Sir Winston Churchill train pack

Kelvin9

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Postman Prat said:

On the basis of the above, maybe Bulleid signed the drawings after someone else designed the Spam Cans (It was your logic!!). Mind you, would anyone admit it........??
WHAT IS A SPAM CAN... NO DON'T ANSWER I DON'T

WANT TO KNOW JUST STOP POSTING RUBBISH.

Kelvin9 said:

fazy said:

he would have been pushing it then as the chains kept going on them
WHAT HAPPENED TO A ANSWER TO MY WISH

Kelvin,

I isn't something we humble mortals CAN answer, you have to put a request

on the questionnaire (look for the link at the head of the forum screen) and very soon you will receive a response saying something like "We aren't planning to make this, but thank you for your interest".

That is why some of us get carried away and

start inputting gobbledegook. It helps to relieve our frustrations, a kind of therapy.

on the forum wish list you will only get what other people will think with a lot of banter added for good luck but hornby will not answer. you will have to follow what LC&DR says to get any response from hornby themselves.

as for what i think is

this the loco motive as already been done but you may be lucky in the future and it may be redone in a updated form. the train may be historically interesting to some but i have to agree with what was said earlier that a lot of kids/young adults would not

have a clue who he is and probably would not care anyway. which in my view is a great shame of such a great man though by no way a perfect man as he got a lot of things wrong even in the war he did unite the people to fright and be able to win the war. which

he should be remembered for that alone.

as for spam cans that is one of the many nick names given to the SR MN &WC class loco motives the chains where part of the timing for the valve gear of the locos which well a great idea maybe just a bit to advanced

for the engineering of the day hence the BR rebuilding to remove them.

can you see hornby wanting to put the word Funeral on any red box of theirs

so in all if you what such a train then i would get all that is available and build the rest and renumber/name

your self. BUT you never know hornby my just make one.

Hello Kevin

I am going through the process of 'assembling' Winston Churchills Funeral Train, to run 'On the Day' on my layout for the 50th Anniversary.. So far I have the R2385 "NRM" approved 34051, R4451 Bogie Van S2464, Pullman Cars -'No 208' from

the DevonBelle expansion set R4380, 'Lydia' which comes from R2797M 'The White Pullman' Train Pack, 'Perseus' is in one of the 'V.S.O.E.' sets... To date i've personally not been able to locate 'Isle of Thanet' or 'Carina'.. So a bit of buying unamed Pullmas

might be in order and get the transfers to complete the job..

On an additional note.. It is likely that 'Carina' will be modelled soon as thats now at the Bluebell being reonvated (as I understand it) for the restored 'Brighton Belle EMU'.

And finally..

Bulleids pacifics in there original condition. In my area along the SOuth West mainline, we called them "Flat Tops" and I still do..

Best regards

IAN

IanTemple said:

Hello Kevin
I am going through the process of 'assembling' Winston Churchills Funeral Train, to run 'On the Day' on my layout for the 50th Anniversary.. So far I have the R2385 "NRM" approved 34051, R4451 Bogie Van S2464,

Pullman Cars -'No 208' from the DevonBelle expansion set R4380, 'Lydia' which comes from R2797M 'The White Pullman' Train Pack, 'Perseus' is in one of the 'V.S.O.E.' sets... To date i've personally not been able to locate 'Isle of Thanet' or 'Carina'.. So

a bit of buying unamed Pullmas might be in order and get the transfers to complete the job..
On an additional note.. It is likely that 'Carina' will be modelled soon as thats now at the Bluebell being reonvated (as I understand it) for the restored 'Brighton

Belle EMU'.
And finally.. Bulleids pacifics in there original condition. In my area along the SOuth West mainline, we called them "Flat Tops" and I still do..
Best regards
IAN

Hi Ian

A slight correction with regards to Carina (and I had to read the info twice) - Carina was obtained by the Brighton Belle Trust, but not for the Brighton Belle. Doris was owned by the Bluebell Line and is an original Brighton Belle carriage,

Carina was swapped with Doris, but will be refurbished to form part of the Bluebells Golden Arrow rake of carriages.

Regards

Barry

Thanks to everyone for their infomation and assistance much appreciated looks like I'll have to make up my own set, if Hornby doesn't make a set. thanks again everyone.....

IanTemple said:

Hello Kevin

I am going through the process of 'assembling'

Winston Churchills Funeral Train, to run 'On the Day' on my layout for the 50th Anniversary.. So far I have the R2385 "NRM" approved 34051, R4451 Bogie Van S2464, Pullman Cars -'No 208' from the DevonBelle expansion set R4380, 'Lydia' which comes from R2797M

'The White Pullman' Train Pack, 'Perseus' is in one of the 'V.S.O.E.' sets... To date i've personally not been able to locate 'Isle of Thanet' or 'Carina'.. So a bit of buying unamed Pullmas might be in order and get the transfers to complete the job..

On

an additional note.. It is likely that 'Carina' will be modelled soon as thats now at the Bluebell being reonvated (as I understand it) for the restored 'Brighton Belle EMU'.

And finally.. Bulleids pacifics in there original condition. In my area along

the SOuth West mainline, we called them "Flat Tops" and I still do..

Best regards

IAN

Kelvin9 said:

Postman Prat said:

On the basis of the above, maybe Bulleid signed the drawings after someone else designed the Spam Cans (It was your logic!!). Mind you, would anyone admit it........??
WHAT IS A SPAM CAN... NO

DON'T ANSWER I DON'T WANT TO KNOW JUST STOP POSTING RUBBISH.

I promised a respected Forum member, I would stay off this thread. The last time it appeared, as has this time, it made my BLOOD BOIL. Do not " Rubbish " respected Forum members,

we nearly lost a very valuable contributor due to such remarks.
I hope you now know what a " Spam Can " is, the Southern Q1 was also known by the same nick name.
Best of luck putting your interpretation of the train together, but as a very big Bullied,

and Southern fan, it is one of many events, and trains, that I have very negative thoughts about. I have carried out a lot of research and will not be swayed.

mortehoe said:

Kelvin9 said:

Postman Prat said:

WHAT

IS A SPAM CAN... NO DON'T ANSWER I DON'T WANT TO KNOW JUST STOP POSTING RUBBISH.

I promised a respected Forum member, I would stay off this thread. The last time it appeared, as has this time, it made my BLOOD BOIL. Do not " Rubbish " respected

Forum members, we nearly lost a very valuable contributor due to such remarks.
I hope you now know what a " Spam Can " is, the Southern Q1 was also known by the same nick name.
Best of luck putting your interpretation of the train together, but as a

very big Bullied, and Southern fan, it is one of many events, and trains, that I have very negative thoughts about. I have carried out a lot of research and will not be swayed.

As a huge Southern fan myself I find I have to rise above the mindless

witterings of the degenerates who cannot appreciate what a superb railway it was! I do so in the knowledge of our superiority, and attribute it to envy.

I don't object to the epithet 'Spam Can' too much because I rather like Luncheon Meat, especially

fried for breakfast, (and I have enjoyed this delicacy in such exotic places as Tan-y-Bwlch) but I have to admit I prefer the nicknames "Flannel Jackets" for the big'ns and "Light Pacifics" for the little'ns . The Q1s were always "Coffee Pots" or "Charlies"

to the people I knew who knew them professionally.

Southerners, especially those who worked at 'the Lane' and 'the Brick' were fond of giving nicknames to everything, many of them uncomplimentary, and if I used them here I would get a 'red card'.

Kelvin9 said:

bulleidboy said:

There is a "new" Hornby Winston Churchill on the auction site now. It is an auction, with a start price of £75.
went to have a look they will not post to new zealand, why do so many people in the uk

hate new zealand, i'm sorry we won the world cup.

You don't have to say sorry about winning the World Cup. Most people over here don't really care. When I was in NZ a few years ago the most important thing in the country was rugby. Everywhere seemed

to have an All Blacks shop, even the smallest town.

Why do you think people in the UK hate NZ, it's news to us. It's Australia and France we like beating, and having a laugh at the little dance you do before a match to try and scare us.
I loved

NZ, can't wait to go back, great country.

Awaite said:

There is some interesting video of the Spam Can's chain driven valve gear amongst some Bulleid action here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_mmDGlZHO0
Thanks very much for that, Awaite - a fascinating bit of old

film. Interesting to see the fireman opening the firebox door with his foot on a long pedal, presumably while the driver was pedalling or about to pedal the loco. Also fascinating to see that spam cans had to be assisted by a Stanier tender at times.

Hi Graskie

You cannot really say that the Bulleid Pacifics were assisted at times by fitting Stanier tenders. The only pacifics to be fitted with Stanier tenders were those taking part in the 1948 Loco Exchanges and only for the duration of

the trials. As the Southern Railway, and its predecesors, never laid water troughs their tenders were not fitted with water pick-up gear. To enable them to do so, Stanier tenders were fitted. Similarly, the water capacity of the Stanier tenders was insufficient

for use on the Southern Region so the Stanier Pacifics, and Royal Scots, were fitted with tenders from the WDs.

Hope this helps

Hi Fishmanoz, my best mate lives in Perth. Going to see him again in november. Love visiting OZ.

Being English I suppose beating the French and Scots is top of the sporting list, however, nothing will ever be better than the Ashes series. Win or

lose there is something really special.

We love it when your cricket team visit the UK. For some strange reason we have done rather well recently against you but we know you'll be back to your old selves again some time and we'll have to pull out all the

stops to beat you.

Not the next two series though, hopefully!

It's interesting you say that WTD as until early this century, English teams and athletes seemed to have an ability to find a way to lose. That was until your government got serious about sport, probably spurred by the Olympics and started doing the research

and spending the money on how to win. Now you're winning all over the place. My sport is Squash and we thought we were doing pretty well when we became a $1m sport a couple of years ago based on extra govt money for high performance. But it's nothing compared

with the 13m that your government has announced it will spend on the sport.

Anyway, back to trains.

Archived