Matching correct Loco with carriages?

Really it doesn't matter as freight trains can comprise wagons from all over many different regions. Just choose a loco that is designed as a freight and not a passenger loco.

The red 'shunter's truck' carrying a car was sold as a free-standing item R005, the light green S C lwb mineral wagon was R730 and the white Esso tanker was R096.  Not quite enough of the Shell tanker is visible to give a positive identification.  Other than the car-carrying wagon, the others were probably also used in many sets over the 15 or so years they were in production as was the BR brake van which was probably more prolific over an even longer life.  Unless someone happens to have a set that contains them all, you have something of a needle in a haystack task in front of you.  If you have the styrene trays for any sets, try to match the wagon shapes with the cut-outs.

Posted (edited)

It seems to be The Midnight Freight R674 with a Diesel loco. There were several iterations mostly in the 1980s. All had 8 wagons but different liveries. Class 58 Diesel Freight Locomotive?

$_86.jpg

Edited by Francis-Dublin

The Shell tanker is a TTA, it was included in many different sets over many years, plus was also available in so many different liveries individually. I have 8 different ones on my Inglenook shunting puzzle, no troubles getting them all different.

The metal diesel is presumably a 2-rail Hornby Dublo model?  Looks like it has a broken Hornby Dublo coupling - a clearer photo of the front might confirm that.  What's the coupling at the other end like?

On 28/07/2024 at 20:19, Simmo009 said:

The Shell tanker is a TTA, it was included in many different sets over many years, plus was also available in so many different liveries individually. I have 8 different ones on my Inglenook shunting puzzle, no troubles getting them all different.

TTA? 

On 27/07/2024 at 01:06, Francis-Dublin said:

It seems to be The Midnight Freight R674 with a Diesel loco. There were several iterations mostly in the 1980s. All had 8 wagons but different liveries. Class 58 Diesel Freight Locomotive?

$_86.jpg

I don't seem to have a diesel loco for this.

The British Rail TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) scheme was introduced in the 1970s and covered all rail vehicles.  The first letter allocated to a vehicle denotes its class - in the case of a TTA tank wagon the first T signifies it is privately-owned.  The second T gives greater detail and the A denotes it is fitted with air-operated brakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I think 8F loco 8310 was released only as a free-standing item, R30281, as were the two GUV vans and possibly the Mk1 coaches.

It is possible that the 1st class coach M13070 is a Bachmann product, 39-151B.

Edited by Going Spare
Additional information