Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

1. the Blue box teams shunters truck (I wanted one with the straight stanchions) - feels more flimsy than the Hornby one so if you want sloping stanchions or not bothered, I would recommend the Hornby one.

2. LMS CCT very nice model.

3. County

of Flint

4. Mainline 43XX (BR lined green) I hope to "turn back the clock" on this one by removing the outside steam pipes, smokebox door number plate and replace the uni-cycling ferret with GREAT (Garter) WESTERN. May even fit a copper capped chimney!

walkingthedog said:

No I've still got a bit left over BB. It was in the Sheffield sale, couldn't resist.

Look forward to seeing you if we're not iced in.

Currently in Graskieland - SWMBO says might be here until the

end of the month - I've told her that's the 25th January - if I have to watch another Disney video aaaaaah!

The Princess Royal class was, of course, one of Rovex/Tri-ang first locos in the 1950's, usually "Princess Elizabeth". All I know is that I now have one of Hornby's latest, "Princess Helena Victoria" with sound, with which, compared to the old models,

is pretty acceptable to me.

I have just tested my new B'mann Standard Class 4MT fitted with sound, lights and flickering firebox. Great! Now awaiting one of their 9F's with sound, lights, flickering firebox and smoke.

The old Triang 'Princess Royal' was a toy in every sense. A very good and robust toy, but hardly a scale model. It was far too short, and limited on detail, for example the safety valves were four 'pimples' on the top of the firebox. The gap between the

locomotive and tender was huge, necessary to negotiate 13 inch radius curves, and the wheels were extremely crude and out of proportion. The very earliest had plungers under the firebox pressing on to the rails to collect current, because the driving wheels

were entirely plastic! This had a negative affect on tractive effort. Most of us 'oldies' started with the Triang Princess, and being a Southern man, and as soon as Kitmaster brought out 'Biggin Hill' the original body got taken off and replaced with air smoothed

casing. Oddly enough the Triang chassis is nearly right for a Bulleid Light Pacific!

The recent Hornby model 'Princess Royal' is a very good product, it could possibly use a bit of an upgrade, but does capture the length and bulk of the real thing.

I was able to locate a locomotive that was a goal of mine: a Flying Scotsman! It's from about 1969 or 1970 and in the BR livery. My hope was to find an LNER one, but I'm not that picky!

It's in nice condition, but needs a good wash and brush up,

a smokebox front and pony truck. I was able to locate a pony truck on ebay, and there is also a supplier with the smokebox front!

Although it was in a shape that needs attention, the remarkable thing is that she runs beautifully! After some little things

to be done, she'll be pulling some of the longer passenger runs on my layout!

Found a new Great Northern (R2405 - from a model shop - not flea-bay).

I'm rather pleased... hopefully it will be OK when it arrives.

I might have paid £20 over the odds.

But the way prices are going, by the time Hornby release another LNER

A1, this will seem like a bargain.

The Princess will have to wait. But I would still like one. Even in the current form.

Just taken delivery of the Blue box Earl (GWR DCC fitted) very nice looking model but not too strong over my gradients (will not pull 3 corridor clerestories!

Also got some 6 pin decoders for my Hornby/Dapol/Mainline Dean goods these work quite

well on the one I've fitted but I've managed to strip the treads in the body so the screws wont hold the body on. So will have to drill these out and bush them with 1/8 plastic tube :(

Not a new acquisition as such, but I have started to build a 2Hal from a Phoenix kit.

Ah ha! you think LC&DR has gone mad now that Hornby are proposing to make one RTR. However the 2Hal came in two varieties, Hornby will be producing the main batch

(92 sets) , but after the War a further series were added to replace bomb damaged carriages, and these had the Bulleid flat fronted cab and all steel bodywork. and that is the one I am building.

So far the bogies, including the motor, are fitted to

the floor pan, and one body shell is completed just waiting for the two part epoxy to cure. Still a long way to go yet.

Latest acquisition arrived this morning. It's from the other guys and it's the Earl in GWR livery. Splendid job they've done on this one, runs a treat.

Now I am normally a NER/LNER man but this is not a betrayal, just a soft spot for 4-4-0's and Atlantics.

Hornby,

please make us a Klondyke!