Service sheet finder ?

One would expect, one could enter a loco part number on the Hornby service sheet page, and it would link you to the correct one.

This appears not to be the case, is there a third party tool for this, or is it a case of trawling every sheet looking for the variant of the model you want to find ?

If, by loco part number, you mean the replacement component part number, there is no comprehensive search function on Hornby's website in view of the less than full listing of all parts they hold.

If you mean the loco catalogue R number, then there is a restricted search function - restricted by many products not having been added to the database over the last few years and not all service sheets being visible.

On Lendons of Cardiff's website, you can find Hornby's master spare part listing which shows whether a particular component is available from them (as at the time of publishing the list, which is not very frequently), together with an almost complete listing of all Tri-ang and Hornby service sheets including a number not included on Hornby's own site.

New Modellers Shop also has a listing of all service sheets issued for China-made product (sheets 200 upwards) which includes a few very recently semi-officially released sheets that Lendons do not have and many more than Hornby themselves offer.

AC Models' site is also worth checking, as is Peters Spares' for older parts from Margate and early China production. 

Edited by Going Spare
  • Thanks 1

At one time some of the service sheets on site were made interactive and picking a hyperlinked part number would take you to the part for sale, however that fell by the wayside and now we are back to square one trying to catch up on issue of service sheets. Although the master plan is for the site AI to pull up every instance of a search term, including where appropriate the service sheet, I fear that is a long way off yet.

I use the ones in the "New Modellers" website. I did try the Hornby system but it is not so easy to use. It is much easier to scan a list to find the relevant one. The big issue with "Search Engines" is they need a near match to work. Probably a bit like why my Sat Nav managed to keep driving in a circle around a junction in York last week.

22 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I use the ones in the "New Modellers" website. I did try the Hornby system but it is not so easy to use. It is much easier to scan a list to find the relevant one. The big issue with "Search Engines" is they need a near match to work. Probably a bit like why my Sat Nav managed to keep driving in a circle around a junction in York last week.

If it was a Ford sat-nav Colin you can blame yourself in an earlier life.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

If it was a Ford sat-nav Colin you can blame yourself in an earlier life.

I know, but from what I heard from the Service Guys it is just a rebadged major brand. Just because I worked for them, doesn't mean everything is wonderful, the front end on the Sync is dreadful. They changed the Supplier after my vehicle was designed.

PS I never worked on that system.

As to the search engine perhaps Hornby would be better adopting the New Modellers Approach with possibly a "pop up" that identifies models when you select the right hand mouse button over the relevant Service Sheet.

The Hornby web site is being revamped as reported by others on here somewhere and brought in house, so maybe this more interactive AI will break cover sooner rather than later.

My built in sat-nav count find its way out home if sat on the drive. It is dire, apart from recalculating a route if you ignore the commanded direction. It will however try to take you back to that same diversion point for many many miles before it gives up. Quicker to bin the current route and reload the destination again.

Regarding the original question and the proposed administrative changes to the website, these are all well and good but my information is that the product support section and service sheet/spare parts provision has been allowed to get in to such a dilapidated state that any future improvements are likely to take in only very recent developments and those going forward.  Thus, there will almost certainly be a Grand Canyon-like chasm regarding information/documentation for the past few years - the inability (or definite decision not to commit resources) to keep on top of developments as they occurred has now meant that 'catch-up' and the correction of information that is known to be wrong is but a dream.   I would obviously be very happy for this to be proven wrong in the long term, but I have my doubts. 

• Like 1

I do struggle with this issue, Lendon of Cardiff have extensive PDF format service sheet of Hornby but they are based on name instead of Catalogue Number starting with R. For example I was looking for particular service sheet of Hornby King Class with TTS sound R3384TTS and still have not found as yet, closest thing I have found is HSS 416 which shows to have TTS decoder space in Tender.

Maybe Hornby can allow me to have access to all their service sheet and maintenance sheet or send me, so I can check and upload on Hornby Forum (with separate section just for that, I am happy to volunteer).

16 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Thanks guys, I will use the NewModellersShop website in future, still no R number to service sheet search but it is a lot easier to find things I feel !

The way I check or try to find is

I will go on to New Modellershop look for service sheet section, for example,

(https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares/hornby_spares_service_sheets.htm) after that I will use search command using my computer, if it is window computer than Ctrl and F or for MAC command and F, (if you are using mobile or tablet each web browser usually have option on top right corner with three dots ( I am using Firefox on all my devices) and click on FIND in PAGE), which will open a small search box on web page, in there I will try R number, if that wont come up with anything then I will try the Loco name which will give me few options using up or down arrow next to search box, I will try to find the closest one to my Loco.

7 minutes ago, Deem said:

The way I check or try to find is

I will go on to New Modellershop look for service sheet section, for example,

(https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares/hornby_spares_service_sheets.htm) after that I will use search command using my computer, if it is window computer than Ctrl and F or for MAC command and F, (if you are using mobile or tablet each web browser usually have option on top right corner with three dots ( I am using Firefox on all my devices) and click on FIND in PAGE), which will open a small search box on web page, in there I will try R number, if that wont come up with anything then I will try the Loco name which will give me few options using up or down arrow next to search box, I will try to find the closest one to my Loco.

That is the way I do it. I will add though in some cases Hornby will renumber lets say the valve gear or wheels and often the later part will fit. I am sure that lots of time the renumbered part is actually the old one just renumbered. They did that recently with X6113.

Edited by ColinB

@Deem You won't be able to gain access to any more service sheets than those already published by Lendons, New Modellers Shop and Hornby themselves - they either do not exist or Hornby are not in a position to make them available.  We are all having to employ work-arounds of the type you mention for the King and use a certain amount of intuition. 

23 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

@Deem You won't be able to gain access to any more service sheets than those already published by Lendons, New Modellers Shop and Hornby themselves - they either do not exist or Hornby are not in a position to make them available.  We are all having to employ work-arounds of the type you mention for the King and use a certain amount of intuition. 

@Going Spare Fair point. But wouldn't it make sense to have everything in one place I.E. a particular section in forum for just for service sheet and maintenance sheets what they have in stock and Hornby is not in position to make them available. So a volunteer like myself can do in my own time free of charge for Hornby only because I love this hobby.

Trying to match loco Rxxxx numbers to service sheets was an exercise I carried out about a year ago and presented my findings to Hornby: there were then around 700 loco's that did not get mentioned on any published service sheet across the last 20 years and, without having all loco's physically available to examine in detail, it was impossible to determine with confidence whether a particular service sheet covered any given loco, there having been so many developments/innovations/specification changes in recent years.

A laudable offer, but, I fear, an impossible task for anyone not employed by Hornby.   

I've noticed that the Hornby Railways Collectors Guide   hornbyguide.com   as mentioned above by @96RAF has service sheets in some cases but I don't know how comprehensive it is?  I've used it a couple of times.   Is that a resource where people can upload sheets they have which aren't already present? 

For the European N gauge brands I focus on, there are 3rd party web sites which have collected service sheet info by model number going right back to 1960s models even if it's just a scan of the original ancient paper sheet. These are really useful and I refer to them frequently.    In German they have an informal term "Waschzettel", literally "laundry list" but taken to mean "blurb" 🙂   

17 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

I've noticed that the Hornby Railways Collectors Guide   hornbyguide.com   as mentioned above by @96RAF has service sheets in some cases but I don't know how comprehensive it is?  I've used it a couple of times.   Is that a resource where people can upload sheets they have which aren't already present?

Hornby guide only contains information up to 2011 (when the creators stopped adding to it.)  There is no facility for 3rd parties to add to it.

• Sad 1

@Going Spare Wow, you spent a lot of time then sorting these out. As for your suggestion without having all loco's physically available to examine in detail, it was impossible to determine with confidence whether a particular service sheet covered any given loco" that task is near to impossible and I respect your point. However each service sheet have numbers of Rxxxx numbers in the sheet which it does cover, for now we will have some sheets available based on the Rxxxx numbers in the sheet. Better to have those or not to have any or some, just an thought.