Is this over kill for a DC layout? https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/the-cobalt-collection/cobalt-point-motors/cobalt-ip-digital/

Overkill in my opinion.

Is it a "mimic panel" you want, where the switches are on a plan of the track?  That's the style I prefer.   Make your own panel and use push buttons, momentary toggle switches, or even simple stud-and-probe to fire the points.  Use a CDU so they get a good but brief "thump".

Push buttons. This is actually my preferred method.
Khcontrolpanel.jpg.90821c2a284eccb2931409a3262382d8.jpg
IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.69d00cd95894bd5608f4fe95cdb437eb.JPG

Centre-off momentary toggle switches.  They take up less room than having 2 push buttons per point, but if you're also using toggle switches for track isolating sections and signals etc. it can become a forest of toggles with some momentary, some latching both ways and some simple on/off!   Hence the different colour of covers on the second photo.  Blue = points, green = signals, yellow and white = track sections.
IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.a5235d473064f22934d814d796f4a4c2.JPG
IMG_7509.thumb.JPG.f69ccb3319658f514d06c3629fe9d6ca.JPG

Stud-and probe.  You can't get much simpler than this, but when I had this style on a more complex layout back in the 80s I used to get the probe and the hand-held controller tangled up!
P1010035a.JPG.0bb62578b02159862b2266164f1c60a2.JPG

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Thanks 1

If it's not a mimic panel you want, the simple option is to create a bank of switches like an old signal box lever frame, like the Hornby or Peco point lever switches.  You need to number them on a plan to remember which lever is which point (which is why I prefer a mimic panel with the switch actually on the plan). 
Hornbypointlevers.jpg.d9ebd4174e01820cac3a5b433ea867f1.jpg

I'd still recommend a CDU however I think I've read on here that the Hornby momentary levers don't play well with CDUs (Peco's levers are ok).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Stud-and probe.  You can't get much simple than this, but when I had this style on a more complex layout back in the 80s I used to get the probe and the hand-held controller tangled up!

Phot 4. What are the the switches at the bottom left and bottom right?

14 minutes ago, Francis-Dublin said:

Phot 4. What are the the switches at the bottom left and bottom right?

The one on the left (the big slide switch with yellow bezel) is for my traverser.
IMG_7510.thumb.JPG.7a3ce8bdfa1db6333ee1d1e23d533cde.JPG

The round white one on the right is for my turntable.
IMG_7512.thumb.JPG.8ef1a2384638a9762433b46ad19a3853.JPG

• Thanks 2

I don't think it is overkill at all, it's just another way of operating your points. I have twenty five Cobalt iP Digital point motors on my layout, and they are wired for both digital and toggle switch operation. I can operate them all from my Hornby Elite or by toggle (on-off-on) switches on a panel. They do not require a CDU or accessory decoder, as all the point motors have a decoder built in. I programme the point motor number before installing them. I have also wired Dapol Semaphore signals to the point motors - point changes as the signal changes. 

Having recently had to remove my control panel, it will be replaced using Cobalt Alpha push-button switches. The Cobalts take their power from the track using droppers. On cross-overs you just programme two Cobalts with the same number.  There is nothing wrong with stud and probe - It's all down to personal choice.

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Thanks 1

Ermmm..... Francis,

The instructions show how to control the point motor, to get the points to move from diverging to non-diverging or visa versa. The Hornby diagram (2A, 2B) shows the connection to the point motor, as the point motor needs power to operate.  

The instructions do not to show how to power the track.  The track is wired separately.  

Further, the diagram is for DC operation, not DCC.  If I remember properly, you are investigating DCC.  If so, the diagrams Hornby present are not appropriate.

Bee

You can buy wire strippers that will pull apart the outer covering on wire - very useful when soldering droppers from your track to a bus cable. Usually available on ebay for about £10.

Edited by Bulleidboy

5 hours ago, Francis-Dublin said:

While I'm here, what is the best way to strip insulation from the centre of a bus,

The alternative to stripping is to use splicing connectors which pierce the insulation, for example some of the Wago connectors that people mention in discussions about wiring.  I admit I've never used them, I simply insert a distribution board into the bus every so often and wire the feeds to that.  Given my boards are modular and roughly 1m long, one distribution board mounted centrally on each board is fine.

@Brew Man  Depends which connectors you're using I guess?    They certainly offer IDC connectors which cut through the insulation themselves. 
Personally I still prefer soldering to a tag board, or using a distribution board with screw terminals.

On 25/08/2024 at 21:35, ntpntpntp said:

Overkill in my opinion.

Is it a "mimic panel" you want, where the switches are on a plan of the track?  That's the style I prefer.   Make your own panel and use push buttons, momentary toggle switches, or even simple stud-and-probe to fire the points.  Use a CDU so they get a good but brief "thump".

Push buttons. This is actually my preferred method.
Khcontrolpanel.jpg.90821c2a284eccb2931409a3262382d8.jpg
IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.69d00cd95894bd5608f4fe95cdb437eb.JPG

Centre-off momentary toggle switches.  They take up less room than having 2 push buttons per point, but if you're also using toggle switches for track isolating sections and signals etc. it can become a forest of toggles with some momentary, some latching both ways and some simple on/off!   Hence the different colour of covers on the second photo.  Blue = points, green = signals, yellow and white = track sections.
IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.a5235d473064f22934d814d796f4a4c2.JPG
IMG_7509.thumb.JPG.f69ccb3319658f514d06c3629fe9d6ca.JPG

Stud-and probe.  You can't get much simpler than this, but when I had this style on a more complex layout back in the 80s I used to get the probe and the hand-held controller tangled up!

How did you do the graphics?

2 hours ago, Francis-Dublin said:

How did you do the graphics?

Car pinstripe tape from Halfords, stuck directly to the aluminium panel top.  The lines on the panel in the top photo have been in place since 1995 and survived dozens of exhibitions 🙂 

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Car pinstripe tape from Halfords, stuck directly to the aluminium panel top.  The lines on the panel in the top photo have been in place since 1995 and survived dozens of exhibitions 🙂 

Go faster stripes!