How many DCC controllers do I need - (Was Steam generator 'oil')

Ian-1301567

It's the way the Hornby ones are constructed, (not sure in what way), but apparently they do work if you pause mid way through to allow the CDU to re-charge. I use the Peco type and they work exceedingly well.

With the Peco type do you still have to make sure that the lever is positioned in the middle to give the CDU time to recharge or are they designed differently from the Hornby ones?. It's just getting your head around this ON-OFF-ON scenario as to how important this is?. Is it to stop the motor points burning out & giving time for the CDU to re-energise?. It's just levers seem a lot less clonky than the ON-OFF-ON Switches.

1 hour ago, Ian-1301567 said:

I noticed that Brian mentioned that the RL044 Hornby Lever was not to be used with a CDU but yet a Peco PL22 seemed to be OK. Is there a reason for this?

See Brian Lamberts site where he explains it - link to his site in the General section sticky posts

1 hour ago, Ian-1301567 said:

With the Peco type do you still have to make sure that the lever is positioned in the middle to give the CDU time to recharge or are they designed differently from the Hornby ones?. It's just getting your head around this ON-OFF-ON scenario as to how important this is?. Is it to stop the motor points burning out & giving time for the CDU to re-energise?. It's just levers seem a lot less clonky than the ON-OFF-ON Switches.

No you don't have to mess about with the Peco ones, they just work. The passing contact thing, or ON-OFF-ON is just so that the solenoids just get a quick thump of energy from the CDU to reduce the chance of them burning out

Posted (edited)

I'll stress again: for solenoid point motor levers or toggle switches you must use momentary SPDT types labelled/described as (ON)-OFF-(ON)   not just ON-OFF-ON. Big difference in how they work!   
If in doubt use push buttons on your panel - I actually prefer them and only use momentary toggles to save space if the panel is very busy 🙂
IMG_0195.thumb.JPG.9be9b4ba578a170473790c061fb01b89.JPG

IMG_6065.thumb.JPG.685d397c88b8c0897af665bcdad8de13.JPG

Edited by ntpntpntp