Reliability of TT

I am building an exhibition layout. Given that track is good. What advice would you give? Need to run multiple hours without issues, or as close as I can get.

so far with testing, what fails are the couplings and it does seem to be always between the same carriages.

so far one issue every 30 min.

Posted (edited)

That sounds like the typical problem you get with many types of coupling in many scales:  two items of rolling stock have couplings which hate each other and misbehave 🙂 My usual solution is to try turning one coach or wagon 180 degrees in the train, or move one wagon somewhere else in the train.  It's worth examining the couplings carefully for any droop or general difference in height, or failure to engage properly.    Failing that, sometimes I use a tiny amount Copydex or TackyWax in the couplings as a semi-permanent fix, or for permanent rakes you could try one of the magnetic coupling alternatives.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1

My early TT experience with the Arnold ferry vans was that the couplings were ‘iffy’ so I swapped to the Tillig version. Ironically Continental TT modellers seem to have more issues with Tillig ones than the Kuehn that Hornby use. Now I am more experienced with TT, I think it was getting the coupling height correct that influences reliability. Some items of stock can have a KK stick which stops them coupling correctly and if only 1 metal hook engages, that can cause an uncoupling event. It’s very rare though and if they hook up correctly they stay coupled in my experience. I did have a coupling with a slightly bent metal hook, once sorted, it’s not been an issue since 

2 minutes ago, Froobyone said:

I switched to magnetic couplers on all my passenger TT stock and Dapol Easi-fits for the freight.

I use the magnetic ones also, not had a decoupling since. Makes it easier for swapping coaches / wagons in & out too.

• Like 2

I've switched all rolling stick to magnets.  Using West hill wagon works Hunt magnets. They're great, easy to fit and are functioning well on 27R curves even on the extra close lengths of 5mm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charlie 66 said:

I've switched all rolling stick to magnets.  Using West hill wagon works Hunt magnets. They're great, easy to fit and are functioning well on 27R curves even on the extra close lengths of 5mm.

I've done the same. No problems so far.

Posted (edited)

I tested out the HST with the hunt magnets, and yes much more reliable. Only able to cause decouple by starting very fast. Now Bluetooth is the issue with not every decoder discovered every time. Although once working does seem to be very reliable. Hopefully at a show with lots of people, Bluetooth continues to work ok. I have had issues with WiFi. May need DCC as a backup.

Edited by John-357061
  • Like 1

Wi-Fi is only required during the installation process, in operation it’s all via Bluetooth so fully independent of any WiFi issues. Having a DCC back up plan for exhibition use does sound like a solid plan 😁

Ah, you are talking about using HM DCC Bluetooth as a back up to the WiFi system you normally use. Some of these WiFi systems are having lots of problems with interfering by other signals, heard a few Z21 based systems  have crashed on exhibition

With our other layout, we have hardwired controls. If WiFi working ok can use phones.

Would like to use the Bluetooth. As a backup probably try using DCC Ex. Small layout just need basic control.