Would you buy a used Elite?

Andy too

Keep the power and programming circuits completely separate. So: one pair of wires from Track to your main layout; one pair of wires from Prog to a length of rail as the programming track. 

Take care not to have stray strands of wire loose when pushing the wires into the Hornby spring terminals.

Edited by dBerriff

28 minutes ago, dBerriff said:

Keep the power and programming circuits completely separate. So: one pair of wires from Track to your main layout; one pair of wires from Prog to a length of rail as the programming track. 

Take care not to have stray strands of wire loose when pushing the wires into the Hornby spring terminals.

So you are saying I need 2 power tracks? This isn't explained very well in the manual or the video. As to your 2nd post, I'm not sure where they are supposed to fit but your post above is very helpful, so thank you. I'll give it a go later. It's highly likely I'll be back.

The connectors fit at any point in the wire that is convenient, but this is only a suggestion. If you repeatedly disconnect from the Elite spring terminals then that can fray the wires. The plugs and sockets are very robust.

And yes, 2 power tracks. A locomotive being programmed should be on its own bit of track otherwise you can mess up the settings on other DCC locomotives.

There is "programming on the main" but best to leave that to another time.

• Thanks 1

You could use the barrel connectors to manage with just one track. Connect 2 cables to the Elite as above and terminate them with male power plugs.

Add a female socket to the track connection. To programme: remove all locomotives from the track and connect up the Prog plug. Programme you locomotive(s).

Remove Prog plug; reconnect Track plug; resume normal operations.

This is much easier than faffing around with the spring connectors.

• Like 1

Two pairs of wires at the Elite end: one pair plugged into the track output; the other pair plugged into the programming track output.

Two pairs of wires at the track end: track output wires connected to the layout; programming track wires connected to separate programming track.

On first use of a new loco or new decoder - first put on the layout to test on default 03 address. Then when found operational, move to programming track to program to a different address for long term use, leaving 03 free for next new loco/decoder.  Also program other CV changes desired (accel, decel, CV29 switch off DC running being examples you may wish to change, or not).

PS.  Answering Ian’s from bottom of page 1 without realizing the 6 posts above this existed on page 2.

Edited by Fishmanoz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dBerriff said:

You could use the barrel connectors to manage with just one track. Connect 2 cables to the Elite as above and terminate them with male power plugs.

Add a female socket to the track connection. To programme: remove all locomotives from the track and connect up the Prog plug. Programme you locomotive(s).

Remove Prog plug; reconnect Track plug; resume normal operations....

A neat and convenient way to do things.

Each decoder ex-factory is by default on address 3. 

The main layout is attached to the Elite TRACK terminals. 

Set address 3 and the loco will respond.

Add another loco and both will respond to address 3 which is why having checked it works on the default you must readdress each loco to a new unique address. This can be short 1 to 127 or long 128 to 9999. The Elite will sort out where it stores the address and arrange the CV29 switch to use long or short addressing.

If the video shows 2 sets of wires into the track terminals tgey probably lead to more than one track power connector or they may be connected to a track bus and an accessory bus if motorised points are used.

Ditto to this : . . . Fishy said PS.  Answering Ian’s from bottom of page 1 without realising the 6 posts above this existed on page 2.  

• Thanks 1

I am so in awe of you guys. Your knowledge far exceeds anything I might know. I have soldered 2 wires (which I stripped from an obsolete floor steam cleaner ) onto a spare length of track as the programming  track as I don't have another power track. Oh, I have just seen Fishmanoz's post. So without any programming the loco should just work when placed on the circuit?. I didn't realise that. I'm learning all the time. I shall now pop into my bedroom and give that a try. Right I have done everything as per on here and programmed 2 locos. Unfortunately neither are showing any movement. I know the locos work. The elite responded to every input and the lines are electrified. Anyone on here live near Bury in Lancs? I really need a physical presence. 

Thanks to all,

Ian

To work the loco after programming on the programming track you have to put them back on the main track. You then select the address you just gave them and off you go. If the loco does not respond to the given address, go back to the programming track and attempt to read the address.

As @96RAF suggested above, after programming Loco, loco need to be back on the main track or on part of the track where power is coming from Elite with track on the back, after that you need choose which dial to use, by pressing that dial, enter the address and move the dial to get the Loco moving.

Edited by Deem

I’m assuming you’re saying you have programmed 2 locos, you programmed each to its own address?  Then you couldn’t run them on that address on the layout (not the programming track)?

If so, just check that they are not still on default 03 by trying to run them on that address on the layout.  That would be the case if your programming failed (not unheard of).

And that’s one of the advantages of starting new out of the box on address 03 on the layout: it proves if the loco is working before any programming attempts.

On 05/09/2024 at 01:57, Fishmanoz said:

You certainly need to confirm firmware version and update if not v1.45, then the downloaded manual is the one to use for this version.

Would that be the firmware which occsionally gets asked to update for the locos? If so I have just installed?? V7. Does that sound right?

I have been on with the tech dept for 40 minutes just now. Chris is soooo patient with me. We have tried everything but it would appear that my elite is poorly. It doesn't work. I'll have to contact the seller and ask for my money back, sadly. Thank you all for your help, maybe I'll be lucky in the future.

16 minutes ago, Ian-363170 said:

I have been on with the tech dept for 40 minutes just now. Chris is soooo patient with me. We have tried everything but it would appear that my elite is poorly. It doesn't work. I'll have to contact the seller and ask for my money back, sadly. Thank you all for your help, maybe I'll be lucky in the future.

Chris did mention the selct controller which is less 'complicated'. Has anyone any experiance with this unit and does it do the same job IE all the sounds and functions etc.?

27 minutes ago, Ian-363170 said:

Chris did mention the selct controller which is less 'complicated'. Has anyone any experiance with this unit and does it do the same job IE all the sounds and functions etc.?

It will operate all 29 functions (F0 to F28) at rev state 1.5 or better. It will write to CVs at rev state 1.6 or 2.0. It cannot connect to a PC and needs to be sent to Hornby for any required updates. It has an Xpressnet port so will accept a dongle in order to work regular DCC decoders thru' the HM | DCC app.

It cannot read CVs as effectively it programs on the main. Addressing is limited to Locos 1 to 59 and Accessories 61 to 99.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ian-363170 said:

out of curiosity, what is main issue with Elite?

22 hours ago, Ian-363170 said:

You couldn't want for nicer and more helpful guys than Chris and Ken in the Tech Dept.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2024 at 11:43, Deem said:

out of curiosity, what is main issue with Elite?

Sorry guys, been off for a few days and just got back on here. The main issue was the 'prog' connections. There was no power from them to the programme tracks so I couldn't programme the locos. Also, when I tried to run it on the main track as has been suggested, absolutely nothing. Now, today I have started from scratch with my 3 locos using my app. They all went fine but then stopped for no reason as they still showing blue. I've had 12 months of problems and it's wearing me down. After all this maybe you can understand my anxiety of spending £300 + from Hornby on a new elite but I can see no other way. But I think "surely it must work" as the 3 locos have shown they do receive signals.

I'm so glad that you guys have had contact with Chri, he really is such a cracking fella. I just wish Hornby had a workshop/engineer up here in't north. 

Anyway guys, thanks ever so much for ALL your help (but don't think you've heard the last of me! 🙂 

PS, the seller refunded my money with no quibbles.

Edited by Ian-363170
  • Like 1

I only have a small fleet of HM7000 locos but I have to say that everything has eventually worked. The worst thing that has happened is a new profile installation failing. It has always worked on the second attempt. The second worse thing is me forgetting about RESUME OPERATION CONTROL to kick-start a new setup. At OO (8-pin and 21-pin) and TT:120 (NEXT18-pin) scales they all make a noise and keep me happy playing with the functions, especially the diesel lighting functions. It can be fun...

At risk of being excommunicated from here, I will add that unless you want to use a HM7000 Dongle, it does not have to be an Elite.

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 1