Do you think that the New Smoking Hush Hush will have Troubles like the old Hush Hush???

Just wondering - I've noticed that they have bought out a New Version of the Hush Hush 'R30352SS LNER, W1 Class, 4-6-4, 10000 'Hush Hush' With Steam Generator - Era 3' - Do you think that it will have problems like the old Hush Hush did??? 🤔🚂

Whatever issues that Hornby was made aware of will absolutely be fixed, within commercial practicality.  

That is, Hornby has their heart in the right place.  They try very hard to do the right thing, JJ.  So if they can fix a problem and it doesn't cost a fortune, they will fix it.

Secondly, it is very hard to identify the failure rate.  Yes, there were some very, very vocal people doing their usual "Hornby bad" routine.  But we really have no idea the total shipped and just exactly how many of those had issues.  We can expect there will most always be some issues.  That is what Customer Service is there for, to fix issues.  But how many?  That is a trade secret.  

In other words, do not believe the exaggerated complaints of a few very loud people.  Especially when they have an agenda.

Bee 

Watching Sam's Trains videos at the time, the 1st issue was a disaster, but the 2nd issue had most/all of the chassis issues totally resolved if I remember.

I think it should be a perfectly good, very interesting model locomotive.

Hopefully, for those who care, the 'chuffs' will be synchronised - this will require the installation of some form of rotation location device, like the 'daisy wheel' we've seen lately.

Al.

If I recall correctly, the majority of complaints fell into two distinct categories, 1) damaged in transit and 2) front bogie travel limits.

The first has certainly been addressed by revised packaging and apparently the second has also been resolved. 

Ben Ando, the 'face' of Revolution Trains and former journalist has a regular column in Model Rail magazine in which this month's subject is quality control.

In the article he states that the industry aims for a failure rate of 3% by batch testing and homologation of parts and process. It is possible to achieve better than that but the additional costs involved to approach perfection would tender any model unviable.

Modelling forums are full of complaints about price and quality - sometimes it's the same individuals grumbling about both but apparently, a failure rate of 3% gives the manufacturer the best compromise between quality and cost.

It's well worth a read before commenting on the quality of products in the hobby.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JJ73 said:

Just wondering - I've noticed that they have bought out a New Version of the Hush Hush 'R30352SS LNER, W1 Class, 4-6-4, 10000 'Hush Hush' With Steam Generator - Era 3' - Do you think that it will have problems like the old Hush Hush did??? 🤔🚂

I have 2 Hush Hush, one in Grey Livery and second in Green Livery, I have used them on straight track only and never experienced any issue, in my straight track I do have points (3 x straight connected with points so Loco can go from track 1 to track 3 via points) as well and Grey livery one went through them without any issue. Green Livery only received few weeks ago so will try on the track when I take it out next time. I have ordered SS model as well but I am thinking I should cancel and wait until model is released and then get it from retailers instead of direct Hornby with reduced or less price. I mean Hornby is taking pre order at 295.99 but The model Centre is taking pre order at 264.49.

Seems to be right, I had one real problem with a Hornby model, of my 30+ locomotives. 

Not so good for Oxford, a 50% failure...

I wasn't impressed with yesterday's anouncement, but I see a W1 coming my way. It seems the last one (R30126) had already the new tender coupling.

@Loewietje I thought yesterday's announcement near perfect.

Why?

The announcement was the polar opposite of announcements from recent years past.  Instead of a broad promise covering a wide variety of stock, we received laser focus on stock that we can definitely purchase soon.  

Under promise, Over deliver.

While nothing in the announcement suited my fancy, I recognize the change in presentation.  What Martyn says is coming: absolutely is coming in the near future.  

In this way, I know.  When Martyn says something about something I do fancy (cough cough Locomotion cough), I can trust what he says.  It is not an empty promise.

Bee

• Like 2

Bee, I’m still a very big fan, Hornby pulled me through my darkest hours, and I know it could be a million other things, but it wasn’t. And I’m quite happy with the way they’re going, I recently bought Hermit, the Dublo FS, CoA and SS PoW, and have Locomotion and SS Earl Marechal on pre-order, together with the whole coronation rake. And the 5MT was hard to say no to. Together that’s more than all orders from others combined.

Hornby has come a long way with how they present new and upcoming releases, like designers Phil, Louis, Sam etc presenting their own work. The latest Engine Shed was one of the best so far. But yesterday’s ‘show’ felt very amateurish to me. This combined with the hype created on social media beforehand didn’t help. 
Like I said, I’ll probably finally give in and buy a non-rebuilt W1, so even if there wasnt a lot, it was OK for me. And I’m quite sure there’s a lot more coming in the future. Just the presenting of yesterday was not what I came to expect the last half year or so. 

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed it (yesterday’s live stream) & the only (minor) change I would make for the future would simply be to split it.

Pre-record the announcement/descriptions of new products (either voice-over or designer presented) shots of the samples & CADs with product numbers/running numbers displayed on-screen as they are spoken.

Then the live Q&A presented exactly as it was. 😀

Edited by LTSR_NSE

I have two W1s, one from when they first came out and one from the second batch with changed smoke deflectors. I don't know if I got a good first one and I must admit I haven't noticed much difference between the two. On both I still have issues with the bogie lifting the front wheels when going slow. I will pass on the smoke fitted one, they only made of of these in reality, so you can only model one. I agree about the hype I was expecting something earth shattering, which it wasn't by no stretch of imagination.