ebc3d3cdb04739ac0e2df0.png

The crew member has recently transferred in from a Tamiya Pzkpf 38(T) and seems to be comfortable with his new perch, as the model needs something to lift its visual appeal.

Once again (as with the Stug IV) the fitting of the skirts is omitted from the instructions but is pretty straight forward.  An internet search reveals that these vehicles had zimmerit up to September '44, but as yet haven't summoned up the courage to do such.  One of the Tiger's in the stash requires Zimmerit so will endeavour to practice that before attempting that build.

Come on Airfix, a Jagd Panzer IV next please.

image.thumb.png.06836cc0288d79808ee5574639621ea5.png

Andy

1 hour ago, Topcat_Ern said:

Forgot to mention that I had a helper for this build.

Uh oh - I was appreciating the skill & effort that had gone in to your build… then I got a little distracted! 😍😂

• Haha 1