After a Starter Set

Eggbert

Hi All

After some advice, I have recently come to the hobby after getting brought the Easterner set.

My question is should I expand with the track packs or try and come up with my own layout. I have previous modelling experience but not in railways and wondering whether to stick with predefined layout as not to walk before I can run.

Cheers 

Great to have new blood join! And congrats on the Easterner - an excellent starter. Are you wanting round and round (tail chaser), shunting, or a bit of both?

10 minutes ago, GMD said:

Great to have new blood join! And congrats on the Easterner - an excellent starter. Are you wanting round and round (tail chaser), shunting, or a bit of both?

A bit of both from what I have been looking at so far bur want to make achievable for a first layout.

Stick to a basic oval with a siding or two to get the hang of things, but maybe have a point leading off a short end - onto which you can then add a shunting or industrial section when you've found your feet. If that makes sense!

• Like 1

Hi Eggbert,

welcome to the forum and TT120.

I am by no means an experienced modeler and have been enticed back into the hobby by TT120 and effectively starting from scratch.

I started building baseboards and collecting things without really knowing or understanding what I wanted to do or have in place.  The only thing that i knew i wanted, was to be able to run trains with more that the coaches I had as a small boy.

Perhaps start out small using the track packs until you work out what you want to do and use the build as a stepping stone.  You will find so much good information and guidance here that you are bound to change your mind on what you want to do.  🙂 

• Like 3

The track packs are a great way to get started, and as long as you don't fix them down then you can experiment with different layout designs and play around with things until you find what you want for your railway. Then once you're happy with how it operates you can glue/pin tracks and do all the scenic stuff. Even then, you can alter everything with a bit of patience and care. The one lesson I've learned in building my layout is that nothing is permanent, everything can be changed and rebuilt if you want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMD said:

Stick to a basic oval with a siding or two to get the hang of things, but maybe have a point leading off a short end - onto which you can then add a shunting or industrial section when you've found your feet. If that makes sense!

That makes sense gives the option to some back and add a module on as I get more experience.

• Like 1

I’m going to mix it up a bit. Track packs and track mats are a bit dull. Have a look at the various possibilities with the space you have. The Track Plan Book thread has evolved and is a great source of different plans, all creative and different. Buying packs can be cost effective but make sure you are not buying pieces you won’t need. 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the advice and being so welcoming. I need to remember this is marathon not a sprint. I am sure I will be back with more questions in time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Skelton Junction said:

The track packs represent good value for money and you know the track layout will function and have usability. I’d start there. 

Hi @Eggbert and welcome to the addictive world of TT120. I’m a new starter like yourself and am also building on a 6x4 board, which is on order from the supplier. I had lots of ideas, and spent a lot of time considering my plans. In the end though I have decided to go with the layout as per the Easterner set box using the oval and pack 1 included in the set, then adding packs 2-5. 

It seems this will easily fit onto a 6x4 board and allow room for lots of scenery. Equally I have the HST set on pre-order (as it was better value than buying the HST train set and coaches separately) and this will provide me with some spare track, and I may have room to utilise this in some way as a fiddle yard or more sidings

My deciding factor was that it will, as @Skelton Junction said, function and have usability. Once it is finished (I know, they never are) then on a second attempt I might try something more complex and with layers. 

Packs 2 and 3 are out of stock everywhere so I purchased the contents individually, which I know is more expensive but I couldn’t wait!

2 hours ago, Eggbert said:

Thanks for all the advice and being so welcoming. I need to remember this is marathon not a sprint. I am sure I will be back with more questions in time.

I downloaded track planning software and spent many hours messing with different designs. It allows you to experiment and swap and change as much as you like. It will then generate a list of part numbers and quantity you need. If you edit the parts to reflect the costs it will give you a total too.

9 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

I downloaded track planning software and spent many hours messing with different designs. It allows you to experiment and swap and change as much as you like. It will then generate a list of part numbers and quantity you need. If you edit the parts to reflect the costs it will give you a total too.

Any specific one that you would recommend.

27 minutes ago, ukpetey said:

Hi @Eggbert and welcome to the addictive world of TT120. I’m a new starter like yourself and am also building on a 6x4 board, which is on order from the supplier. I had lots of ideas, and spent a lot of time considering my plans. In the end though I have decided to go with the layout as per the Easterner set box using the oval and pack 1 included in the set, then adding packs 2-5. 

It seems this will easily fit onto a 6x4 board and allow room for lots of scenery. Equally I have the HST set on pre-order (as it was better value than buying the HST train set and coaches separately) and this will provide me with some spare track, and I may have room to utilise this in some way as a fiddle yard or more sidings

My deciding factor was that it will, as @Skelton Junction said, function and have usability. Once it is finished (I know, they never are) then on a second attempt I might try something more complex and with layers. 

Packs 2 and 3 are out of stock everywhere so I purchased the contents individually, which I know is more expensive but I couldn’t wait!

That was my think initially but with the track packs being unavailable if am going to buy lots of seperate track then maybe I should go for a different layout. On the 6 by 4 board I also thought about increasing the length of the straights. I will have to lay out the track and see how the space works.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eggbert said:

Any specific one that you would recommend.

Depends in part if you're on Windows or Mac. I'm on a Mac and use RailModeller Express (free version allows up to 50 track pieces). There's a very basic how-to here if thats of any help. 

Those on windows often use Scarm I think but others will know better than I do.  Be warned - its great fun to have limitless track to play around with on these things...!

• Like 1

Anyrail for the PC, similar to GMD's software of choice there is a free version with a 50piece limit... I cheat this a little by using Flexi track for straights and curves to the set track radius and combined lengths

🤫

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The alternative is to have the basic track from a set and buy a couple of points, some straights and different radius curves and have a play about. I was fortunate to have access to lots of Hornby 3 rail track as a kid and physical connection to track geometry gives a great understanding to how it works, even in different scales. I have never designed a layout on anything other a piece of paper with a pencil. I have done many plans and there a few kicking about in TT:120 now 😁 

The biggest part is deciding what basic thing you would like. Take inspiration from others if you are not sure at first, and develop from there. The biggest mistake most people make is going too complex or trying to put too much in the space available. Remember you don’t have to fix anything down to get it working, you might not have all the bells and whistles but running a layout is best way to find what you like and what doesn’t work 😁

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eggbert said:

Hi All

After some advice, I have recently come to the hobby after getting brought the Easterner set.

My question is should I expand with the track packs or try and come up with my own layout. I have previous modelling experience but not in railways and wondering whether to stick with predefined layout as not to walk before I can run.

Cheers 

Speaking as someone who has built numerous layouts over the years and is currently deep into a TT:120 layout (Woodburn, which you'll find on here). My advice, for what it's worth, would be to not plan for the layout you want right now, but plan for the layout you want in the future. 

How are you supposed to know what layout you'll want in the future? I'll give an example. You have the Easterner set (good choice). So you may want a layout to run that on. That would be an oval with maybe a siding or two -but it isn't going to stop at just your A4 with some coaches. This isn't a one-shot hobby. You'll add more locomotives, more coaches and probably some freight too. So now the oval for the Easterner, looks a bit cramped. Is it likely that you'll end up with a number of full trains? Then you need to consider leaving one side of the plan for a fiddle yard. It's best to realise you need a fiddle yard a long time before you finish laying track (don't ask me how I know...). Another consideration is using point motors. Only an idiot builds all the boards and lays the track without drilling the holes for all point motors (don't ask me how I know...). 

Essentially, quantify what your dream layout is, if money and stock availability wasn't a factor and then plan that. Once you've got that idea, then you can start with the obligatory compromises. It's those compromises that stop me building Kings Cross to Peterborough. Woodburn will have to suffice.

Good luck and welcome to the TT family.

Best

Dan

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eggbert said:

Hi All

Cheers 

I know the feeling. Despite having built a OO layout for my nephew years ago I have been working out what to do for myself and having got the Easterner it inspired me to make something for myself.  The attached plan is what i have come up with and am collecting the parts for at the moment.

140cmx100cm Double Track 'train set' Layout design with engine shed.png

• Like 3

Have a look at the TT120 track plan book thread, and individual "my layout" threads.

Then think about what you want the layout to do, is it for shunting, in and out of sidings etc, or is it for mainline passenger thundering around a track, and what to do for scenery. 

Also consider the layout and scenery in relation to where the board sits, ie against a wall or access all round.

Mine is 6x2.5 ft. Had I had 6x4 ft I would have been tempted to an outer loop in rad 4 and an inner folded loop in rad 2 & 3 to have a visually interesting tailchaser.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Have a look at the TT120 track plan book thread, and individual "my layout" threads.

Then think about what you want the layout to do, is it for shunting, in and out of sidings etc, or is it for mainline passenger thundering around a track, and what to do for scenery. 

Also consider the layout and scenery in relation to where the board sits, ie against a wall or access all round.

Mine is 6x2.5 ft. Had I had 6x4 ft I would have been tempted to an outer loop in rad 4 and an inner folded loop in rad 2 & 3 to have a visually interesting tailchaser.

Mean to say inner folded figure of 8.

Also be aware of the length of sidings required to accomodate a train.

The middle siding next to the train is just long enough for a steam engine plus 3 coaches, 750mm from points to buffers.

20240710_104335.thumb.jpg.b70e972bbf5b931565973e950a839227.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Also be aware of the length of sidings required to accomodate a train.

The middle siding next to the train is just long enough for a steam engine plus 3 coaches, 750mm from points to buffers.

20240710_104335.thumb.jpg.b70e972bbf5b931565973e950a839227.jpg

Hi Paul,  where did you get the houses from?