& This is why you don't jump the gates at a Level Crossing...

Unfortunately JJ, many people seem to 'live in a virtual world'.  They seem to think that should anything happen, there's no problem, just press 'reset' and all will be fine and dandy, and they can start again.

Not happening!!

Al.

Clearly one who has escaped the advantages of evolution! Not quite sure why after clattering the barrier he didn’t continue to reverse or pull forwards, he did have time and the barrier arms do release. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Spelling

In fairness to the driver, it looks like he hooked the overhead signal assembly.  It shakes right at the start of the video.  So he was in trouble straight away.  The tractor (of a tractor trailer combination) typically has 550hp, which will not be enough to pull up concrete footings for the overhead signal assembly.  A limiting factor.

The crossing gate itself is typically break away in the US, meaning the tractor could snap it like the twig the crossing gate is.  Not a limiting factor.

The smartest move was getting away from the crossing, once he understood he wasn't saving his very expensive tractor.

Bee

Ouch. Mind you this sort of thing is not limited to the USA. I joined a queue at a half barrier crossing in East Anglia some years ago. Within 15 seconds some dork became suicidally impatient, pulled out of the queue and ran the crossing. He got away with it but it was a heart stopping moment

What is it with train crossings that makes vehicles stall and refuse to start. It can be anything from a motor bike to a big truck. The train always wins tho'

We had a numpty put his Merc up against a heritage loco on the NNR at the golf club crossing. That spoilt his round. Claims he didn't see the lights.

If he couldn’t see level crossing lights, he must have a lot of difficulty hitting the little white ball with his golfering bat. I presume he didn’t hear the siren either, or was one not fitted, I though all light controlled level crossing must have them but could be wrong. 

Firstly, I must point out that I am glad nobody was hurt or injured in the accident.

Second, I'm glad there's 'only a scratch on the bufferbeam' of the locomotive - heritage locomotives are expensive to maintain.

Third - serves them right for not paying attention - totally avoidable.  Train would not have been travelling quickly and cars have this thing on the steering wheel - called a horn I believe.  At the speed that loco would have been travelling - limited to 25mph isn't it? - they could have stopped with a little warning.

Al.

https://bosshorn.com/blogs/blog/uk-train-horn-rules

Locomotives also have a horn.  I do not know if there is an exception for heritage lines(?) The 4 wheeler should have heard that horn.  In the US, 110 dB at 100 feet, or as I call it, ridiculously loud.

It is very common in these incidents that the driver of the 4 wheeler is attempting to race the locomotive to the level crossing.  "I didn't notice the locomotive" is a far better excuse than "I am an person who risked the lives of all occupants of the car to save a few seconds"

Bee

1 hour ago, What About The Bee said:

https://bosshorn.com/blogs/blog/uk-train-horn-rules

Locomotives also have a horn.  I do not know if there is an exception for heritage lines(?) The 4 wheeler should have heard that horn.  In the US, 110 dB at 100 feet, or as I call it, ridiculously loud.

It is very common in these incidents that the driver of the 4 wheeler is attempting to race the locomotive to the level crossing.  "I didn't notice the locomotive" is a far better excuse than "I am an person who risked the lives of all occupants of the car to save a few seconds"

Bee

UK steam locos usually only have whistles and diesels normally only have horns. Most crossings don't require a toot as they are effectively guarded by barriers or wigwag lights and squealers. A whistle board normally pops up ahead of an occupation crossing, e.g. farm track or gated pedestrian crossing where the crosser is on their own cognizance according to posted rules at the location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have regular collisions between our heritage listed "Cockle Train" and motor vehicles under the control of candidates for the "Darwin Awards". Line runs from Goolwa to Victor Harbor in South Australia. I didn't see or hear the steam train blowing out tonnes of smoke and blasting its whistle is the usual excuse.

Edited by Aussie Fred
Spelling error
  • Like 2