Min / Max Time waiting for your Hornby Pre-Order!!!

JJ73

My shortest?

This year on range release, I pre-ordered the Tiger Train Pack R30233.   That was the second Tuesday, 9 January.

It came into stock 15 February.  I received it very shortly thereafter.

15 Feb - 9 Jan = 5 weeks, 2 days 

My Longest?

Any "withdrawn" item.  It will never arrive, the meter keeps ticking....  Infinity?

Bee

Hello Bee - I don't want to 'Rub it in' but I've already got both the Tiger & the Lion Pack + 2 Pack of Rocket & 1 pack of 3rd Class & 1 Pack of Freight - Well that is my Selection of Era 1!!! I'm surprised that you haven't got the Tiger Train Pack already!!!???!!! 🤔😉🚂

Edited by JJ73

My min was Centenary Rocket train pack - ordered 9th Jan, retailer informed me it arrived 28th Feb & delivered to me couple of days later (so approx 7 weeks).

My max is not exactly Hornby (but is a subsidiary) Oxford Rail - Cowans Sheldon 15T crane - announced 21 Jan 2020 - latest update 15 Mar 2024 (unforeseen issues/delays have resulted in model going back to drawing board for modifications) - no idea when (or even if) it might actually exist, but not cancelled… yet! 😉

Edited by LTSR_NSE

I orered the Black 5 with smoke on January 30th 2022 and I'm still waiting. Currently scheduled for winter 2024/5. I shall never pre-order anything again.

Fastest was probably the new 9F which arrived within a couple of weeks or so.

1 hour ago, LesXRN said:

I orered the Black 5 with smoke on January 30th 2022 and I'm still waiting. Currently scheduled for winter 2024/5. I shall never pre-order anything again.

Fastest was probably the new 9F which arrived within a couple of weeks or so.

Yes I wondered about that one. I wondered if they were trying to resolve the issues with the drawbar. I think the longest I waited was for the  blue East Asiatic Company Merchant Navy, I think that was about three years.

2 hours ago, LesXRN said:

I shall never pre-order anything again.

Hi LesXRN

May I mildy disagree with that statement?

1) If / When the Black 5 becomes available, you will have it at the 2022 price, not the 'new' price.  Instant cost savings.  If you were going to buy it anyway, why not save the delta?

2) Unlike at retailers, Hornby does not demand a down payment.  Contrast this with the major US manufacturer Lionel.  10% down at preorder.  A Hornby pre-order costs nothing, and you can always cancel.  

Perhaps you would explain the downside from your perspective?

Bee

2 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Hi LesXRN

1) If / When the Black 5 becomes available, you will have it at the 2022 price, not the 'new' price.  Instant cost savings.  If you were going to buy it anyway, why not save the delta?

2) Unlike at retailers, Hornby does not demand a down payment.  Contrast this with the major US manufacturer Lionel.  10% down at preorder.  A Hornby pre-order costs nothing, and you can always cancel.  

Bee

I can understand the feeling, I don't know if other hobbies make their Customer wait so long. It definitely won't happen in a lot of fields because a lot of companies would be worried about the competition getting in before them and stealing their market. 

Hornby 2MT. Announced / ordered Jan 6 2020, received October 2023. Not the longest, but this was protracted, and there was very little information from Nov 20 to early 22. Mr Kohler at GETS 2021 told me March / April 22 for delivery. I don’t mind waiting if the result is good, and in this case it is, but communication needs to be better.

Edited by RDS
Typo corrected

Lucky you, in Australia you pay full price up front, or at least the last time I pre-ordered something and then the shop went bust and I did my dough. The last motor car I bought (RAV4) I had to wait over 12 months for delivery, but lucky me I got the newer model at the old price.

On 18/09/2024 at 20:58, What About The Bee said:

Hi LesXRN

Bee

Hi Bee.

I do apreciate that I will pay the original price, no problem with that.

My main gripe is that it's taken so long, I'm 73 now, so time is pressing. Besides that, I was told by a Hornby chap at the NEC in 2022 that it would be out in June 2023, obviously that didn't happen.

As most of us know, updated information keeps customers a lot happier, so I do wonder what the hold up is due to. 

I am still looking forward to receiving the loco though.

• Thanks 1