My Local Shop Closing Down

For any member who may be interested in the fact that my local shop is having a closing down sale they are selling Hornby and Bachmann locos, coaches, wagons and everything thing else half price plus you buy one loco at half price and get one free. They don’t do on line or post out so you have to visit the shop. I have just been and believe me I have filled my boots. This is not a wind up it is a genuine offer that only started today. The shop is A Oakes of Langley Google the full address but be quick word will get around. Regards Stu.

• Like 1

Another one bites the dust, a nice guy in the trade as well.  It will be filled with the usual ebay scalpers trying to get something for nothing. Get in there, before the online scalpers close in.  It seems the only time as a small retailer you make money selling in this hobby, is when you are giving something away.

Edited by The son of Triangman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The son of Triangman said:

It seems the only time as a small retailer you make money selling in this hobby, is when you are giving something away.

Which, technically, does not make you any money. Thus closing down.

The neverending sales are not good for the overall businness.

I have been using this shop for the last 40 years or so and believe me the owner has made a good living from it. I have noticed for the last 4 or 5 years sales of model railways have fallen drastically due to rising prices which is the main reason hardly any youngsters are taking up this hobby. The main reason the shop is closing is because the owner is suffering from poor health and has decided to sell up!!

• Like 1

That appears to be a sensible reason for closing the shop. A problem many model shops have nowadays is that passing trade is limited to weekends - probably Saturdays only. I know it was some years ago, but many will remember Model Zone. We had one in our shopping centre, a modern fitted out shop, with lots of model railway goods available. On a Saturday there were usually four staff and the shop was packed with customers - and buying. However, go in mid-week, and there was one member of staff, and usually no customers. In Model Zones case, they had shops all over the country, and if all suffered the same customer trade as Basingstoke, with rent due on quarter day for forty seven shops, it's not surprising they shut down. I imagine a few of the "older" shop, the proprietor may own the freehold

On 15/08/2024 at 16:23, Stubaggieboy said:

For any member who may be interested in the fact that my local shop is having a closing down sale they are selling Hornby and Bachmann locos, coaches, wagons and everything thing else half price plus you buy one loco at half price and get one free. They don’t do on line or post out so you have to visit the shop. I have just been and believe me I have filled my boots. This is not a wind up it is a genuine offer that only started today. The shop is A Oakes of Langley Google the full address but be quick word will get around. Regards Stu.

Hi Yes I can confirm A.Oakes is closing down and they have a sale of model trains been in today and it was very busy a lot of stock already sold they have offers on locos wagons and carriages plus track basically everything in there is for sale most locos there is 20%off apart from brand new stock I have been there and shopped for 15 years and talking to one of the assistants said that Mr Oakes is very poorly and can't even get into the shop always found him very fair and always very helpful as are all the assistants in the shop are very helpful if your looking dmfor something you need to get down there sharpish as stock is going rapidly very sad to see a store that has been trading for over 100 years going to the wall possibly closing down sometime in September or when all stock are gone

As I stated in my original post the offer was any Hornby/Bachmann loco half price and get one free. I was in there last Saturday and I actually had to queue to get in. It’s a pity that these people didn’t support the shop over the last few years then it might have been sold as a going concern as I previously stated I have been supporting this shop for the last forty plus years and going in there nearly every Saturday for the last fifteen years most of my nine hundred plus fleet were purchased from there over the years and recently all my o gauge collection also from there. Under normal conditions all Hornby and Bachmann were discounted at 15% and any loco that had been on the shelf for more than 3 years had another hefty discount. A. Oakes was a very pleasant place to visit with a very knowledgeable lady in charge of the model department by the name of Katie who I now class as a good friend and a couple of fellow enthusiasts whom I used to chat to most Saturdays. I am seriously going to miss that place but as my wife stated all good things must come to an end. Regards Stu.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder on here that A.Oakes will shut for good on Saturday 7th September 2024.I popped in today to see Katie who has been tasked with clearing the model railway section out.Can I just say what a fantastic job you have done Katie at the store and it's very sad to see you leaving with redundancy you and the other staff in the shop have been fantastic and I wish you all the best in your new job in the future where ever that maybe will be getting a fantastic worker if anyone wants to pop in to say your goodbyes then you need to go before next Saturday also there is not a lot left instore but it maybe worth going as they still have track and accessories still available.

• Like 1

Sadly, my favourite shop, Waltons, is closing at the end of the year after 41 years as a model shop. 

I'm sure the owner Keith deserves his retirement. 

It seems there isn't any interest in buying high street model shops these days. 

3 hours ago, LesXRN said:

It seems there isn't any interest in buying high street model shops these days. 

The return on investment is miserable.  The competition is the internet.  This means the shop becomes the showroom, while the client purchases elsewhere.  

At best, the purchase of a model shop means you have purchased a low paying job, wedded to a mountain of debt.

Bee

Unfortunately it’s not just model shops. Independent music shops for one, a person goes in, tries a guitar or other instrument they like, goes and gets one discounted off the internet which hasn’t been set up properly, takes it to the original shop where they expect a full set up for free and then blame the shop for charging. Independent chemists are also going the same way, they apparently actually lose money on dishing out prescriptions now and rely on the footfall in the shop selling other goods to pay the wages. If we are honest, we all go where the best deal is but in the long term it might not actually be the best choice. 

It use to annoy me that some customers would cross the border to England for a couple of hundred quid on a £30k purchase of a new car and then bring it back to us with any faults and some even had the temerity to demand to be spoken to in cymraeg despite having done diddly squat to help our continued existence; I’m 100% certain the dealerships across 'Offa's-dyke' didn’t speak welsh. Consumer loyalty and supposed desire to buy locally is as deep as a pocket is and no thought given to their business filtering down through the local economy. 

Mod note - amended slightly to disguise a naughty word.

Edited by 96RAF

We are fortunate to have a few model-related businesses left in Derbyshire but I sympathise with the overall sentiment. In mitigation, some of the online businesses provide an excellent service to a wider customer base than they would have had direct access to in the past. By direct access I mean the ability to post videos and hold online discussions. We remain plagued by the downright negative and destructive elements, but if you can filter those out (I find it difficult!) it is not all bad.

P.S. we still have a music shop in Derby. I was suitably surprised and bought a ukulele. 😀

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dBerriff said:

We are fortunate to have a few model-related businesses left in Derbyshire but I sympathise with the overall sentiment. In mitigation, some of the online businesses provide an excellent service to a wider customer base than they would have had direct access to in the past. By direct access I mean the ability to post videos and hold online discussions. We remain plagued by the downright negative and destructive elements, but if you can filter those out (I find it difficult!) it is not all bad.

P.S. we still have a music shop in Derby. I was suitably surprised and bought a ukulele. 😀

Hopefully a SpongeBob one! There seem to be quite a lot of Ukelele nights and clubs now. Great fun! The Vixen off the chase is/was a member of the Bolton Ukelele club along with a few people I know. I was at a local gig a couple of years ago when there was a band covering some heavy metal songs on Ukeleles. Music is music. 

On 02/09/2024 at 19:38, What About The Bee said:

The return on investment is miserable.  The competition is the internet.  This means the shop becomes the showroom, while the client purchases elsewhere.  

At best, the purchase of a model shop means you have purchased a low paying job, wedded to a mountain of debt.

Bee

That would be a good thing to do if you have just won the lottery but not for ordinary business people

My local shop (Engine Shed E11) was closed a good few years ago, but I still miss it, the owner had heaps of knowledge, and he was always willing to help where ever he can. All my track or few of my early Locomotive I bought from the shop. Since that shop has been closed, I have been looking for something where I can go and talk face to face about this hobby. So far my only communication about this hobby is this Forum, which is a great asset for me, but I do miss F2F conversation. That just had something special about, F2F conversation in my opinion, maybe limited knowledge compare to online, but I still prefer the old school ideology, going to shop, talking to a person and discussing whatever it is, either buying or seeking advice.

15 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

@DeemThe gentleman at your LMS did exactly what you should do.  Offer service that the internet cannot.  

Bee

Always happy to help however I can, either online or in person, that goes without saying it.

• Thanks 1

Deem, 

Oh no.  🙁  I made a complete mess of that.  Upon re-reading my words and what you wrote, I can see that I communicated very poorly.  My apologies.

I did not mean 'This is what Deem should do.

I did mean, 'This is what a retailer should do.'

I know you help, I've seen it and acknowledge it as a true statement.  Again, my apologies 

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

Deem, 

Oh no.  🙁  I made a complete mess of that.  Upon re-reading my words and what you wrote, I can see that I communicated very poorly.  My apologies.

I did not mean 'This is what Deem should do.

I did mean, 'This is what a retailer should do.'

I know you help, I've seen it and acknowledge it as a true statement.  Again, my apologies 

Bee

Not to worry, no apologies needed, we are human, by design we suppose to make mistakes, what makes us better is acknowledging our mistake and learning from them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1