HM DCC App Orientation

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across the same issue as me where the app will reload every time it attempts to switch from Landscape to Portrait, now normally my tablet will be on a stand but if I take it off to walk down to the other end of the layout and it moves slightly in my hand it will load the HM DCC splash page again and then do the same when moving back.

Is this a common problem or maybe just my specific tablet? being the Lenovo Tab M11

Thanks
Russ

In-app setting called “Inactivity Control”

Does your tablet have an orientation lock function? - might be worth enabling it when using the HM|DCC app.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Added info

I also have the Lenovo M11 - no orientation issues or crashes on mine on the latest version of the app. Must be something in your tablet settings. I presume you have the latest app version?

Posted (edited)

Hi Steve

Yeh got the latest version the other day so I could add images into app for the first time.

Hummmm not sure what tablet setting would cause the app to re-load every time its orientated....?

Edited by CaNNoN_1981

It is just a thought but it is an Android device. When I was using my Doogie pad, I found the App ran incredibly slow. When you change the orientation the screen has to get redrawn, all the testers seem to have Ipads which are much faster, so perhaps it is just that the redraw just takes a long time on your device.

The testers do not all have iPads. In fact, as I have already said, I have exactly the same device as the OP and cannot duplicate the reported fault.

Cannon1981 - while we are waiting for a more detailed response from the project team, the standard advice that has been in place from day 1 is to turn off all other apps and turn on all permissions on the tablet to eliminate the variables that they may cause.

You said you now have the latest version of the app but did this orientation issue exist before the update or is it a new phenomenon?

Yes, finally powered up my Android pad and yes it works ok on that. We all know there doesn't seem to be an issue with phones, most of us have been using them to program the HM7000 for the past year but there does seem to be some weird effects when using a cheap Android pad, which I imagine most of us are.

Hi all,

Yeh sorry it was also an issue before the latest update, I basically bought the Lenovo Tab M11 (Android) for use of the HM 7000 app, its basically the only app installed on the device.

And I wouldn't necessarily class it a cheap android pad (£200 retail) I know that's not mega expensive but its not like its one of those none branded ones you can find that are sub £100....

The app is set to allow all permissions within the android main settings too.

Cannon, starting to run out of ideas. My M11 is also solely used for HM7K so struggling to determine where the issue is.

It is known that the app can slow with too many locos set to 'active' - how many do you have set up on yours?

Have you seen the other recent posts on here about the recommended permission settings? Might be worth working through them.

Apologies if you have already said, but what are you auto-rotate settings switched to?

Hi Steve

I have 20 active loco's although I don't know what number is considered too many?

I dont actually struggle with any permissions within the app itself once its loaded (and still) etc, would it even be a permission setting that would cause the app to reload on an orientation change?

My device is set to auto-rotate within the android settings itself, but the other few apps I do have installed simply change the view (as expected), they don't reload the application from scratch.

I might just cut my loses and turn off auto rota so the tab is perm set in a landscape orientation, its not a massive biggy, was just seeing if anyone else is affected by it.

How mad is it though that we have the same Tab and it doesn't do it on yours.... my tab spec below:

• System update: 15.1.138
  • Model: TB330FU
  • CPU: MediaTek Helio G88
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Software ver: Lenovo ZUI 15.1.138
  • Android Version: 13

Much difference to yours?

Thanks

CaNNoN

A simple way to test the numbers of locos overload scenario is to deactivate all but a couple in the engine shed, then refresh the app by restarting it.

It may be permissions alterations are only effective after a tablet restart. I don't know, just clutching at straws.

I do know that Android permissions can be elusive and when you think you have them all, another pops up.

Cannon, mine updated last week to ZUI 16.0.030 stable version and Android 14. Apart from that it's identical.

Maybe check for operating system updates and reduce the 'load' as Rob suggests.

As to the optimal number of active locos, I found a slowing of performance once into double figures.

3 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

Cannon, mine updated last week to ZUI 16.0.030 stable version and Android 14. Apart from that it's identical.

Maybe check for operating system updates and reduce the 'load' as Rob suggests.

As to the optimal number of active locos, I found a slowing of performance once into double figures.

Are android releases staggered, just checked for updates on mine and it says 15.1.138 is the latest version???

No idea.

But go to the tablet settings page, then the About tablet page. At the top there is a check for updates option. It may prompt a change.

It might be the latest version it will allow you to have. Android tablets tend to allow you one update from new and that's your lot. I thought I was going to eat those words when I just checked and it reported update ready to install. However, it was only an update of the existing version.

I know it doesn't solve your problem but I have an M10 HD, the previous model to yours running Android 11 and have experienced no problems with the App.

Edited by Brew Man

Lenovo say that they "guarantee two O/S updates". They also publish an 'update matrix' that shows the M11 being supplied with Android 13 with the update to v14 scheduled for 30/6/24. Maybe a date for them to complete the rollout?

Built in obsolescence - may become factor further down the line as all apps are updated for new O/S as they appear. Eventually they leave older devices behind. (Apple are no different).

The transfer of locos etc to new devices is a real pain if you have an extensive collection. iPads will transfer all data when setting up a new device but that's not necessarily the case for Android. I found that out the hard way.

Hoping Hornby will develop a bulk data transfer system for this before it becomes an issue.

Back to Cannon, can't see why you shouldn't get v14 based on the above.

6 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

Lenovo say that they "guarantee two O/S updates". They also publish an 'update matrix' that shows the M11 being supplied with Android 13 with the update to v14 scheduled for 30/6/24. Maybe a date for them to complete the rollout?

Built in obsolescence - may become factor further down the line as all apps are updated for new O/S as they appear. Eventually they leave older devices behind. (Apple are no different).

Not so 'eventually' in my case. Mine came with an update route from 10 to 11 which I did straight away. Then, no further updates.

Yeh no Android 14 update available for me at the moment unfortunately, the update page just says I have the latest version. Hopefully by the 30/06/24 perhaps?

And I've taken the number of active Loco's down to 1 from 20 and the issue is still present.

Think I'm just going to lock the orientation into portrait if I'm honest, its no big deal.

Thanks all for showing an interest in my issue though, it is a strange one to say the least.

Regards

CaNNoN.

• Like 1