Mixing 1/72 and 1/76

A J Rimmer

How well do the scales mix do you think?

I've been thinking of buying some of the RAF Recovery and refuelling sets from Airfix and combining them with a 1/72 aircraft to make some dio's, especailly a crashed Hurricane on the Queen Mary trailer as I have a spare ARMA fuselage. 

Not sure how it would look though - given the scale mis-match. 

I know some of you have made dios with the refueling sets etc. and wondered what you thought. 

Not everyone would agree, but personally I find the difference of no great significance and would happily pose a 1/72 aircraft with a 1/76 vehicle. It does beg the question why vehicles that are clearly aviation related would have been designed at 1/76 in the first place?!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, peebeep said:

It does beg the question why vehicles that are clearly aviation related would have been designed at 1/76 in the first place?!

from what i have read is that 1/76 is the railway scale and airfix back in the day made a lot of kits to go with this such as buildings and all sorts of railway things including vehicles (and some of these are under the dapol name now) but since then 1/72 scale has become the standard size that manufactures have settled on for models.

I read all of that because im helping my son build a model railway and he wants the airfix buildings to build and put on it hence finding out that dapol now have some of the moulds for these, but i am still reading and learning in this area so what i have learnt now could all change ☹️

Edited by paul71
  • Like 3

On 08/09/2024 at 11:59, Topcat_Ern said:

1/76 is 4 mm to the foot

1/72 is 4.2 mm to the foot

So a 5 foot bloke in 1/76 is 20 mm and in 1/72 is 21 mm

Andy

I've noticed that there are very big differences in the size of crew figures for different kits, so in that respect the exact scale doesn't matter.

There does seem to be a noticeable difference in the size of 1/76 or 1/72 vehicles though.

On 09/09/2024 at 13:52, paul71 said:

from what i have read is that 1/76 is the railway scale and airfix back in the day made a lot of kits to go with this

It is and they certainly did, originally it was the Airfix Trackside Series, but in what sense is an emergency set or Queen Mary trailer relatable to model railways except if your model railway includes an airfield? Come to that would you be posing AFVs on a railway or in a combat situation with model aircraft? It doesn't really matter now because 1/76 is pretty much dead in respect of armour models and figures. 

• Like 1

AFVs, ambulances, trucks etc were all carried on railway wagons.  Therefore it would make a lot of sense to have them the same scale!

Not too many fully assembled planes or ships travelled by rail though… can’t imagine why? 😉

• Like 1

Bear in mind that 1/72 is 18% bigger than 1/76. The proportions are 76^3/72^3 which is 1.176. Put another way, a 1/76 thing is only about 85% of the size it should be next to a 1/72 thing.

If you're putting vehicles next to planes, I doubt this matters. Figures are quite vaguely scaled too. It's a bigger issue when you put say a 1/76 Sherman next to a 1/72 Sherman. 

1/32 is 30% bigger than 1/35 so that's a really big difference. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peter Stiles said:

Are you sure? I thought you needed to be within a small range so as to fit into the seating properly?

I don't know how tall he was, but the RAF test pilot who flew Bf109 DG200 had the canopy removed because he didn't fit in there and it was lost 🤣

• Haha 1

• Air Force pilots. The Air Force did away with their standing height requirements in 2020, which limited pilots to a range of standing heights between 5’4″ to 6’6″. The USAF now uses an anthropometric screening process that matches physical attributes with suitable aircraft. The Air Force is also designing flight equipment to better suit women and shorter pilots.
  • US Navy pilots. The Navy requires pilots to be between 5’2″ and 6’5″, with a sitting eye height of 26 to 31.4 inches.
  • US Marine Corps pilots. Pilots in the Marines must have a sitting eye height of 26″ to 31.4″ and a total sitting height of 31″ to 40.9″. There is no standing height requirement.
  • Army pilots. The U.S. Army requires pilots to have a standing height of 5’4″ to 6’6″. They must have a sitting height of 40.15 inches and a reach of at least 64.5 inches.

Or at least ....so Google tells me! 

• Like 2