Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

It is amazing how families of engineers dominated the railway CME positions, with the same surnames cropping up in different places, sometimes it was indeed the same person, T.W. Worsdell seem to have turned out similar 0-6-0s for the Great Eastern and

North Eastern, William Stroudley produced some remarkably Highland looking locomotives for the LB&SCR , and trhe Stirlings produced a whole range of similar locomotives for the Hull & Barnsley, the Great Northern, and the South Eastern etc..

Not only

that but the second in command often took ideas from his previous place of employment to his new employer when promoted as chief. Stanier took a lot of Swindon ideas to Crewe, and Bulleid took his pet P2 to the Southern, only to get it rejected by the Civil

Engineer - shame!

Thinking about it, it's not that surprising that families dominated if we think about the times. we have to remember that collages and technical collage would have been closed to most with out the means to pay for there education, The upper classes would

have looked down as a hole on what they would have seen as new money or having to work for a living. the working class would have struggled to get the education needed to rise to CME. SO this brings us to the middal classes and if you have a business or work

in one which proves to be lucrative in moneys and standing well this would be a obverse chose. and if you Just happen to know or better still be related to some one in a position of power, not wrong with a leg up.

I think that we had "Family firms", that being the big employer that would give jobs to much of the family once one had proved him or herself.

A class 128 midland version Parcels van. Very nice indeed!! to get back on thread.

Latest Acquisition a B'mann Consolidation & spare body. It bears a very strong resemblance to the USA 2-8-0s that came over in WW2. It also compares vary favourably with drawings in JH Russell's GW adsorbed locos so I intend to bash it a bit to get something

similar.

I brought a GCR 9J (LNER J11) from the blue box company in Great Central black livery. Given that all three of the Great Central RTR models have appeared in GCR livery (The D11/1 Improved Director, O4 and now the J11 Pompom), it would be great if Hornby

could also capitalize on interest in the Great Central and produce a locomotive such as the Robinson C4 Jersey Lilly.

Nope a couple of the Railroad ones, the ex-Thomas 0-4-0 moulding, quite a handsome model in the LBSCR livery. Brand new and for a bucket bargain price from another dealer who had a shed load of them, bought a couple for my self and the business. Fitting

the business ones with decoders so I can move them on the stall or on a certain site. Not into southern stuff, but I do like the LBSCR livery and that companies locos.

I got a micro sound chip for my blue box L&YR 2-4-2 tank and one of those sugar cube speakers. Fitted it this afternoon. Very impressed by the sound from this tiny little speaker and the fact that you can fit it and the decoder in that ridiculously small

space (after spending quite some time with different ways of arranging them!).

These were not easy to find

Hornby Class 142 - Northern Rail Class - Pacer (2 car)

B***man Class 158 - Northern Rail Class - Sprinter

These will be great for shuttling between stations, especially the sidings stations

DC fitted

No lights yet, maybe that will be an up and coming project.

PJ_model_trains said:

These were not easy to find

B***man Class 158 - Northern Rail Class - Sprinter

These will be great for shuttling between stations, especially

the sidings stations

DC fitted

My last message should have read.....

I spent ages searching for the Northern Rail DMU's and made notes of some whilst searching, I

was going to buy the Class 158 above but then found what I was looking for in Southern Ireland.

They were not easy to find but these are the ones I now have...

Purchased second hand DCC

Ready now DCC Fitted in very good condition

Hornby Class 153 - Northern Rail Class
Purchased new from Dublin DCC Fitted

Both Hornby ;-)

The Class 158 Northern is a train I am driving on Train Simulator TS-2014, I knew I had it written down for a reason.

I have learnt a lot from the Sim, you are the engine driver and see the track and everything else first hand.

It is also

good to learn how long it takes trains to speed up and of course the incredible distance to stop them, then replicating this with the models. I like RailMaster but the 2 speed settings for each loco are frustrating, I prefer to build up speed and likewise

slow down gradually just like in real life.

It is not just an experience to drive a train, it is also an experience to set off on time, complying with signals and speed limits and get to each station on time stopping in the right position on each station.

Sorry,

Back to topics ;-)

Graskie said:

I don't quite understand what you mean by the 2 RM speed settings for a loco, PJ. Are you talking about the hare and tortoise? If so, I just ignore them and use the slider appropriately.

Yes Graskie, that is what

I am referring to.

I use the sliders, sometimes it is hard to get precise speed control, I wish the % was manually controllable as well, we can then use slider to bring speed down and when coming into station type in 5, 6 or 10mph or whatever we choose.

I think manual control could be more accurate when programming routes, approaching bends with speed limits 10mph, 20mph etc.

Have you seen any of these speed limit signs anywhere? White circle, red border, black 20. (I know I didn't need to explain

that in detail to you)

PJ