What’s Next?

Ok a load of fantastic new Hornby TT:120 models have been delivered, we know some of what’s coming too. 
Thinking a bit on from that I am hoping that attention will turn to ‘local services’ We have a good selection of big expresses and heavyweights, some shunting locos but the backbone of the the railways has always been the mid size local services. 
J50 will double as a small loco here, 08 rarely did any serious work away from yards. 
Perhaps a BR std 4MT (2-6-4 tank) for steam era and a Class 25 for diesels. Both these had very wide regional coverage and long service life. One of these on a short 2/3 coach train or half a dozen mixed wagons or even a mix of two would be perfect and fit almost any layout 😁 

I know there are loads of variations on a theme here but I thought of these as they were so ubiquitous. 

• Like 3

I would say the smaller local services would have far exceeded the main passenger ones so lots for Hornby to look at. I do have a Stanier 2-6-4 tank and a basic (very basic) standard 4 tank and ideally would like some suburbans.

I have mentioned this to Javmar who said it is a possibility but any development work would be in liaison with the 3mm society which is understandable seeing that they have funded the project of Mk1 coaches.

My 120 BK is on its way and hopefully will show what can be possible. From what I understand so far is they have done/are doing the BK, an all first brake and a brake composite but think only the BK is fully done.

When I met Martyn at Sheffield he did ask what models I would like to see in 120 and I said the 2-6-0 tender loco that they had just announced in 00.

• Like 1

Tend to agree, a lot of us have radius 2 inner loops, so more to suit radius 2, and maybe 1, would be a good move.

I am thinking of doing a really small layout as a portable one for village events etc, but radius 3 and mainline doesn't suit. If Incoukd do a radius 1&2 inverted figure of 8 that would work fine.

I could go 009 for that, but it would be nicer to keep to one scale.

Would love Hornby to do a class 25 one day, there were quite a few variants and if you include the class 24's as well quite a few options.  Further down the line class 26's and 27's  could become an option.  

DMU's have been mentioned previously, the first generation units covering from the late 1950's up to late 1990's and various livery options too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I think the BR std 4MT was pretty much the LMS Stanier 2-6-4 wasn’t it? 

I don't about that in my opinion lol.

They are both 2-6-4 but that is it.  There was also the Fairburn 2-6-4 and Fowler 2-6-4. The Stanier one had two variations, 2 cylinder and 3 cylinder.

The main thing is the Standard has curved tanks and high front footplate, the others had flat tanks and low footplate.

IMG_20240601_130302.jpg

IMG_20240529_205423.jpg

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 3

I got the wrong designer! the Riddles version was based on the Fairburn 2 6 4 which in turn had developed from the Fowler design. 

All that lineage could mean a lot of variants of Hornby went that route although it could be a bit of challenge to make it all come together.

• Like 1

I don't know if the wheelbase is the same for all but if so then it does open up for a few variations as all of them had the double slide bars, unlike mine using the Hornby A1 single slide bar.

I am taking a guess the standard maybe shorter than the other 3 though with cylinders positioned higher but that would have been to use common parts from the standard 4 tender loco although that did have single slide bars, so much for standardisation lol.

A class 25 would be great. I only recently found out that they had the nick-name of "rats", as they were everywhere!!

As a child, when starting to read about locomotives and trains, I became obsessed with the Diesel Hyraulics (Westerns/Warships/Hymeks and the Kestral) never seen any in real life but would like to see one or two in TT120.

I had a Bachmann 5MT and that would be nice to see in TT120 too.

For information:

1st model railway present (christmas 1976)  Triang/Hornby R861 Evening Star 9F and 2 pullman coaches

then -

• Bachmann 5MT and some wagons
  • HornbyR685 Intercity 125 trainset
  • Hornby R751 class 37

Controllers R910 & R920 (circuit controller)

All track was set up on the carpetted floors on the livingroom and/or bedroom.  No baseboards every built or used.  TT120 gives me the chance to rectify this and hopefully in the future by the locos that I desired as a child.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@DuTTchy I was thinking more of a steam and diesel loco that was so common round the network it suits any layout or anyone modelling any region. Some of the classes are only specific to certain regions and a few have grumbled. Not me as they have been ideal 🤣

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 2

I said a 4MT and 25 as both were all over and a large tank would be great on end to end operations and look good on layouts with tighter radii, we should hopefully be getting a 5MT/Black 5 in the plan 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

There was also the Fairburn 2-6-4 and Fowler 2-6-4.

And the W class (he says jokingly, that would be rather niche). Seriously though a BR standard 4MT would be irresistible.

As someone who's only experience of steam is in preservation these locos are for me the absolute best. Childhood memories relived.

• Like 1

It'll probably be a while before there's some DMUs in the range, but I'd love to see a Class 156. I had one in Strathclyde Red (really bright orange) when I was a kid, I think it was a Lima model. It was always one of my favourites to run as it was one of the few model trains I had of one that I was regularly on in real life.

Posted (edited)

Hornby could shrink their 78XXX Standard 2 2-6-0 for TT, they worked across the country except Southern Region

reason why, they've got recent CAD files on their OO version. If feasible with their CAD files they could also introduce the Standard 4 75xxx 4-6-0 version which saw service on all regions except the Eastern and Scottish

Edited by gc4946
prototype information clarification

Posted (edited)

@gc4946, you are very naughty !

Wow that Class 2MT looks fantastic and has now gone straight to my wish list for my 00 layout BR period. sooo tempting but I haven't even got track down yet and still need la fair amount era 3 stuff !

Looking at the detail, it would be quite a feat in TT120, but yes please 😁

Edited by RB51
Banned word - removed

A Class 20 would be great as it could be offered in liveries from BR Green right through to privatisation. Quite widespread as well. Agree on the Class 24/25 series. At some stage a Warship and Western would be welcome and add variety.

• Like 2

I'd really like to see a three-car Class 101 DMU at some point in the future.

Perhaps in Blue/Grey, Green and Provincial.

It would open up a lot of options away from the mainlines.

Best

Dan

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Froobyone said:

I'd really like to see a three-car Class 101 DMU at some point in the future.

Perhaps in Blue/Grey, Green and Provincial.

It would open up a lot of options away from the mainlines.

Best

Dan

Like this which is waiting for some window vents.

FB_IMG_1717319660873.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Perfect Garry, a nice two/three car set in green and blue liveries would please a lot of people but Martyn and Carl have always suggested DMU is not near….. unless it’s one the secret projects…. 

Is that one from Lincoln with Halling Power Bogies? 

Edited by Rallymatt

11 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Is that one from Lincoln with Halling Power Bogies? 

Yes Matt, it is a 2 car set from Lincoln Locos with one Halling bogie. Due to the scale down the window vents did not print well so I removed them and one day hope to draw and get some nickel silver frames etched.

• Like 1

An early green/blue DMU would a great addition.  More branchline stock will really help those of us building small layouts and end-to-end planks.  I’d love to see some class 26 diesels for Scottish region.

• Like 1

The Stanier 4MT was a taper boiler version of the original Fowler engine. The Fairburn version was slightly simplified and shorter. The standard version was further modified still. The Fairburn version was also used on the Southern Region until they were all swapped for standard versions.

The standard version ran on the NE, LM, S and Scottish Regions, and also on the ER lines out of Fenchurch Street. In Scotland, it was used on branch lines including that to Killin/Loch Tay. It and the Fairburn type were used on Glasgow suburban services.

It was NOT used on the Western Region, which had considerable quantities of large passenger tanks in the 51xx and 61xx classes. The WR did have standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts which had Swindon designed boilers. These were also to be found on the NER and SR.

I think Carl said in one of the recent YouTube interviews that there were 4 locomotives in the design phase. 2 of which were part of the plan we know about and 2 were a surprise. 18 months to 2 years before we see these. Perhaps we'll get a hint by the end of the year. Personally I'd like a Fowler 3F or 4P. I'm tempted to get back into LMS by the Princess Coronation but don't want to make the investment if nothing else appropriate is coming.