P2 POW runawaying.

Aussie Fred

Just following instructions in Elite manual page 41. This is the first time I mucked around with CVs. How do you do a "reset" and does a reset mean it goes back to factory settings OR wipes it clean and one has to reload everything? I notice the instructions with the loco have a ** against CV8 reset, but doesn't explain what ** means - I always worry about those things when I am on the learning curve. I won't do anything more until I get more advice.

6 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

Just following instructions in Elite manual page 41. This is the first time I mucked around with CVs. How do you do a "reset" and does a reset mean it goes back to factory settings OR wipes it clean and one has to reload everything? I notice the instructions with the loco have a ** against CV8 reset, but doesn't explain what ** means - I always worry about those things when I am on the learning curve. I won't do anything more until I get more advice.

To reset the decoder you write value 8 to CV8. This sets the decoder back to factory defaults but does not wipe any data. Your existing sound profile should stay as is. Note that although CV is read only the Reset is a special write case. The ** is because various decoders use various values to reset.

You say you haven't 'played' with the app yet. Try it as it has a really user friendly way of configuring CVs and it can all be done on the main track in seconds.

There is another reset and that is an Elite unit reset and you do this from the menus. This is handy if the Elite has been acting awry and needs its ducks lining up again.

I have loaded the app onto my spare Samsung A& and will try it out in a few days, after my step-son has left to go back to America. As a bye, it was embarrassing when he and grandson were down staying with us and the that loco on the "up" mainline wouldn't work, The Deltic on the "down" mainlike derailed and I had my 419/MLV and my 121/DMU running at the same time on the mountain track, and while I was concentrating on the Deltic derail, the 419 ran up the back of the 121 and derailed. 9 year old grandson went "hrmfff" and went back inside to watch TV.

I have contacted my supplier here in Aussie land and they have requested that I send my POW back to them for assessment. As they have no others in stock, I will get a refund if they can't fix it or get it fixed .

On 10/08/2024 at 07:32, Paul-380474 said:

Read it. Potentially several snubbers then.

So I put two snubbers out in places covering the parts of the oval circuit where engine hesitation is most evident. I then ran a small 0-6-0 shunter which was notoriously stop/go (so much so that I considered de-commissioning it). WOW! No hesitation, no stop/go. It galloped around the track like a whippet after a hare. Even at slow speed (hard for a hornby 0-6-0 with limited track footprint and pickups) it ran as smooth as silk.

What a wonderful transformation from such a simple and cheap product. (which is also super simple to fit).

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Paul 

• Thanks 1